As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Tarpon Fishing?

Started by flatlander, April 17, 2015, 06:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

I hate flying the redeye.

sanjuanwormhatch

I'll probably do it when I can do it proper like go to one of them fancy "lodges" where it seems everyone either has some sort of tropical beer or g&t/mojito/like likker drink in their hand.

In all seriousness, I'd love to do it in Cuba.

flatlander

Cuba would be cool.  Can we travel to Cuba yet?

ptfranze

Just talked to a guy today who recently got back from a 12 day trip to Havana.  Said that was one of the best fly fishing trips he had ever taken and said its one you have to do at least once in your life. 

benben reincarnated

I'd go to Cuba in a heart beat.  For some reason I've always been interested in going.  Fishing there would be kinda cool too. 

Dougfish

And a nice ride in a 50's car. The vintage car guys are foaming at the mouth. If you've got a 50's whatever, shine it up and put on the market, now. The market is about to get flooded.

Peddler

Unless something really flubbed duck happens I'll be stalking those big guppies in the upper Keys in May. To whom shall I mail the guts?
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

flatlander

That's what I want to hear!  Where are you going, Jack?

flatlander

Quote from: ptfranze on April 17, 2015, 17:44:38 PM
Just talked to a guy today who recently got back from a 12 day trip to Havana.  Said that was one of the best fly fishing trips he had ever taken and said its one you have to do at least once in your life.

PTFranze...was he with Jim Dean?

ptfranze

Quote from: Flatlander on April 19, 2015, 16:48:46 PM

It was Jim Dean,  he was doing some spring cleaning and getting rid of maps, books, old reels and other stuff.  Went over chatted with him for a while and bought a couple topo maps. 

Peddler

Quote from: Flatlander on April 19, 2015, 16:08:51 PM
That's what I want to hear!  Where are you going, Jack?
Key Largo. I can't hardly wait!
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

flatlander

Good luck, Jack. Post a report when you get back.

flatlander

Quote from: ptfranze on April 19, 2015, 19:17:16 PM
Quote from: Flatlander on April 19, 2015, 16:48:46 PM

It was Jim Dean,  he was doing some spring cleaning and getting rid of maps, books, old reels and other stuff.  Went over chatted with him for a while and bought a couple topo maps.

That's too funny.  A buddy of mine went over to his "sale" and told me he had just come back from Cuba.  Jim is as fine a fellow you'll ever meet.

sanjuanwormhatch

There was a great article in one of the fly fishing rags that made it sound like Cooba was open for business.  Do tarpon coincide with baseball season?  Would also like to check out the hemingway stuff down there.

flatlander

There are always tarpon around in the Keys, but the migration is what most people try to hit, which starts in April and peters out in June in the Keys.  I assume it is roughly the same in Cuba.