News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Stripers on the fly

Started by ptfranze, November 25, 2014, 10:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptfranze

My wife bought me a guided trip out of New Bern for our one year anniversary.  With everything we had going on we weren't able to do it until this past weekend (Nov 22).  So we went out Saturday morning and it was pretty damn cold.  Luckily we didn't have to run far to get to the fish.

First two spots we tried we had no luck.  Motored over to a new spot and saw a very welcome site.  Birds attacking bait at the surface just like with albies.  We watched for a while and realized the fish would only break the surface maybe once before they went back down, we chased them around for a little while but had no luck. 

3 hours in still no fish.  One of those frustrating days seeing the fish knowing they are there but not getting them to bite.  We finally decided to stop chasing them and began blind casting to structure.  Took a little while but I finally got hooked up.  We were all relieved, that is until the hook came unbuttoned.  LDR, but hey finally had some action and some bend in the rod.  Not long after I hooked up again, brought this one to the boat and the skunking was off!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Released this fish and two casts later hooked up again to one that was just a little bit bigger

Had a nice little rally and picked up a 3rd pretty quickly that was bigger than the first two

A little more time passed and picked up a 4th fish that was the biggest yet

My wife still hadn't picked one up and the day was about over but luckily she hooked up.  The day was called right after that.

A slow day to start out but I would much rather start slow and end catching fish than the other way around and it was the first time either of us had caught stripers on the fly.  Definitely can't complain that each fish we caught got bigger.  The day turned very nice temperature wise (around 50-55) and we decided to go downtown to check out the shops and grab some lunch.

Stopped in at MJs and got some crab legs, steamed shrimp, steamed clams, and raw oysters.  Awesome lunch to end the day.

Transylwader

Patricia, come with me next April. You have a lovely wifey. That is all...

sanjuanwormhatch

Hope you didn't steal dem crab lags.

ptfranze

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on November 25, 2014, 12:11:23 PM
Hope you didn't steal dem crab lags.

No had to pay for these...heard you can walk out of Publix with them though

driver

Nice! I hope to have my own striper report this weekend. Seas are looking manageable.

ptfranze

Good stuff Jason let me know how it goes.

robspe7370

Nice. Black friday is the unnoficial start of Striper season in my clan. The schoolies have been showing up in droves, along the bridge light lines at night, in the lower Chesapeake. Let's hope it is a decent year. To a large extent, the majority of the fish blasted through and up the rivers in a hurry the last two.
I ain't here for a long time. I'm here for a good time.

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Dougfish

Nice!
Time to dust off the 9 wt.

Al

Quote from: Transylwader on November 25, 2014, 11:37:59 AM

'c; 'c; 'c; Another priceless qoute from Tranny.

Good report by the way.  Love them stripers on a fly rod. Weldon here we come /'/.

driver

Quote from: robspe7370 on November 26, 2014, 09:56:15 AM
Nice. Black friday is the unnoficial start of Striper season in my clan. The schoolies have been showing up in droves, along the bridge light lines at night, in the lower Chesapeake. Let's hope it is a decent year. To a large extent, the majority of the fish blasted through and up the rivers in a hurry the last two.

That's where I'll be this weekend, looking for birds. And every weekend in December.

ptfranze

Where we headed Mike?

Transylwader

Quote from: ptfranze on December 03, 2014, 13:55:58 PM

Where we headed Mike?
Rockfish City.
A lil spot close to I-95 where young stripers go to experience their first lil taste of the night life.

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: Transylwader on December 03, 2014, 14:01:50 PM

A lil spot close to I-95 where young stripers go to experience their first lil taste of the night life.

Damn James. 

ptfranze

For any one that chases stripers I have a friend that works for the state and he just posted this  "Watha hatchery on Wednesday tagging ‪#‎stripedbass‬. We tagged 3,000 ‪#‎stripers‬ of the 400,000 and released them into the cape fear river today! Bringin' em back to southeastern"

So some new stripers into the Cape Fear