Contention: Starship Troopers is the greatest movie of all time

Started by JMiller, February 24, 2015, 12:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMiller

Citizen Kane can suck it.

Discuss.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Jfey

I have seen that movie many times and I agree.    It has it all:

terrible acting
Denise Richards
War against giant bugs
The future
giant brain sucking slugs
big ass weapons
spaceships
Neil Patrick Harris
Johnny Rico

and lots of quotable lines:

"if you don't do your job I will shoot you"

Yup, going fishing

Jfey

Richards getting naked has little to do with a movie being great.  Its a nice addition to the movie, but Wild Things  is not on the same level as Starship Troopers
Yup, going fishing

Grannyknot

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Grannyknot

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Jfey

I think you are right Ben.  S.T. held the title for many years, but Super Troopers is probably the current title holder.  That moving is amazing.  "All right meow"
Yup, going fishing

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Jfey on February 24, 2015, 13:59:15 PM
I think you are right Ben.  S.T. held the title for many years, but Super Troopers is probably the current title holder.  That moving is amazing.  "All right meow"

That opening scene to me is funny as shit.  "Pull over man!  Pull over more!"

The meow scene is another good one, thought about posting it instead.

JMiller

Lots of great movies out here.
I think it's wrong to  pick a comedy as the greatest movie ever. Not sure why, but the best comedy I've seen is still Dumb and Dumber followed closely by Bad Santa.

Now back to Starship Troopers.
I think that when that movie came out, people weren't as up on satire as they are now, but basically the film is a redux of Full Metal Jacket to make the same case that Team America World Police did a decade later. Lampooning fascism, pointing out the ridiculousness of wartime propaganda, and juxtaposing modern american hawk  culture against the rise of Naziism (to become a citizen). This is somewhat subtle, but notice the stage is set  in Argentina (where the Nazis escaped after the war) and the uniforms are basically SS knockoffs. Yet it's clearly aimed at Americans. I just think it's pretty clever. "God damn bugs whacked us Johnny."

Also, not sure I've ever seen a woman hotter than young Denise Richards. Yeah, she's older now and been Ma-Sheened, but wow was she good looking in her 20s.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

benben reincarnated

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

bmadd

While I love Super Troupers, I'll make a case for the American history lesson that is Forrest Gump.

Dougfish

Quote from: Grannyknot on February 24, 2015, 13:29:09 PM
Quote from: Dougfish on February 24, 2015, 13:27:56 PM
The Princess Bride?

come on doug.  fun movie, but we are talking serious contenders here.

The two most quotable movies I know are TPB and Blazing Saddles.
And come on, you've got:

"Andre the Giant was the greatest human being on earth
At 7'4" and 540 pounds, Andre knew he was scary. (The first time Chris Sarandon's daughters saw him, they ran screaming.) To help people relax, Andre called everyone "Boss," and when Robin Wright got the shivers between takes, he would warm her by resting a huge hand on her head, like a hat. One day, Andre casually mentioned that Waiting for Godot playwright Samuel Beckett used to drive him to school in rural France, after he grew too tall for the school bus. Beckett, who had hired Andre's father as a handyman, owned a convertible and took the top down to chauffeur Andre to class. Elwes asked what on earth the wrestler and the Nobel Prize winner talked about. Said Andre, "Mostly cricket."

But, boy, could Andre the Giant drink.
In one night, Andre could polish off three bottles of cognac and 12 bottles of wine and feel only a little tipsy. He kept a flask of cognac in his costume, but his favorite drink was a monstrosity called "the American," a 40-ounce beer pitcher filled with whatever booze he felt like that day: merlot, brandy, beer, vodka, whatever. The first time Andre the Giant and Robin Wright went out for dinner, he ordered four appetizers, five entrees and a case of wine. While bar-hopping with Elwes in New York, the two were politely tracked by an off-duty cop who was hired to keep an eye on Andre in case he fell over and hurt someone — again. (Andre generously bought the officer several drinks.) And the night of The Princess Bride's first script read-through, Andre got so drunk at the hotel bar that he passed out in the middle of the lobby. The hotel employees couldn't move him, so they put velvet ropes around his snoring corpse and told the maids not to vacuum until he woke up. "

JMiller

I think Princess Bride is a fair choice. It makes me happy that Fred Savage is a Bears fan in the movie and that Columbo is his grandad.

Forrest Gump? Good movie. Great movie. Too much 'Bama though. Like freaking Bama fans needed that ego boost. Why couldn't he have played for Vandy?  Only way it could've been worse is if he went on to play for the Packers.

One way to tell if a movie is great is if it gets copied, like I mentioned before with Full Metal Jacket.
Big Fish is essentially a Forrest Gump knockoff.

― Charles Bukowski