Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

Lawmakers vote to remove Confederate name from highway

>>>RICHMOND, Va. -- The Virginia General Assembly has approved a bill renaming sections of U.S. Route 1 almost 100 years after it was named in honor of the first and only president of the Confederacy.

The bill, introduced by Del. Joshua Cole, D-Fredericksburg, passed the House earlier this month with a 70-28 vote. The Senate passed the measure earlier this week with a 30-9 vote.

Counties and cities have until Jan. 1, 2022 to change their portion of Jefferson Davis Highway to whatever name they choose, or the state will change it to Emancipation Memorial Highway.

"Change the name on your own, or the General Assembly will change it for you," Cole said to House committee members.

Sections of the highway that run through Stafford, Caroline, Spotsylvania and Chesterfield counties will need new signage and markers, according to the bill's impact statement. Commemorative naming signs will be replaced, along with overhead guide signs at interchanges and street-name signs. The changes are estimated to cost almost $600,000 for all localities. The changes in Chesterfield will cost an estimated $373,000 because there are 17 Jefferson Davis Highway overhead signs on Routes 288 and 150.

The United Daughters of the Confederacy conceived the plan for Jefferson Davis Memorial Highway in 1913, according to the Federal Highway Administration. Davis was a Mississippi senator who became the president of the Confederacy during the Civil War. The Virginia General Assembly designated U.S. Route 1 as Jefferson Davis Highway in 1922.

https://www.nbc29.com/2021/02/26/lawmakers-vote-remove-confederate-name-highway/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

$200,000 worth of damage done to presidents, Confederate graves at Virginia cemetery

More than 18,000 Confederate soldiers and generals are buried there

>>>Gravestones and memorials were toppled and spray-painted at a cemetery in Virginia that holds the graves of two U.S. presidents as well as Confederate soldiers and generals.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that $200,000 worth of damage was done Saturday at the Hollywood Cemetery.

The cemetery spans 135 acres and overlooks the James River in Richmond. More than 18,000 Confederate soldiers and generals are buried there.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2021/03/16/200000-worth-of-damage-done-to-presidents-confederate-graves-at-virginia-cemetery/

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://richmond.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/damage-to-vandalized-gravestones-and-memorials-at-hollywood-cemetery-exceeds-200-000/article_d078c4fb-379d-525c-8f41-c80fd39e8f12.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 17, 2021, 09:17:38 AM$200,000 worth of damage done to presidents, Confederate graves at Virginia cemetery

More than 18,000 Confederate soldiers and generals are buried there

>>>Gravestones and memorials were toppled and spray-painted at a cemetery in Virginia that holds the graves of two U.S. presidents as well as Confederate soldiers and generals.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that $200,000 worth of damage was done Saturday at the Hollywood Cemetery.

The cemetery spans 135 acres and overlooks the James River in Richmond. More than 18,000 Confederate soldiers and generals are buried there.

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2021/03/16/200000-worth-of-damage-done-to-presidents-confederate-graves-at-virginia-cemetery/

https://richmond.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/damage-to-vandalized-gravestones-and-memorials-at-hollywood-cemetery-exceeds-200-000/article_d078c4fb-379d-525c-8f41-c80fd39e8f12.html#tracking-source=home-top-story
I don't care what ideology, color, background or whatever, this shit has got to stop. Needs to be a full blown investigation and whoever was involved needs to pay the piper.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

jwgnc

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) — Things look very different in downtown Asheville. That's because, after standing tall for more than 120 years, the Vance monument has now been taken down, stone by stone.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Sedition and Pockets

:wave  :wave  :wave  :wave  :wave  :wave  :wave  :wave  :wave  :wave  :wave  :wave

Woolly Bugger

The North Carolina Court of Appeals on Friday ordered the city of Asheville and Buncombe County to halt the demolition of a Confederate monument while an appeal plays out.

The city has already removed the 75-foot tall obelisk honoring Confederate colonel and Gov. Zebulon Vance from its base downtown but was still dismantling remaining portions.

