Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

In Winston Salem at the old courthouse
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Great War (WWI) memorial at the old Forsyth County Courthouse
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Shot this one in Morganton back in 2011 honoring the 1100 dead from that county
me -There's a season?

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 07, 2015, 12:12:03 PM
The call to have their upkeep costs eliminated and in some cases the call to remove them has begun.

If we think this will be restricted to civil war monuments, you are likely wrong. There are plenty of black grievances over how they were treated in WW1, 2, Korea and Vietnam.

Pandora's box is open.

Perhaps we can bulldoz the Alamo next.

Once we have gone through all the offending statutes, physical memorials, buildings, locations (Ft Bragg, Ft Lee, etc) we can start on street names. Rename all streets with letters or numbers so as to not risk offending anyone. 

Let's run it to it's logical conclusion and eliminate all the Martin Luther King memorials as well

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 07, 2015, 12:12:03 PM
The call to have their upkeep costs eliminated and in some cases the call to remove them has begun.

If we think this will be restricted to civil war monuments, you are likely wrong. There are plenty of black grievances over how they were treated in WW1, 2, Korea and Vietnam.

Pandora's box is open.

Perhaps we can bulldoz the Alamo next.

Not everything unleashed from Pandora's Box is evil.  Hope is at the bottom and the last thing to emerge, the last thing remaining to clean up the hells.   

Let all of us get our undies in a wad and speculate what could transpire. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Transylwader

Quote from: Al on July 07, 2015, 12:37:43 PM
  Let's run it to it's logical conclusion and eliminate all the Martin Luther King memorials as well
:embarassed:
Al, my man...how dare, um, never mind. :laugh:
In 2006, Derek Alderman, a cultural geographer at East Carolina University, reported that more than 730 American cities had named a street after King. 70% of these streets were in seven Southern states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Texas
Who the fuck is paying for this? NWA?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 07, 2015, 13:22:39 PM
For a guy who is pretty liberal in his worldview, I don't understand your concept of free speech.

You don't really know me.

I believe old François-Marie Arouet might have known you in an earlier life.

"The secret of being boring is to say everything."  Voltaire

Big J

I just find it odd when you have a world filled with awful humanitarian issues and we have the U.S. social media and news media blowing up over a stupid flag and homosexuals being able to marry now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3152034/Tied-bed-injected-morphine-stay-silent-beaten-badly-couldn-t-walk-two-months-Two-teenage-Yazidi-sex-slaves-relive-unspeakable-cruelty-suffered-hands-ISIS-fighters.html

I think Americans really take their freedoms for granted.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 07, 2015, 13:59:51 PM
you're right, I don't know you. I do notice your propensity to switch to silliness when a reasonable reply alludes you.

Being a clown doesn't win an argument.

Stick to flatlander.

First, you presumed I thought your reply was reasonable.  Second, you assumed your reply alludes (I think you meant eludes) me. And third, I did not know we were arguing.

You were correct that I was being a silly clown, because this entire issue makes me laugh.  But hey, I'm a weirdo.

Honestly, I don't care if they remove flags, statues, monuments, pictures, street signs, etc. or leave them intact as they rest.  I don't believe I was ever moved by such at any public facility.  Now, at places like Civil War battlefields, museums, the VVM Wall, and National D-Day Memorial, I was touched.

Woolly Bugger

Most of the memorials in the south were erected with funds from the Daughters of the Confederacy. Don't know who pays to maintain them. There was that big stink in Reidsville a few years back when some guy drove into a statue and it had to be moved to private land.  The were put in place to remember the fathers who were lost in the war not to honor the confederacy. They are all Americans, remove the flags and keep the markers.

Besides y'all have missed the point, I want you guys (Yankee talk) to post up pics of your local monuments, civil, or any other war!
me -There's a season?

AL trout bum

Quote from: Transylwader on July 07, 2015, 13:44:34 PM
Quote from: Al on July 07, 2015, 12:37:43 PM
:embarassed:
Al, my man...how dare, um, never mind. :laugh:
In 2006, Derek Alderman, a cultural geographer at East Carolina University, reported that more than 730 American cities had named a street after King. 70% of these streets were in seven Southern states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Texas
Who the fuck is paying for this? NWA?

And you don't want to go down any of them unarmed. Kind of funny, like Chris Rock said: "What did Martin Luther King Jr. stand for? Non-violence! And I don't care where you are in America, if you're on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, there's some violence going down! You can't call somebody and say, 'I'm lost on MLK!' Run!"

Classic, total classic
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

A Virginia boy --- Booker Taliaferro Washington --- war against ignorance

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Ralyd on July 07, 2015, 18:53:42 PM

Rolling memorial to the fabulous dead, I-85 South, Greenville Co., SC.

I am confused by this!
me -There's a season?

Al

TF -  "I bet there's a guy on here that met/knew the last two"

I knew of Bull Simons (He was a legend in SF even before the raid) but never met him. The Son Tay Raid took place while I was between tours and attending school. I didn't know Dick Meadows until after the raid - as I said in a recent post, he and I were operations officers (S-3) during the last days of active US involvement in Vietnam. I also knew 4 of the Son Tay raiders. Served with one before the raid and 3 after the raid.

Troutbum Al - "And you don't want to go down any of them unarmed. Kind of funny, like Chris Rock said: "What did Martin Luther King Jr. stand for? Non-violence! And I don't care where you are in America, if you're on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, there's some violence going down! You can't call somebody and say, 'I'm lost on MLK!' Run!"

Sad commentary but true.