Hardly Strictly Musky 15'

Started by bmadd, May 06, 2015, 20:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmadd

Thanks guys.

Big J, those rivers have plenty of deep holes for those fish to hide in. The fish I moved came from less than 3' of water though. It's real cool to see all the different types of water available to an angler on that system.

sanjuanwormhatch

I could probably get down with that circle jerk.

By the way, has anyone ever been swimming in that river and been EATEN by a musky?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This is how the Virginia Tech Hokies do it.   This young Hokie caught this 43" on the 10th cast and was the first muskie of the day, last Saturday.   Gobble, Gobble, you neophytes!   

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

I feel sorry for him, he has been cursed.  I caught a musky on my first outing and it was over two years until I caught my second.....

Aka

Dee-Vo

Nothing like a yard full of cock. Game cock that is.....

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: DRIFTS on May 07, 2015, 06:00:40 AM
I say we make it happen next year bro...so we need to start practice as soon as the stripa run is over /'/

Holler I've been itchin for a driftin
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

JMiller

Nice.

I went down Thursday and fished. Stuck two. One spit the fly, the other left me with this:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Also had a couple more follows, but just wasn't able to make it happen.

So, Ive been using those ToothyCritter pre-made steel leaders. Obviously I now have no confidence in them after seeing that clasp bent so easily.

Anyone mind sharing their successful leaders/rigging?
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Big J

JMiller

Quote from: Big J on May 07, 2015, 15:26:50 PM
You can buy their snaps separately if you want too.

http://www.stealthtackle.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=15_18

Wow, only $14 each. What a steal!

Gotta pay to play I guess.
How about just some 50lb flouro line with a no-slip loop knot in it?
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Big J

You can make your own with their snaps and just buy your own fluoro.  I like to have a swivel on my set up.  Keeps my line from twisting.  Use to fish 50 lb test to bite tippet to fly, but WMT showed me the light.  He also showed me why 30 lb test break section is too light by observing him breaking off a fish with a hook set.  I run 50 lb fluoro to a Stealth Tackle 80 lb leader.

JMiller

― Charles Bukowski

bmadd

I ran about 30" of 50 lb fluoro with a large no slip loop knot. I then had all my flies already tied with a 12" section of 40 lb wire with loop knots on each end. You make the loop on the fluoro section big enough to put your flies through for easy fly changing. I didn't have a problem with twist, no idea about strength unfortunately.

TheYiman

I'd been looking forward to last weekend for nearly 2 years.  The Southern Classic is truly Hardly Strictly Musky.  It is a gathering of great folks from all over the country that get together to chase Musky and enjoy tasty food, cold drinks, live music, tall tales with some truth, and much more.  It was a blast fishing with bmadd and Mike, our Yankee bud from Illinois.  Mike brought down a sweet ride for the tourney.  We may not have boated any Musky, but it was a great fishing trip none the less.

I stopped by a friend's on the way out there Thursday morning.  His garage looks like a fly shop.  He sent me with a few new creations to try.

The water looked to be in great shape when I arrived Thursday afternoon.  The weather cooperated this year.  Years past have been blown.

Nine fish hit these boards last weekend.  Too bad Team 09's did not...

How do these things work?

Cheers to Braden's yellow fly that saw the only good fish.

Action shot, running skinny in the Towee Jet.

A new addition to the tournament this year was a river clean up put on by the PigFarmInk folks.  It was a great idea and success.  All kinds of shit was pulled out of the rivers while anglers fished.  We cleaned up trash around one of the accesses we used and brought in this old entertainment center.  I think it had been out there awhile.

The day after the tournament I went fishing with another Musky nut.  We took his boat out to some waters that would not have been fished during the tournament but couldn't run as far up this trib as we wanted.  The water was way too skinny for Musky, so we ended up converting our 10 weight musky rigs to bass rigs and fished for small Spotted and Smallmouth Bass.

Officially a pune bass on a 10 weight.  Big bend.  We cleaned up on these for awhile.  Then headed home.

We couldn't figure out this nice Smallie.  Hit it with many a fly, never would move.  We went over to it as we left and it turns out, the fish had no left eye.  Tucked up under the log, couldn't see a thing.  Still a nice bass though, prolly round 18 or so.

I'll probably put down the Musky till next fall.  It is time to bass fish.  But I am already looking forward to Hardly Strictly 16, rumor is it's gonna be a Fall event.