Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

I knew it wasn't going to stop at civil war statues. Where will it stop? This may be as asinine as any to date.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/thomas-jefferson-statue-be-removed-new-york-city-hall-n1281768
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 20, 2021, 02:00:51 AMI knew it wasn't going to stop at civil war statues. Where will it stop? This may be as asinine as any to date.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/thomas-jefferson-statue-be-removed-new-york-city-hall-n1281768
Judging folks in the 1700s and 1800s by today's moral standards is stupid and dangerous. Peeps starting to look like the Taliban destroying Buddhist statues now. The same ones that have the "Coexist," All One" and "Tolerance" stickers on their bumpers, usually.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

Remove a Confederate Statue? A Tennessee City Did This Instead.
Some residents want the monument removed. In the meantime, Franklin, Tenn., erected a statue of a U.S. Colored Troops soldier, broadening the way the community memorializes the Civil War.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/24/us/remove-a-confederate-statue-a-tennessee-city-did-this-instead.html

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Trout Maharishi

They removed Teddy's statue in the middle of the night. -p-  >:(  
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on January 21, 2022, 23:11:00 PMThey removed Teddy's statue in the middle of the night. -p-  >:(   

Fuck them. They're like the Taliban.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

West Point removes Confederate monuments, including Robert E. Lee

West Point has begun removing Confederate monuments at the campus — including a portrait of Robert E. Lee, who once served as the storied military academy's superintendent, officials said.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/26/west-point-removes-confederate-monuments-including-robert-e-lee/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app
me -There's a season?

Al

What's next. Remove history books from libraries. We have already pretty much rewritten text books in our schools. Hitler, Mao and Stalin did that soon after outlawing public ownership of guns. It did not turn out well for the masses. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Al on December 28, 2022, 11:37:07 AMWhat's next. Remove history books from libraries. We have already pretty much rewritten text books in our schools. Hitler, Mao and Stalin did that soon after outlawing public ownership of guns. It did not turn out well for the masses. 

There are some very questionable history books out there.  Not every written word on our history is 100 percent correct.  Often there is an obvious bias.  Altering (or sugar coating or omitting) true history, which is based on data, facts, dates, and such, is a problem. 

Don't hold me to this, but I recall or read where the earliest history authors after the Civil War were southerners, with a certain, but understandable, bias.  Perhaps that is why we (aging dudes) were lectured as we were in school, frequently offered an incomplete or completely wrong picture.

Rewriting some of our history might not be a terrible idea, if the authors reveal the truth as best honest research will permit.     
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

More than 1,800
congressmen once
enslaved Black people.
This is who they
were, and how they
shaped the nation.

The Washington Post has compiled the first database of slaveholding members of Congress by examining thousands of pages of census records

https://wapo.st/3i0R67t

QuoteCities, towns, universities and other institutions across the country have started commissions to reconsider whose names should be on buildings and streets, and many institutions have removed statues and portraits because the people they honored enslaved others. But until now, there has never been a comprehensive list of slaveholding members of Congress.
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on December 28, 2022, 17:47:24 PMMore than 1,800
congressmen once
enslaved Black people.
This is who they
were, and how they
shaped the nation.

The Washington Post has compiled the first database of slaveholding members of Congress by examining thousands of pages of census records

https://wapo.st/3i0R67t

I don't remember reading this in any history book nor do I recall any teacher telling me.  I knew early in life that many were trying to bamboozle us youngsters.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

trout-r-us

"The same forces that took over public spaces to erect monuments to the Confederacy and its white supremacist tenets also kept a tight grip on the history taught to Southern pupils. The United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) spent decades shaping and reshaping textbooks to put a strong emphasis on Lost Cause views of the Civil War and Reconstruction, which glorified the white supremacist foundations of the Confederacy and was used to justify segregation and authoritarian Jim Crow governance."

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/education/2020/12/03/southern-history-textbooks-long-history-deception/6327359002/
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Their wealth was built on slavery. Now a new fortune lies underground.
In Virginia, the land still owned by the Coles family could yield billions from uranium.

Does any of that wealth belong to the descendants of the enslaved?

https://wapo.st/3PYBWw0
me -There's a season?

Onslow

The debate of who built the wealth is an interesting one. IMO, those who monetize are the ones who build wealth in terms of dollars. If the current landowner doesn't have the ambition and the knowledge to get the point where the uranium is extracted and monetized, the question has no relevance because the uranium's current value is only theoretical.

The scientists and engineers who figured out how to make uranium valuable are the ones who really earned the dough. 

One could also argue the land belonged to American Indians, and therefor have first dibs on hypothetical social injustice loot.

This nation is wealthy due to the abundance of natural resources, and people who are driven to succeed and/or very greedy.  Slavery played a role, but so did forced child labor. This land one was the possession of American Indians, and lost they more than Blacks. Modern Blacks and other nonwhites also benefit from the ill gotten Indian land.   All facts need to be on table, not just those sensational ones that sell newspapers.

trout-r-us

The only group that had been making a dime from the deposits over the last forty years has been some lawyers and possibly a few politicians 🤨. Now that it looks like Ole King Cole is selling the rights to a large corporation, we'll see how the politicians react to corporate pressure($$$$$).

https://cardinalnews.org/2022/12/22/experts-weigh-in-on-questions-about-uranium-mining-safety/
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus