Smith River TU Presentation 6-4-15 / Fishing with Anthony Hipps

Started by Al, June 07, 2015, 09:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Smith River TU was fortunate to have well known fly fisherman, celebrity fly tier and frequently published author Anthony Hipps  join us at our June 4th meeting to talk about  "The Joys of Fly Fishing for Warm Water Species".
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Most folks think of fly fishing as a sport exclusively for catching trout. Anthony pointed out we are missing lots of fun filled opportunities with that theory.

Not only are warm water species fun to catch, some species such as bream are a great way to teach kids and novice anglers the skills of  fly fishing.

And don't forget many warm water species are very prolific and  delicious eating

At the conclusion of his presentation Anthony broke out his fly tying vice and showed us how to tie some of the flies and poppers which have made him mildly famous in fly tying circles..

I hosted Anthony overnight at my "get away" place back in the woods just outside the big city of Bassett VA. This place dates back to circa 1910 and if the walls could talk would tell some interesting stories.   While eating breakfast the following morning we were entertained by deer on the lawn.  Our initial plan was to sample the nearby Smith River for trout but there had been a lot of rain and the water, although fishable, was stained beyond what most fishermen would call ideal.  Not to fear - I had a backup plan.

I have a wonderful friend who allows me access to his remote 6 acre pond which is filled with bream and bass. I have stashed a 12 foot Jon Boat and trolling motor there and it all makes for some very memorable fishing. It did not take Anthony long to prove his bream poppers work.

Being stubborn and set in my ways I stuck with what works for me, i.e. a bass size popper on top to do double duty as bass attractor/indicator. I then drop an Allieworm  about a foot off the bend of the hook.

My set up was out-fishing Anthony 2 to 1 so he added a dropper, yep - you guessed it, I sold him an Allieworm at stream side prices :P , and he was soon catching doubles.

Now this one looks a little more substantial!

We both caught several like this (sorry, we were having so much fun I neglected to take many pictures). This one was caught on the popper/indicator. We both had several grab the small dropper which would hold the smaller ones but the large ones have such a tough mouth that we had difficulty getting the hook into them before they pulled off.  After catching all the bream we wanted we cut off the double rig. Anthony tied on a Clouser and I tied on a Woolly Bugger. Both drew vicious strikes from the bass.

The larger bream went on ice. I've since heard from Anthony who said "Thank God we didn't keep them all". He also gave thanks to whoever developed the electric filleting knife.

That's it folks. Smith River TU had a great program at it's June 4th meeting and I had a wonderful day with a good friend and talented fly fishermen Anthony Hipps.