Camera Talk

Started by Big J, January 02, 2015, 10:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Talk me into a camera.  I'm trying to decide on an outdoor camera to get since my Pentax kicked the bucket a year ago.  I was looking at the Olympus TG-2, then I saw the Olympus TG-3's are basically the same price still as the TG-2's.  Then I looked at the Nikon AW120 for a cheaper option.  Then I saw Pentax K-50 which is a weather proof DSLR that can be had for around $400 with a lens.  Thinking of getting the K-50 body for $320 and getting a nice weather sealed lens.  So question is, should I get the TG-3, TG-2, or upgrade photo quality while losing dunk proofness and get the K-50?

RiverbumCO

OMD EM5.

Pentax rhymes with ex-lax. 
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

The Dude

Mirror less camera would be a better option than dslr for fishing as far as being smaller and more stowable.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

RiverbumCO

Well said Mr. The Dude.  OMD EM5.  25mm f1.4.

benben reincarnated

I'll never take my dslr fishing no matter how careful I think I am.  It ain't the dunks, it's it hitting the rocks I worry about most.  Long story short I'd go with one of the TGs.  Wait on the 4, whenever that is.  The 3 will drop in price. 

rbphoto

I agree with Ben.  Wait for the 4 . . . but I have and will take my dslr with me.  Rocks be damned! 
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Big J

I think I'll start taking my dslr on the boat, but I can't bring myself to take it on the small streams. If I got a weather resistant one I would though. I was surprised to see the  TG-2's going for the same price as the TG-3's still. The release a release date for the 4's yet?

Woolly Bugger

While I've never dunked my TG-1 or TG-2, I would surely dunk a DSLR the first time I took it to the stream....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

The Dude

The Olympus TGs have not changed much from the TG-1 to TG-3 as far as the camera guts go. The changes have mostly been in the bells and whistles category. Not sure if the next TG will be more of the same or a significant upgrade.
That being said, I have had a lot of problems with my TG-2 and I am hoping/waiting for Panasonic to release their next model from the TS-5. I haven't heard any scuttlebutt of new models being released soon for the next generation of the TG or TS from olympus or panasonic either. The CES convention is often times when the new stuff gets released, which is in late January, I believe. That is one to keep an eye on and probably worth waiting on before you make any purchases.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Woolly Bugger

TG 3 actually has an  aperature priority mode which allows you to take advantage of the f/2.0 lens
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

The Dude

Looks like Panasonic unveiled the TS6 retailing for $299.  It doesn't look like a major change from the TS5, which is a bit strange since the TS5 has been out for like 3 years. 

http://news.softpedia.com/news/CES-2015-Panasonic-Launches-Two-Rugged-Lumix-Digital-Cameras-469226.shtml

There still seems to be some limitations on the specs as of right now.  I do like the camo option, though.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-panasonic-lumix-ts6-and-ts30-two-rugged-cameras-with-style-for-the-adventurer-300015743.html

Big J

How does the TS6 stack up with the TG-3?

bmadd

RiverbumCO

BRO!!!

I know in the mirrorless market, since both Panasonic and Oly share a lens mount, that the Pannys are known for superior video.

The Dude

Quote from: Big J on January 07, 2015, 10:39:20 AM
How does the TS6 stack up with the TG-3?

Give it a couple of weeks and I bet C/NET will do a comparison once they get their hands on the new Panasonic.  However, from what I can tell, it looks like the Megapixel is roughly the same (16.1 Pan/16 Oly), I think the Pan only has f/stop f2.3 or f3, versus the f2.0 for Oly, they are basically the same for the ruggedness (waterproof depth, freezeproof, dust proof, drop height, etc) with possibly a slight lead for Oly (but sacrificing some weight and bulk in the process).  Pan has always had better video (continuous autofocus and now claim that there is no effect of noise when zooming in video mode) and I think better optical zoom. 
Then it comes to bells and whistles.  Panasonic has a bunch of GPS, remote app use and Wi-fi upgrades, which may be better than Oly, but it depends on how important that stuff is to you.  The Oly has the optional lens attachments, the Pan does not.  Pan has two mics for stereo sound, versus one for Oly, but I wonder if they are really that effective since they are about 1/4" apart).
What can't be determined yet is which takes better photos (which is the most important thing for me).  It is also unclear about Macro.  Panasonic used to have pretty good macro, but I don't think it has Super Macro like the Oly does.
Another interesting point is that previous versions of the Pan used to retail for ~$399 when they came out, but it appears that Panasonic if offering this one at the $299 price point.  I am not sure if that is indicative of the TS6 basically just being a repackage of the TS5, or if a lot more went into the new model but market conditions show that they need to offer it at a $299 price point to be competitive, or possibly neither.