News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fla on the Fly

Started by briar, April 13, 2006, 21:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

briar

May 5-10 heading down to Sanibel Island in Fl. anyone know of a good flats guide?I figure there are going to be some tarpon around and snook .Anybody know if there any bones around?
Any thoughts on using a 8 wgt reel with 9 wgt line and a 9' 9 wgt rod.
I used a 9/10 Vortex and a 10 wgt on bones in Grand Caymen and its just too heavy after 4 or 5 hrs.
Thanks
b

Trout Chaser

You might try to PM Marty, aka Southernfly.  He used to live down that way and would be able to provide some recommendations.

TC

Damselfly

Gee...you just got back from tropical places!! :o

I'm no saltwater expert by any means, but I don't think you'd have any problem with downsizing the reel , I just don't think it will save much weight. What is the balance like on the rod & reel? If you can't balance the whole thing on a finger within an inch or two of the top of the reel, then it's bottom-heavy and will put undue stress on your wrist. (Same problem I'm having with the beautiful bamboo you gave me) Ask Rob to let you try some of his saltwater reels with line to see if one balances better.
If that doesn't pan out, I'd buy a carpal tunnel brace from the drug store to use while you fish. It'll support your wrist BEFORE there's a problem. You want to be able to fish more than just one day, don't you?

PS The way large-arbor reels are made these days, I would guess that most of the weight is going to be in the line, anyhow....

FL_Fishing_Fanatic

I live near Sanibel. There are many good guides there, I recomend Mike Rehr, he has forgotten more than most the guides here know. Call his wife Joyce, (239) 472-3308. They live on Sanibel. They are probably booked up but they are the best, call them asap. If they are booked, I think they have other guides they recomend.

Also call and visit Lehrs tackle in N Ft Myers, they are THE fishing store here, since 1957. Store owner Dave Westra is the best, his son guides. (239) 995-2280.

The tarpon are just starting to move in, give that a try. Most guides will supply all the tackle but be warned, throwing a 13 wgt line is alien to anything youve done before!

While on Sanibel, go fish Ding Darling NWR. Good places to wade and fish there. Also the snook MAY be on the beaches then. Get up early, at sunrise, at cast to snook running the beaches 2' off the beach. Do this before the shell collectors get there.

No bones  :(

Hope this helps.

Now, know any tips for W NC? I'll be there 1st week in May, feel free to PM me.

Tim