News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Camping?

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, April 16, 2015, 10:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

You guys in that chat area can bite me, and chew on my used two-faced wipes! 

This is an interesting article on "camping/LNT/woodcraft" and has nothing to do with wiping one's ass.

"So good that today's camper doesn't seem to believe they are camping unless they have a backpack full of expensive ultralight gear (coincidentally from the same companies that support LNT financially to use their logo)."

"Camping is what you do when you get to camp, and hiking is only one of many ways you may choose to get there." Steve Watts and David Wescott

"Consequently, through promotion and those fore mentioned corporate relationships, the masses get (expensive) lightweight gear to fit the paradigm. This "new" gear is not only NOT near as efficient or dependable, in some respects, one could also argue it isn't as environmentally ethical either. Or at the very least, LNT as a philosophy doesn't think globally. Canvas vs. petroleum-based nylon for shelters. Wool vs. synthetic for clothing. And then there is the fire vs. stove argument."

http://masterwoodsman.com/2015/leave-no-trace/

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

JMiller

Camping without a campfire doesn't interest me much either, but this article isn't altogether different from the hatchery one posted yesterday. Nylon tents and lightweight cook stoves use fossil fuels, therefore backpackers, practicers of LNT who use them are hypocrites and are themselves ruining the environment? Ok, technically not wrong, but you'd burn more fuel on your way to the trail in your car regardless of what the materials you're hiking with are made from. That's just a silly validation for claiming the old way is righteous and just while the new is wrong.

Nostalgia is great. I get it. Bamboo rods are cool, whatever.
Why not pick a fight with somebody who truly sucks, like Monsanto or Toby Keith?
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

bmadd

Quote from: JMiller on April 16, 2015, 11:11:38 AM
Why not pick a fight with somebody who truly sucks, like Monsanto or Toby Keith?

I have not seen anything with as much truth as this statement in my time on this board.

Grannyknot

Mudwall, have you read "our southern highlanders"?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Michael Toris

Man, Toby Keith does suck

benben reincarnated

Quote from: wildmttrout on April 16, 2015, 11:33:23 AM

Yeah, but nothing sucks as much as Nickelback.

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: Grannyknot on April 16, 2015, 11:30:54 AM

have you? i've had it on the list for awhile.

Grannyknot

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on April 16, 2015, 11:52:26 AM
Quote from: Grannyknot on April 16, 2015, 11:30:54 AM

have you? i've had it on the list for awhile.

yes.  its good.

bmadd

Quote from: benben on April 16, 2015, 11:50:14 AM

That's true too. Toby Keith actually had some good songs in his beginning.

benben reincarnated

I judge a pack by not the material with which is it is made, but by the quantity of beer in which it can comfortably carry.

JMiller

Quote from: benben on April 16, 2015, 11:50:14 AM

In defense of Nickelback (can't believe I just typed that) I honestly can't tell the difference between them, Creed, 3 Doors Down, Seven Mary Three, or any other of the PearlJam knockoffs that now account for the majority of "Alternative Radio" programming.

It's odd though, Ive never really met anyone who will readily admit to being a fan of Nickelback or Toby Keith, yet these people are among us. Buying albums and whatnot, by the millions.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Aka

Mud,

If'n yer not rolling to that far remote campsite thus.

[attach=1]

Wearing the proper clothing as such.

[attach=2]

And cooking like this.

[attach=3]

Your doing it all wrong.

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Grannyknot

promo video for the next group trip.

Shane

Take Toby Keith and wrap him in gorilla tape and use him as a giant butt plug to fuck all of the members of nickleback and their management in the ass.

What kind of carbon footprint would that leave?