News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Jackson special reg

Started by 9ft4wt2, April 24, 2006, 20:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9ft4wt2

Fished Jackson Special reg today. A good time was had by all. I had a great time getting back out on on my favorite VA stream and had it all to myself. The trout enjpued me being there caause I only got about 15 or so and no big boys.

Water has high and fast from the weekend rains. It was green with some stain this morning at 7:30 and had gone to dark green by the time I left about 5 pm. Tons and tons of a size 18 grey caddis coming on the am but never saw the first rise. Also saw alots of other stuff coming off --  march browns, a few pmds, a smattering of crane flies, some yellow sallies, and this weir bug that was about a 14 opr 16, black with a splotch of bright red. First time I saw one today I figured it was a terrestrial then later I saw about a half dozen break through the surface film and make a quick escape.
I
Fish just were not looking up. Usual dry fly feeding spots were under an additional 187 inches fo fast water

Did get a half dozen swinging unweighted #18 soft hackles. Found a a small pod of six sipping something just below the surface. They were all in the 10-11 range -- sipping in a backwater. I got five of them --three browns and 2 bows and nicked the last one.

9ft4wt

Did not take the watr temp, but I am guessing low high 50s maybe even 60.

Any body got any ideas?

LowRod

Sounds like they stocked a bunch of small fish ???
Water temps at the head of Richardson Gorge (above Lake Moomaw) reached almost 61 degrees according to USGS data.  I would expect similar temps in Hidden Valley.