News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

How to bone a shad

Started by Big J, February 11, 2015, 14:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

ptfranze

On this note of shad:  any one have some suggestions for shad flies?  I was thinking size 4 or 6 maraboo tail with flash then cactus chenille as the body.  Any other suggestions or things that would work better?  I know anything flashy will work pretty well.

Big J

Look up a Kreelex fly pattern.  All you need.

Big J

I also watched both parts of the video, man those shad are a pain to fillet. 

driver

The question is. Have any of you eaten shad? I never have. I hear mixed reviews, mostly bad.
In John McPhee's book "Founding Fish" he basically give a recipe for shad at the end of each chapter. Which perked my interest. But I have never caught and American Shad, only Hickorys

Onslow

I've consumed what was either Gizzard Shad or Mooneye pulled from the Neuse River.  Those fish were pretty god awful tasting.  Pressure cooked em.  Pressure cooking is the only way to manage Herring, Shad, and suckers.

Bowfin is another variety I will never eat again.

The Dude

I think you meant how to de-bone a shad. Unless.............
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

croaker

Quote from: ptfranze on February 11, 2015, 15:06:49 PM
On this note of shad:  any one have some suggestions for shad flies?  I was thinking size 4 or 6 maraboo tail with flash then cactus chenille as the body.  Any other suggestions or things that would work better?  I know anything flashy will work pretty well.

Here's a link from several years back:

http://southernflyangler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3476

Google unnamed shad fly  :laugh:
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Onslow

QuoteMany years ago, the good ole fish commission thought it was a good idea to stock the Allegheny River (maybe the others) with Bowfin. I kept catching the things all summer. A friend's dad asked me for one, said he wanted to try it. He battered and fried that fish. It was flipping horrible.

The Bowfin fillets turned very rubbery in the skillet.  Very odd.

Onslow

Not in NC.  Northern Va, yes.

Big J

Quote from: The Dude on February 11, 2015, 19:42:18 PM
I think you meant how to de-bone a shad. Unless.............

"Oh you can't bone a shad. Well yes you can"

Michael Toris

Directions misleading. Dick is stuck in ceiling fan. Plz hlp

bullship

Reverse it and turn it on high
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot