News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Grand Slam

Started by bmadd, December 13, 2014, 17:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

I thought about your impoundment today. After hiking a mile in to a swamp to find someone is my spot. And wished I had a private duck spot close to home. Have you had any luck at your spot? Or has it been dry all season?

Hey, at least you got to see a duck.

bmadd

I think our total is 9 ducks and a goose. We've seen tons of birds, we are just too low on water. Our field when full is approx. 10.5 acres of water, currently we only have about 2-2.5. Our field is sloping so somewhere between 2/3-3/4 of our field is dry. The neighboring field is closer to the river and they are able to pump their field. They are full and killing ducks.

Dougfish

Well, you wet a line.  'c; :laugh:

Those bows looked nasty. You should slap a fish and game official in the face with one of those. Bleck!

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

bmadd

_Fish_Pimp

Grannyknot

Quote from: bmadd on December 13, 2014, 18:09:33 PM
I think our total is 9 ducks and a goose. We've seen tons of birds, we are just too low on water. Our field when full is approx. 10.5 acres of water, currently we only have about 2-2.5. Our field is sloping so somewhere between 2/3-3/4 of our field is dry. The neighboring field is closer to the river and they are able to pump their field. They are full and killing ducks.

Can you build a levee?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Transylwader

I heard a rumour that some twit released a bunch of rainbows into a creek in the dead of winter in Raleigh a few years back and some people managed to catch real azz Raleigh trouts. I think it's a hoax of some sort. Kind of like catching troots in a municipal pond in western TN.
Maddox, what have you been smoking, brah? I want some. I always dreamed of riding a unicorn through a magical valley. I think you may be able to assist by sending me some of your giggle twig.

bmadd

Granny, we have a levee. My guess is they pushed dirt from the field to build up the levee making the field sloped. Our biggest problem is having to rely on rain water to fill up the hole. Our options are (a) working out some sort of agreement with TVA to dig a ditch from the river to our field allowing us to either pump or open a gate to bring water in or (b) digging a well to pump from. Option A seems unlikely since the ditch would have to be dug approx. 150 yards from the river to our levee on TVA property. Option B is what we hope to do but my cousin got an estimate that came back at $6-8k for a 4" well with no pump. I want a second opinion haha.

Tranny, no meth or grass smoked. TWRA stocks the hell out of several ponds and lakes here in West TN every winter and a few creeks after the new year. Ducks have been few and far between and with a bad weather forecast I passed. We were having the house painted this weekend so I couldn't chop leaves or burn anything so I went fishing. This was supposed to be somewhat of a sarcastic post. A grand slam consisting of stocked trout, small bluegill and crappy, and the puniest pune of a bass? You thought I was proud to post this shit? My only other alternative was trying to spin more deer hair.

Transylwader

Quote from: bmadd on December 15, 2014, 10:29:12 AM
Tranny, no meth or grass smoked. TWRA stocks the hell out of several ponds and lakes here in West TN every winter and a few creeks after the new year. Ducks have been few and far between and with a bad weather forecast I passed. We were having the house painted this weekend so I couldn't chop leaves or burn anything so I went fishing. This was supposed to be somewhat of a sarcastic post. A grand slam consisting of stocked trout, small bluegill and crappy, and the puniest pune of a bass? You thought I was proud to post this shit? My only other alternative was trying to spin more deer hair.
Eh, I am just butt hurt, see I was supposed to do a trip to WV, I had the first "mate" bauil on me Friday morning, then the other bails Saturday as I am loading the truck at 5AM. So I decided to spend time swimming in the Neuse. Bastard wading boots didn't get a good spidey grip on a smooth rock and I ended up in 6ft of water, floating like a Sunday morning pre-church turd. I am just glad I had some whisky on board or I may have ended up getting Pune-moania agin.
So, I have my sights set on catching trouts next weekend. FML b';
Municipal pond trouts is better than no trouts. Which also ties into hot poontang is better than rank poontang.

Grannyknot

Quote from: bmadd on December 15, 2014, 10:29:12 AM
Granny, we have a levee. My guess is they pushed dirt from the field to build up the levee making the field sloped. Our biggest problem is having to rely on rain water to fill up the hole. Our options are (a) working out some sort of agreement with TVA to dig a ditch from the river to our field allowing us to either pump or open a gate to bring water in or (b) digging a well to pump from. Option A seems unlikely since the ditch would have to be dug approx. 150 yards from the river to our levee on TVA property. Option B is what we hope to do but my cousin got an estimate that came back at $6-8k for a 4" well with no pump. I want a second opinion haha.

Here you go....

QuoteCooperative Partnership

Tennessee Partners Project (TPP)
http://www.ducks.org/Page1788.aspx    

This program is co-sponsored by Ducks Unlimited, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, Tennessee Department of Agriculture, USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the University of Tennessee Extension Service. It is designed to provide wintering water and food sources for waterfowl and associated wetland species in the Tennessee portion of the birds' migration route. Participation landowners receive a project construction plan (if needed), water control structure materials, technical assistance during installation, and management recommendations. Projects receiving material assistance should encompass a minimum of 5 acres of surface water and adjacent habitat buffer zones. Participants agree to sign a minimum 10-year Wetland Development Agreement, not permit hunting after 12 noon, and permit an annual inspection by any representation of the partners. Contact Bob Harris, Ducks Unlimited, Inc., 2001-G South Commerce St., Grenada, MS, 38901, 662-226-6880, bharris@ducks.org .

This is how my uncle built our field.  Did it for a tiny fraction of what it originally was going to cost.
Ours is in Kentucky, & so I believe The corp of engineers was heavily involved in place of some of the above mentioned groups, but it looks like a similar path.

bmadd

Have not seen that one specifically. I've seen the programs that DU offers themselves which requires a lifetime easement for DU, which I was not a fan of. This seems very reasonable though. Appreciate that.

RiverbumCO

Granny, you got deer hunting land in Kentucky?
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Grannyknot

Quote from: RiverbumCO on December 15, 2014, 16:52:59 PM
Granny, you got deer hunting land in Kentucky?

I don't deer hunt, but my dad is up there constantly throughout muzzle loader & rifle season.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login