Thinking of buying an obscure rod I don't need

Started by sanjuanwormhatch, October 20, 2014, 15:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldDominionAngler

Quote from: RiverbumCO on October 20, 2014, 20:06:33 PM

You buy one and ill entertain the idea and maybe we can do a speycation somewhere between us. 

Swing for steelbows on the Cattaraugus...pick me up on the way.

RiverbumCO

Its easier to cast a two hander 100' anyday.  That said, an 8ft switch rod isn't a switch rod.  Them shits need to be at least 10ft at a minimum.  You need that length to catapult line, otherwise what would be the point of using two hands.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

sanjuanwormhatch

Yeah I kind of agree. Anyone want to make me a rod for some $?

RiverbumCO

RiverbumCO

bmadd

dude - $20 bucks for the rod. $15 for the kit. Rio Outbound short 6 wt $50 bucks on the bay. 3 hours of work + dry time and your learning to cast two handed. Yea it may not be a legit "switch" rod, but it will be fun. You won't be able to cast as far or control the drag the same as you could with a "real" 10' switch rod. But if you like it and when you make that trip to the PNW, buy the Echo. You'll already have the line and mechanics down. Save the other $100 bucks (minimum) and get really, really drunk while you learn.

RiverbumCO

Youd be better served to learn to spey with a single hand rod with fighting butt.  The longest rod you got, Playboy.

Michael Toris

Spey casting is the tits. I am just not a fan of glass stuff. Too "springy" and not quick enough response time for me.

Bum has it, learn to spey with your 8wt, then move up to a switch.

I single hand spey cast all the time. I am no spey master by no means,  but it is fun.

sanjuanwormhatch

Here's the part when you're really going to question my sanity.  I actually have a switch rod already (7 wt) just am real curious about spey glass.  It works in my head.  Since I live in the spey capitol of the world, I had kind of talked myself into another one.  Fugg it; I'm taking bmadd's advice and taking my already paid for rod and $100 worth of beer to the river this Sunday.  Err next Sunday since I'll be out of town this Sunday. 

RiverbumCO

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on October 21, 2014, 13:01:43 PM
Here's the part when you're really going to question my sanity.  I actually have a switch rod already (7 wt) just am real curious about spey glass.  It works in my head.  Since I live in the spey capitol of the world, I had kind of talked myself into another one.  Fugg it; I'm taking bmadd's advice and taking my already paid for rod and $100 worth of beer to the river this Sunday.  Err next Sunday since I'll be out of town this Sunday.

dont even say youll be in Myrtle Beach! Dont even!  Me too, man.

sanjuanwormhatch

I'll actually be in trout land (well more so than where I live).  Hoping to get some fishing in believe it or not.  No switch rods will be harmed. 

Dougfish

Hmm, I've got a rod candidate or two, or three at home. Dammit, you got me schemin'. 

The switch thing is interesting. I already employ some spey techniques on traditional rods and lines.

sanjuanwormhatch

sanjuanwormhatch

My wife and I ("MWAI"), have entered into a fair and equitable agreement about said rod.  She kindly agreed to not let me buy the rod and in return I agreed to not spend $100 on beer.  Happy to report all parties are satisfied with the resolution.  Happy to give pointers to achieve similar favorable results in domestic negotiations.