Unlimited Local Bands, small music venues

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 16, 2019, 09:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

We drove on up to the Blue Ridge Music Center for the last concert of the season to hear a favorite bluegrass band, Steep Canyon Rangers. It was a wonderful evening with fantastic weather and the music was pretty good too. This being my first time to a show there I couldn't tell you if it was a large or average crowd, but there were plenty of people there.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I don't think I'll be working on this... RAV4 Hybird engine.

The last time we saw them was about 4 years ago in Asheville. They've changed members, founding member Woody Platt departed and was replaced with guitarist and vocalist Aaron Burdett. I miss Woody's vocals, but the band was tight, with Niki Sangers blazing away on the fiddle and Graham Sharp's deep vocals and banjo playing along with Mike Guggino on the mandolin. It made for an enjoyable evening on the parkway.

It cooled off sharply as the sun went down and the stars began to peak out,. With Scorpius visible low on the horizon to the south my attention changed from the band to the sky as the evening wore on and then we saw the strangest thing. An extremely long string of lights 
moving across the sky at a remarkable pace. We were stunned and talk of aliens and Russians pursued.

Once they passed, our focus returned to the band and their last song of the set was a bluegrass cover of J.J. Cale's classic After Midnight. Cut #21 on the playlist below.

They returned with a two-song encore and the concert was over by 9:15

This morning the googling began, and I discovered the answer to the mystery of the lights in the sky, Elon Musk's starlink satellites after a launch.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout-r-us

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

My longtime friend and musician, Bobby Kelly passed away last week.
We met in college as his bands were always playing in the local clubs.
I hired his band, The Sentinel Boys, for a beer blast in the Quad @ UNCG, where we served up 99 kegs of beer in four hours.

You cannot view this attachment.
I took this photo of them in the '70s 

Here is a great write-up from the News and Record a few years back.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

On short notice, the band Driftwood, on their way to the Ol' Front Porch Music Festival in Oriental on Friday and Shakori Hills Grassroots Festival in Pittsboro on Saturday and Sunday, stopped in Thursday night at the Doodad Farm for a fantastic evening of music. A large crowd assembled at this free (donation only) event.

For an encore they came down off the stage and the crowd gathered around as they performed two songs.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 25, 2023, 09:19:52 AMMy longtime friend and musician, Bobby Kelly passed away last week.
We met in college as his bands were always playing in the local clubs.
I hired his band, The Sentinel Boys, for a beer blast in the Quad @ UNCG, where we served up 99 kegs of beer in four hours.

I took this photo of them in the '70s 

Here is a great write-up from the News and Record a few years back.

Robert Murdock Kelly, Jr died Saturday September 9, 2023, encircled by the love of family and friends after many years battling Parkinson's Disease. Bobby's life will be celebrated at 2 PM on Oct 28 at West Market Street United Methodist Church (302 W. Market St) with Rev. Otto Harris officiating. Immediately following the service there will be a New Orleans Second Line procession leading to a reception in the Gathering Space. All in attendance are invited to participate in honor of Bobby's big musical soul.

A lifelong resident of Greensboro, Bobby was born April 3, 1953 as the eldest child of Robert and Jane Banner Kelly. A graduate of Page High School, he continued his practical and applied education throughout his life. He was a loving and supportive father to his son Ezra. His enduring and devoted love was shared with his long-time life partner Kristy Jackson.

Armed with a sly wit and affable zen Buddha-like nature, Bobby made any gathering grander. He shared his talents and knowledge with the world and was a mentor and inspiration for many.

For well over fifty years Bobby was a pillar of the music community. He progressed from humble beginnings in grade school bands to a remarkable career as an audio engineer and bass player extraordinaire. He was a concert engineer for Bill Monroe, Miles Davis, Yes, Tony Bennett, Jeff Beck, Black Flag, Parliament Funkadelic, Ohio Players, and Richard Petty. He was a gifted recording engineer working with Tony Rice, Vassar Clements, Larry Keel Experience, T. Lavitz, Eugene Chadbourne, US Airways and others.

