News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Brookie fix

Started by Onslow, June 02, 2015, 17:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Started receiving lame assed texts last night from the shitrock sub I have to work behind.  He couldn't just straight up and tell me he didn't get the beaners to sand the shitrock.  No trim and cabinet installs for me until the sanding is complete.  Spent a better part of the morning checking the readiness of other jobs and finally thought, to hell with all of this stupid shit.  Serenity now!

Went to a local watershed that has two forks and a main stem.  The lower end is about 1600' and has a northern trib, and southern trib.  Most folks hit the southern branch.  I and someone well known on this forum was skunked in recent years on the northern trib. First order of business was to find out what the heck is going on with the northern branch. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

But first, I started snapping up fish at the main stem.  Cockroaches.  Were in the fuck did the come from?

Making my way up the north trib

This will scare all the weak away.

Water was a little dingy on this branch, but the larger specimens were on the dirty mean little northern branch

Moved one about 9", quick released one over 8, the one below was just below 8"

Landed about 10 per hour on the north trib.  Rates of quick release were much higher.

This scared me away.  Only .25 mile of 2 miles worth on this branch.  Didn't get my nuts in a vise by needing to make a quick exit down this terrain if T storms approached.

I hadn't tried the south branch, so I gave it a whirl.  It was slightly larger and a bit cleaner.  Not as much plunge pool, and the fish seemed a bit smaller, but more colorful.

Sumbich getting a serious tan.

1000+ fpm gradient.

Three of the largest pools didn't produce.  Big daddys layin low.

Started raining about 2 and made a hasty exit.  Bolts followed soon after.  Still a very great outing.  Landed about 10 or more per hour.  Took a detour on the way home and scouted a nice 2.5 mile section in the New River basin that has both browns and specs.  Things are very busy at work and will probably not do another trip for a month or two.

The Dude

Wow, is the northern trib always that dingy or was it due to recent rains?  I can't believe nothing came from that big pool. Did you nymph it?  Brookies are like Browns that way, though. They turn on and shut down at different times of the day.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Dee-Vo

Dougfish

'c;
Like the dude said. Snip off the lighter stuff and go big and heavy. You might be rewarded.  /'/

benben reincarnated

Transylwader

Mayne...
You have resurrected the fuck out of that urea. Holy shitballs.
Now quit texting all these have not peckerheads who are a fucking mockery to hi gradient shiznitz!

Big J

Serenity now, brookies, high grad stream, and a Bruce Jenner joke all in one post? Outstanding!

Aka

Great looking little cricks.