News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Blooming Brookies

Started by Dougfish, May 04, 2015, 05:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Last week I took cuz out for his first troot of the year, this week I dragged my boy Paul out into the hills.
He is a fellow plant geek, VT hort grad and employed in the industry. Yeah, we have a few things in common.
After a hearty breakfast we hit two streams and enjoyed the bloom fest of this glorious spring.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Pinxterbloom Azalea

Beetle will remember this stream. Gobs of water yesterday. :o Hard to wade.

False Salomon's Seal

Caught lots of dinks.

Caught a couple of bruisers.

Wood Anemone

Jack-in-the-Pulpit

Perfoliate Bellflower

Oink

Wake Robin Trillium

And we saw a gazillion Yellow Lady Slipper plants. Probably 10-14 days from blooming. And lots of fern....

Good day. Now, about this garage......

0:0

Big J

Dang, that last brookie is a pig.  You did good, especially considering the county and stream you were fishing  /'/

NCsporksman

Transylwader

I wouldn't mind seeing skyline drive right about now. Must be a myriad of greens.
Errbudday be gittin bluelining in. Gewd shit ek se.

Aka

Hell yeah Doug E Fresh that's a healthy brookie!  d:b
If you shut the garage door it won't look so messy.

Beetle

Nice report Doug!   I shall return soon to fish the bikini hatch!

sanjuanwormhatch

That was gratifying.  I went to my local and found significantly more ppl than fish.  Got more pleasure out of reading the most recent drake and looking at these reports.

Onslow

Can't get enough of your flora pics.  One plant that is fairly common on the Tar River in Granville County that is not found in the hill country is the Zephyranthes atamasco.  I miss both the Tar River and the lilies.

I believe that may be the largest brookie I've seen on any SE message board. 'c;

Dee-Vo

Impressive catch. Messy garage.

Dougfish

I'm gonna fess up, bitches. That big boy at the end is a stocker.
My boy Paul wanted to start earlier on stream two than I do.
It was at a section that they stock over wild fish. VDGIF justification? They stock sterile triploid brookies.
And some biguns. This was the first stooger I've ever caught out of there. It takes more effort than state employees usually exhibit to get the fish down there. Above and below two falls, so they aren't going anyway except the frying pan. I broke off a big boy on hook set right before this.
Then I noticed a fish under an undercut rock right in front of me. A submarine. 20"+? brookie. The distance between his white edged fins was greater than any native that day. Well, he was not stupid enough to bite.  The 14-15" fish pictured hit the next offering of a cheeseburger and fries. Wet sock fight. If I had shown it's tail, it would have been a dead give away. 

Michael Toris

Much for interested in the flora than the fauna anymore. What has become of me? Dug a bunch of yellow root today. Imma become a herb digger I've decided.

benben reincarnated

Damn Doug, you had to spill the beans?  I looked at your pics today for the first time and couldn't believe nobody else had guessed a stocker.  Fins be all jacked up and the beak is a little worn, tale-tale signs.  Don't feel bad, NCWRC stocks like crazy on top of wild fish all day, every day too.

You must be fishing fairly high up, last stream I was on a little over a week ago the trillium were far from bloomed.  You all couldn't be that far behind us relative to elevation in blooming.

So what's the problem with the garage?  You didn't see my basement, if you had, you would take pride in that garage.

Grannyknot

Good stuff Doug.  Were these camera phone pictures or regular camera?
And I think your garage looks just fine.  Nice pathway through the middle & everything.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

natureboy

Quote from: benben on May 05, 2015, 06:32:14 AM
You must be fishing fairly high up, last stream I was on a little over a week ago the trillium were far from bloomed.  You all couldn't be that far behind us relative to elevation in blooming.

I found quite a few trilliums blooming at at 1650' this past weekend.  New River drainage, downstream of Claytor.  It's been a cool spring here.

Dougfish

Quote from: benben on May 05, 2015, 06:32:14 AM
Damn Doug, you had to spill the beans?  I looked at your pics today for the first time and couldn't believe nobody else had guessed a stocker. 

I left out the pic with the minnow sized tail. I kept waiting for someone to bust me on the fish.

We were only at 2100'. I was a little surprised how much stuff was at peak color.

And guys, the garage is at the "where the fuck is____" stage. If I spent a half day on straightening it up, I wouldn't waste a whole day trying to find shit.