As a bass player Bobby leaves a rich musical legacy, having played with the Sentinel Boys, Tornado, Bob Margolin (Muddy Waters), Hubert Summon (Howlin Wolf), Nappy Brown; Carey Bell, Paul Oscher (Muddy Waters), Alvin Youngblood Hart, C.J. Chenier, Johnnie Whitlock, Blues World Order, Peter May and Terraplane, Mel Melton and the Wicked Mojos, Armand and Bluesology, and Amy Ray (Indigo Girls).

Bobby was also a professional audio sales representative for several vendors, retiring from Tech Rep Marketing after many successful years sharing his passion for sound and recording.

A creative cook and lover of international cuisine, Bobby earned the nickname "Wasabi" from years of patronage at his favorite sushi restaurants.

He is predeceased by his parents and his brother Jack Kelly.

Survivors include his partner Kristy Jackson, son Ezra Kelly (Karen), stepsons Justin Jackson (Katherine) and Brian Jackson, brother Patrick Kelly (Clara), sister Martha Herbolich (Steve), sister-in-law Lauren Smith, granddaughter Elise Kelly, step grandson Wilder Jackson, niece Ada Morrigan (Frankie), nephews Joe Kelly (Camrin) and Frank Kelly (Darby).

In lieu of flowers the family requests contributions be made to Hirsch Wellness, Triad Musicians Matter or the charity of the donor's choice.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/legacyremembers/robert-kelly-jr-obituary?id=53400611&utm_source=webshareapi&utm_medium=share_button&utm_campaign=wsapimobile_beta
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Bobby's Celebration of Life was held on Saturday at the West Market Street Methodist Church in Greensboro. There were about 200 in attendance. Sam Frazier played a couple of tunes during the service and longtime friends, Bill Payne, Grant Britt, and Peg Parham gave words of remembrance. After the benediction, a musical procession led the group around the block and into the reception.

Just today I learned that fellow bandmate, Dennis Worley passed away suddenly last night.

Tornado's members were (from left) Keith Roscoe, Sam Frazier, Jack Wilkins, Rebekah Raker, Dennis Worley, Bobby Kelly, and Cliff Greeson.

Here is some of the Sentinel Boys music, which is the band that proceeded Tornado.

Greensboro NC Sentinel Boys were a Funk Folk Fusion band that existed between 1972 and 1978. Way ahead of their time, Sentinel Boys used Acoustic Music, Reggae, Funk & Jazz. All principle players are still active to this day. 2019.
Boys were:
Scott Manring- Vox, GTR, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, Harp,
Dennis Worley- Vox, GTR,
Bobby Kelly- Bass, Mu-tron,
David Licht- Drums, Percussion,
Bruce Swaim- Saxes, Flute,
Al Clinton- Congas, Percussion,
Frank Worrell- Percussion, Drums,
George Bishop III- B3 Organ on Greensboro Blues,
Mac Smith- Cello on Brazil & Queen Of Frowns,
Live Stage Boys: Tom Wimbish, Dennis Licht, Scott Sawyer   

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Saturday night we took in the 18th annual UNCG School of Music's Collage Concert.

Here is an excerpt featuring the Jazz Band and the rest of the orchestra and choir

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Back out in the world we went to hear Jesse Cook at the Carolina Theater - Greensboro

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Another House Concert in Greensboro, The Chatham Rabbits. The young duo is quite the thing and has had many sold out shows including this house concert with 50-60 people in attendance. Austin was a Financial Planner and Sarah taught Music, after they made their first album, they were encouraged to give up their day jobs and go full time into preforming. https://www.chathamrabbits.com/ Check out their upcoming tour dates.

They also have a TV show on PBS, On The Road with The Chatham Rabbits, which has just been syndicated.

Here's a show on Archive.org https://archive.org/details/tognc-Chatham_Rabbits

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Another night of singer songwriters at the Flat Iron hosted by Abigail Dowd, featuring Tyler Nail, Drew Foust, and Stephen Murray.

me -There's a season?