News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Another boat project:

Started by JMiller, February 10, 2015, 22:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onemocast

Nice Rig. A couple of my SW VA buddies have had several of those over the years. Yours is one of the original models. The newer ones have an interior hull that adds a ton of weight to the boat. Those old crawdads are awesome! Throw it in the back of your truck, drag it across a shoal. They are dang near indistructable. If you do happen to punch a hole in it, there are plastic "welding" kits available to fix it.
You will dig this little boat.
Good luck to you!
:D
Never give up a day in the sun...you only have so many, then you're done.

Stone-Man

J Miller

You live any where close to the Collins River -- Pretty fair musky hole with some thick smallmouths in there also.

Onemorecast has Muskys and smallies in his back yard at Erwin

JT

JMiller

Yeah not too far from that river at all.
Actually most of the rivers around here have toothy fish.
I do think Im gonna dig the boat Onemocast.

Anyway, did cave in and get a little trailer today. Nice and galvanized.

Also been playing with composite decking to beef this thing up a little.

Old transom:

New one:

Got seats on the way. Need a trolling motor battery and something to house it next. She'll pretty much be ready to go after that.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

onemocast

Quote from: Stone-Man on February 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM
J Miller

You live any where close to the Collins River -- Pretty fair musky hole with some thick smallmouths in there also.

JT
Catch alot of smallies in the Noli but have yet to hook up with a Musky. Have seen a a couple on occasion. Working on it though. I have an old college buddy that guides up on the New. That is the place to go for toothy fish.

Big J

Quote from: onemocast on February 17, 2015, 15:09:26 PM
I have an old college buddy that guides up on the New. That is the place to go for toothy fish.

b';

onemocast

b';
Quote from: Big J on February 17, 2015, 15:10:27 PM
I have an old college buddy that guides up on the New. That is the place to go for toothy fish.

b';
You'll get a head ache if you keep that up!

onemocast

Quote from: Stone-Man on February 15, 2015, 11:27:32 AM
J Miller

JT
Catch alot of smallies in the Noli but have yet to hook up with a Musky. Have seen a a couple on occasion. Working on it though. I have an old college buddy that guides up on the New. That is the place to go for toothy fish.
Nice job on the transom. You might want to take the vee shaped bow stop off and replace it with a carpet covered piece of 2x4 applied horizontally. that gives you a firm place to winch against that won't deflect the front of your boat. Have fun.

Big J

For kicks and giggles the guide friend from VA or another state?  My  b'; expression is from the hundreds of guides on the New and James as of late.  Especially out of state guides. 

onemocast

Quote from: Big J on February 17, 2015, 15:22:40 PM
For kicks and giggles the guide friend from VA or another state?  My  b'; expression is from the hundreds of guides on the New and James as of late.  Especially out of state guides.

My buddy is Greg Rife. He has a cabin on the New up around Pembroke. He guides some trips for Britt Stoudenmire. Britt was a fly guy and more of a small mouth guy. He picked up Greg to boost the musky aspect of his business. Greg is kind of a local musky guru and was fishing for them 30 years ago when nobody else was. From what I understand, Britt has gone absolutely insane for musky and is catching them regularly.

onemocast

I have the same feeling about all the NC guides coming to TN to fish the Watauga and South Holston. I got no problem with guys coming over here to work. I don't even have so much trouble with there being more boats lined up to go down the barn drop at Chicken Charlie's than a boat ride at Dollywood. For me, it is just the general rudeness and the "I own this river...what do you mean fishing my hole" attitude some of them demonstrate. Just a little courtesy please.

Big J

Quote from: onemocast on February 18, 2015, 19:07:42 PM

I have the same feeling about all the NC guides coming to TN to fish the Watauga and South Holston. I got no problem with guys coming over here to work. I don't even have so much trouble with there being more boats lined up to go down the barn drop at Chicken Charlie's than a boat ride at Dollywood. For me, it is just the general rudeness and the "I own this river...what do you mean fishing my hole" attitude some of them demonstrate. Just a little courtesy please.

Spot on!