News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

The Funk is back

Started by ptfranze, April 04, 2015, 21:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptfranze

Been on Spring break all week, so the wife and I decided to head back to Lenoir to visit the parents and little brother Wed.  night.  Planned on staying until early afternoon today, and fishing on Thursday and Friday. 

I really felt like exploring some water that I used to fish but hadn't seen in a long while (not what we talked about driver).  Got in late Wed night, told John to be ready at 9 to head up the mountain.  Morning went smoothly and John actually got up without a problem.  On the way up I gave John a hard time because last time we fished together he couldn't remember how to tie any of his knots....and we all know karma is a bitch.   b';

The water we picked was a good hike in, so we ended up getting on the water close to 11.  We had a good start to the day and got the skunk off early.  Picked up this brown in the second hole.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Been working on trying to get underwater release shots and suck at it pretty bad.  My wife did manage to get this pretty good shot of that same brown on the release.

Pulled that fish out of the tail and nymphed the rest of the hole to no avail.  John wanted to run his streamer through to see if any trout only wanted meat.  Realized while taking this picture that nothing is better than fishing with family.  Love being able to go out with my brother and my wife and enjoy a day on the water. 

On the next hole my wife got the skunk off of her.

John was still skunked, but managed a take on his streamer in a long run, after a beautiful cast.  Only problem, he set like he was tarpon fishing and  his knot gave way.  I gave him a hard time about it and tied on his next streamer for him.

Came up to the next good looking hole and karma came out to play.  I got in position had a nice drift, saw a decent brown come out from under the rock and hit my big golden stonefly (from transylwader for the march madness win last year).  Set the hook fought the fish for a second and then slack.  My fucking knot gave way  b'; b';  after all that shit I talked to John.  That brown sat there in the run for a while throwing some big head shakes to try and get the fly out of his mouth.  I was pissed but shit happens.  I was re-rigging so John took a shot at the rest of the hole.  Water was really clear and we could see at least 2 other decent browns in the bottom of the hole.  John got one to eat set the hook, and FUCK ME   b'; b';  the knot I tied for him gave way again.  Felt really shitty at this point its one thing for me to tie a bad knot and lose myself a fish, sucks alot more when I cause someone else to lose a fish. 

This fish were hungry and took a couple more shots at the flies but we couldn't hook up again.  As we move up the water these guys start coming off.  They are all over the place and in the water and we start seeing a few rising fish so I switch to a dry. 

John tied back on a streamer and is working a hole trying to get the skunk off, hooks into a fish yells for the net.  As soon as I turn with the net the fish comes off, LDR.  John tosses back into the head of the run hooks up again and yells for the net.  I see a fish coming at me that looks to have the mouth a largemouth, this thing was huge.  Luckily this time I didn't fuck anything up and netted his fish.

John is pretty happy with this 18 in wild rainbow

We come to a deep hole that we know holds some big fish.  As we sit there we start to see some huge swirls.  We see a 18 inch + fish coming to the top hitting dries- 3 different times.  All around him we see smaller splashes as other smaller fish begin hitting on top too.  I take some drifts with my dry and everything shuts off... nothing.  We sit there for a few minutes and the little fish start hitting on top again, another drift at the top of the run and as soon as my fly hits the water a fish destroys it....I set the hook, and boom karma wasn't done   b'; b';  KNOT gave out again.  I better start practicing my knots in my down time.  I'm pissed but guess I deserved it and I just chalked it up to it being just one of those days things won't work out like I want them too. 

We keep working our way up and I manage one more brown- MY KNOT finally held. 

Ended the day with a long hike out, glad we went out and had a good time, only caught 4 fish between the 3 of us, still a good day but should have been much much better.  We definitely plan on going back soon. 

ptfranze

We are all pretty tired from the long hike so we decide we are going to do something a little easier Friday.  We decided to hit one of our favorite brookie streams.  Woke up early Friday morning dad makes us an awesome pancake breakfast and we are a little slow out the door.  Finally get out around 1030 and on the water about 11. 

Friday was much warmer than Thursday, so we all decided to throw a dries with a dropper.  I love brookies hitting top water.  Threw on an elk hair that I got from Doug (I think)  for march madness and went to work.

Brookies started hitting the dries pretty earlier on and continued most the day.  Didn't catch any with any real size to them but had a great time on some fun water, catching beautiful fish. 

Wife insisted on a brotherly love picture

Right after that she gets in on the action, misses one on the dry but catches one on the dropper. 

John is the last to get the skunk off but does it for an audience that is really excited to see a fish.

We get tons of little guys all day, only took pictures of some of the better fish.

Love the colors on this guy. 

Both days we fished John loved to point out any possible lean to/shelter and claim that he made it.  He found his favorite one while I was hitting this hole. 

My dad had been trying out some new bug collars, that glowed under UV light.  He gave me one to test out and the brookies loved it.  Ended up catching 3 pretty nice ones on his fly from the deeper holes. 

We ended the day with each of us catching  a lot of brookies mostly small ones but all beautiful, with a lot hitting top water.  Had a short walk back to the car which was a blessing after our hike out the day before.  Got back around 5 and the other reason we came home had run into problems. 

Chris was due to get back Friday during the day.  But he had a 4 hour delay leaving Chile because the pilots went on strike.  He made it to JFK but missed his flight to Charlotte because the delay.  We were surprising him by being in Lenoir when we got there.  He thought we were still in Raleigh so instead of wait for Expedia to figure out his flight he just bought another plane ticket to fly into Raleigh, landing at 1045 pm.  He called my parents from a random phone at the airport (because he left his cell in Chile), and told them to let us know we needed to pick him up then.  Surprise ruined as we had to tell him we were in Lenoir waiting on him.  My parents ended up driving the 3 hours to get him and they got back around 3 am.  So waderfunk aka Chris my other little brother is back in the States after "working" for a couple months in Chile.  Glad to have him back and we already have a plan to fish together next week.  Glad to see him back safe and hang out and get time to fish with the family.

Dougfish

Good stuff Pat.  'c;  I really enjoy a family outing, too. They just don't happen enough.

Get some new tippet! Stop tying a clinch knot!

raz

damnit thats a good time.

Jfey

Pretty nice weekend right there
Yup, going fishing

driver

Transylwader

Frunzian fishy muthafuckers. My gawd, I thought I railed them brookies in the shitter up north on Saturday, but you sir are a blueline rear adminral! -+;
Well played Pat and Co. 'c;