The court's order specifies that the city and county must stop "any further action to deconstruct, demolish or remove the Zebulon Baird Vance Monument" pending an appeal filed by the Society for the Historical Preservation of the 26th North Carolina Troops, WLOS-TV reported.

https://www.heraldsun.com/news/state/article251916503.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Washington and Lee University won't strip Confederate leader from name
The Virginia school said it regrets a past that includes "veneration of the Confederacy school," but some say that's not enough.

>>>The board of trustees of Washington and Lee University on Friday voted 22-6 not to remove Confederate general Robert E. Lee's name from the Virginia school's moniker. The decision came after months of review and a year of racial justice protests across the nation that questioned the veneration of Confederate figures.

"We found no consensus about whether changing the name of our university is consistent with our shared values," the university said in a statement. "Nor is there consensus on whether changing the name will position the university to be the most successful it can be in the future."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/washington-lee-university-won-t-strip-confederate-leader-name-n1269719
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Documentary examines troubled past with Confederate statues

>>>NEW YORK — Perplexed by America's controversial relationship with Confederate monuments, "The Daily Show" team member CJ Hunt saw potential for what he thought would make an interesting short film.

But not long after beginning the project, he realized a much bigger story was revealing itself and it became "The Neutral Ground," a feature-length documentary that premiered Saturday at the Tribeca Film Festival and will available July 5 on PBS.

The serious, yet funny, documentary examines the Lost Cause, the campaign that mythicized the Confederacy after the Civil War and continues the narrative that the conflict was more about freedom than the right to own slaves.

"You can't name another war where the losers get thousands of monuments," Hunt recently told The Associated Press in an interview promoting the film.

https://www.jonesborosun.com/documentary-examines-troubled-past-with-confederate-statues/article_0c848291-3316-5038-8c3a-fe6f4f0281dd.html
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 22, 2021, 11:22:09 AMDocumentary examines troubled past with Confederate statues

>>>NEW YORK — Perplexed by America's controversial relationship with Confederate monuments, "The Daily Show" team member CJ Hunt saw potential for what he thought would make an interesting short film.

But not long after beginning the project, he realized a much bigger story was revealing itself and it became "The Neutral Ground," a feature-length documentary that premiered Saturday at the Tribeca Film Festival and will available July 5 on PBS.

The serious, yet funny, documentary examines the Lost Cause, the campaign that mythicized the Confederacy after the Civil War and continues the narrative that the conflict was more about freedom than the right to own slaves.

"You can't name another war where the losers get thousands of monuments," Hunt recently told The Associated Press in an interview promoting the film.

https://www.jonesborosun.com/documentary-examines-troubled-past-with-confederate-statues/article_0c848291-3316-5038-8c3a-fe6f4f0281dd.html

<Hunt said Southern secession documents clearly put slavery first as the reason for the division. But after the Civil War, the film points out that a successful propaganda campaign shifted the cause from being about owning people as property to state's rights and patriotism.

A reluctance to actually read primary source documents about historical events perpetuates the myth, "Sadly, our idea of history is really just like stories that were handed to us," he said.>

Insightful, and may help explain the quandary.  Do we lack intellectual curiosity?  I say yes.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Al

We are so fucked up - I would not be surprised to see the Vietnam Wall come down soon.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Antietam preservation group purchases land outside national battlefield

>>>The site is high ground that overlooks the final assault of Gen. Ambrose Burnside's attack on the afternoon of Sept. 17. Confederates under Gen. A.P. Hill stopped Burnside's advance, saving Gen. Robert E. Lee's army from defeat.

"Southern artillery from New Orleans occupied the position we purchased," Clemens said in the news release. "From this high ground Confederate cannoneers could pound Burnside's assault."

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/story/news/2021/08/16/save-historic-antietam-foundation-inc-purchases-battlefield-land/8105493002/
me -There's a season?