News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Paging Carp experts

Started by Onslow, May 23, 2015, 17:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

A fishing bud of mine observed an ass load of dead carp in a river in Randolph County last weekend.  Anyone care to speculate as to the cause?  I'm hoping this was just a result of egg dropping and jizzing, and not a fish kill caused by chems or low oxygen.  Other fish were caught on the river, and other schools of carp were seen.

Michael Toris

This sounds like a fish kill to me. Carp do not die post spawn.

Onslow

What about spawning + low oxygen, and scarcity of forage?  These fish are probably not full time residents of this particular section.

Michael Toris

Low oxygen is the I only listed thing which would kill a large stock of fish at one time

bullship

Poison. A lot of it. Carp are hard to kill
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Stone-Man

My guess would be a localized poison. IE-- farmer cleaned out the fertilizer tank in a small feeder.

JT

Michael Toris

Could have been a combination of ag run off creating an algal bloom. The algae would perform photosynthesis during the day producing copious amounts of oxygen, but respire at night,  dropping the oxygen levels to below 1-2 ppm. Many fertilizers work the same in water as they do on land.

Could also have been a harmful algal bloom like pyroflagellete.

Onslow

I've reported this incident to the NCWRC D5 biologist.  Hopefully she'll make a move quickly.

The Dude

Maybe Duke Energy is culpable.   :laugh:

But accountability for Duke Energy in North Carolina is like UNC athletics/academics fraud - hold your breath waiting on justice to prevail and see what happens.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Onslow

Move quickly as in testing the water.

It is saddens me that so few flat foots on this forum give two fucks about our warm water flows.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Yadkin River Keeper seems to not give a damn about certain areas.

Onslow

Transylwader