News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Hook Set

Started by badankles, April 29, 2006, 21:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badankles

well, i'm still new at this but have been trying hard these past few months. i'm loving the recent top water action but having trouble setting the hook consistantly.

i've tried raising the rod along with stripping the line a bit right when the fly is taken...splash, raise, strip...nothing.

i've tried giving it a couple seconds before raising the rod but then i see the fly float back up...splash...wait...raise, strip...nothing.

what's the secret? how about imparting some advice to a newbie?
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Woolly Bugger

1. Don't set the hook too slowly or quickly, either one could cause the loss of the fish. Stocked fish tend to take the fly slower than wild fish, which are often lightening quick. This can be one of the hardest things to learn as it changes with conditions and the fish.

2. Fly fishing hooks are small and should be kept sharp. It doesn't take a lot of force to set the hook. Sometimes the fish may end up hooking itself when it turns with the fly.

3. You can't set the hook with slack line, keep it tight.

4. Lift the rod and either pinch the line with your index finger on the rod or strip in some line with the other hand. Some perfer setting the hook with a much more horizontal action over a vertical lift.

5. Practice, practice, practice.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Very good advice by Woolly.

Better to be a little late then a little early in hook set. Most fish will hook themselves if you just raise the rod as if you are making another cast. If you miss the fish or it was a false alarm, follow through with the cast and plunk it back down in the same spot - if it was a fish and you didn't "stick him", he may come back for it.

Shane

I try to think of a fly as peanut butter sandwich with a nail in it. The bigger the nail, the sooner you'd spit it out. In other words, big fly, strike quickly, little fly strike quickly.
If it's in his mouth, set the hook.

S

troutphisher

Be patient, Absales brings up a good point about anticipation. I have always waited until the fly was no longer visible (pulled under the water) then a slight flick of the rod tip and hook is set.
Try a subtle flick of the rod tip, you maybe jerking  the fly out of the fishes mouth by trying to set the hook to hard.

My $.02
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

badankles

thanks y'all.  i guess i may have had unrealistic expection that i should be able to connect most of the hit on the fly.  i feel better now and with your advice, my percentages should go up.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...