News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Quick and dirty.

Started by Onslow, May 30, 2015, 19:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Available water time has been rather scant lately.  I managed to break away for 2.5 hours but unfortunately, many of the local bass streams were blown out.  White knuckles to the Blue Ridge it was.  80 minutes for travel, 25 minutes for walking, and 45 for fishing were the time allocations. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

First time on this creek.  It is undesignated water in no mans land. Yes, this was probably illegal, but it felt good.

Due to it's close proximity to a major thoroughfare the stream banks and portions of the stream were littered with blasted granite shards.  Stinging nettles were abundant as well as other usual plants, and some I'm not familiar with.

Things started off a bit slow.  After about 20 minutes, I noted yellow sallies flying about.  Tied on a small tellico and started seeing action.  Lots of sub pecker sized specks that quick released.  Finally landed one about the time I needed to leave.  Stayed an extra ten minutes and had several more smacks and lost the nicest fish of the day.  It was about 7-8 inches.  Overstayed by 10 minutes but still made it home in time to grill some steak and pork chop.

Signs of human activity everywhere.  I saw what appeared to be a defunct canvas covered likker operation just 30' from the highway.  It could have been an abode for a homeless person.  I will most definitely be back to this creek. Only covered about a .25 of a mile.  There is another .75 to cover before one ends up in a hillybilly's back years.

Aka

You do fish some sketchy shit. I like that you go from describing a hobo shanty to stating you'll be back to fish that stream without skipping a beat.

Dee-Vo

Good looking flow dude. Glad ya got out.

Onslow

Quote from: AKAaron on May 30, 2015, 21:51:37 PM
You do fish some sketchy shit. I like that you go from describing a hobo shanty to stating you'll be back to fish that stream without skipping a beat.

There simply isn't much in the way of public land in these parts.  SMP and a little BRP land is it.  Once cannot afford not to be resourceful here.  I will admit however that finding a stream like this right under the public's nose is quite exhilarating. There are many drainages like this nearby. 

I'm also looking for new streams because of anxiety of the potential loss of streams that I have relied on for as long as 20 years.  Homes are popping on my favorite beat, you know the one that produces all the browns over 18"  Canopy is being removed, hillsides bulldozed.  I've already noticed a huge drop in the formerly most productive bend in the river.

One of my other favorites is covered in rock snot, and another has 1800 acres of adjacent land for sale.  Once this land goes, I'm sure this land will be developed :'(  The latter stream is fairly large and contains all three species of wild trout.  Needless to say, I'm quite motivated to find some new waters.

Dougfish

You done it again.  :o

Deutzia (not native)
Virginia Waterleaf
Goatsbeard

Big J

Man you fish some sketchy stuff.   'c;

The Dude

Nice photos.  Looks like a really high gradient stream.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Transylwader

I shoulda fished yesterday. Horse shows suck...

Onslow

Quote from: The Dude on May 31, 2015, 08:25:52 AM
Nice photos.  Looks like a really high gradient stream.

A steady 900 fpm gradient for a mile through the gorge.  Drainage size is just under a square mile at the top of the gorge where the jaunt commenced @ 2500'. Great Pee Dee watershed.  I was expecting much larger drops with this kind of gradient.

benben reincarnated

Onslow

Went back to this shit hole to penetrate a little deeper.  Trash, cairns, atv trails, grill grates were all found as I went further downstream into the gorge.  Also some serious ledges.  It is dark and deep in there.  G4s do not shoot well in dim light. 

This owl was my buddy and protector for the day.  It followed me through the entirety of this jaunt.

The bite was decent.  Spent about 1.5 hours on the crik and caught about 15.  Six were about the sized pictured.  Cannot seem to find any larger.

No hobos were found, I'm still alive and didn't get arrested for trespassing.

Dee-Vo

The owl is neat. They are interesting creatures. Good to see you made it without altercation. Nice fishes.

benben reincarnated

Ken, that creek reminds me of a few not too far from town.  They don't have much water in them in general but somehow the brookies have managed to eek out a living for decades.  I've even been surprised a few times by a few larger fish found hiding in them as well.

Big J

Owl in daylight = bad omen.

Good sketchy report PIW.

driver

Next time you have a owl following you throw one of those pune bookies on the bank in the direction  of the owl. He'll probably swoop down for meal.  If it was following you, it has probably made an association with humans and food.