Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies

Observations of Phil's target...."Don't mess with Mr. Lucky"

Big J

Big J

I had a bug a few years ago for a 10mm, but shook the bug.  Recently the bug for a 10mm 1911 returned.  RBphoto had a 10mm conversation a few years ago.  Almost talked me into getting one then.  Recently learned Rock Island Armory makes a 1911 Commander size in 10mm.  Really perked my interest.  Sold a few things in the gun safe after I found one at a local shop, and it followed me home.  First range session ran 100 rounds of some semi hot stuff and a mag of some close to max loaded buffalo bore.  Fun gun with some kick.  Had 3 fte and the slide kept locking back with rounds still in mag.  Some reading informed me that the Slide Stop needed to be filed down a little because the next round in magazine was hitting the slide stop and locking the magazine open.  Hopefully after a couple hundred rounds I'll feel comfortable with it joining me in the woods.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Also ignore the 10mm group.  Really was just letting rounds fly to get a feel for it and trouble shoot it.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

hcrum87hc

I'm trying to decide what to pick up for a new woods gun.  I normally just carry my everyday 9mm for any two legged critters, but I've been contemplating picking up a .357 or 10mm for the 4 legged ones.  I was leaning towards a .357 revolver, but the capacity and familiarity of a semi auto in 10mm would certainly be advantageous.
Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

Quote from: hcrum87hc on September 25, 2019, 15:22:08 PMfamiliarity of a semi auto in 10mm would certainly be advantageous.

This was the big thing for me.  I've been shooting only Semi Autos for a while now when I go to the range.  I recently went to the range and shot my Ruger SP101 .357 mag and it took me a little bit to get reacclimated to it.  Been about a year since I shot it and getting the grip right was an issue as you hold a revolver differently than a semi auto.  Really is what got me reinterested in 10mm again.  I always fell back on the fact that revolvers are more inherently reliable, but I'm going to run this 10mm for a while and see if it changes my opinions. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: hcrum87hc on September 25, 2019, 15:22:08 PMI normally just carry my everyday 9mm for any two legged critters, .......

This might make the weeping prophet lament even more.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on September 25, 2019, 18:22:45 PMThis might make the weeping prophet lament even more.

You're right. I should probably just start toting an AR pistol to be safe.
Jeremiah 17:7

Phil

I've never tried a 10mm. I'm apprehensive of getting a 1911 pistol due to all the little parts, disassembly/reassembly. It's been over 46 years since I touched one.
This is my woods gun....
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

rbphoto

For a woods gun, I love my 10mm.

I always have it when I am deer hunting, and ALWAYS when there are hogs around.

I really don't shoot pistols much anymore, but I routinely spend some time with the 10mm to make certain the ammunition I have feeds consistently.

Nice find with the Commander version.  How well does it soak up recoil with those Buffalo Bore loads?  Finding the right spring combination, and putting in a square firing pin stop may make it much more enjoyable.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Big J

Quote from: rbphoto on September 27, 2019, 06:59:01 AMNice find with the Commander version.  How well does it soak up recoil with those Buffalo Bore loads?  Finding the right spring combination, and putting in a square firing pin stop may make it much more enjoyable.

It's not as abusive as I was thinking it would be. Buffalo Bore was some 180 grain rounds traveling at 1,350 fps. Supposed to 768 ft lbs of energy. Hotter than my .357 mag ammo I ran thru my revolver and felt like the 1911 had quicker follow up shots. Thinking the factory recoil spring is 22 lbs. might mess with the mainspring weights though. Also remembered what you said about square FPS and am planning on installing one soon.

Al

troutrus

So the good guy with gun limited the deaths to three humans. I say we aim higher, like no guns and no deaths.

Al

Quote from: troutrus on January 01, 2020, 16:41:21 PMSo the good guy with gun limited the deaths to three humans. I say we aim higher, like no guns and no deaths.

A lofty goal. I suggest we concentrate on disarming criminals first.

Big J

Quote from: troutrus on January 01, 2020, 16:41:21 PMSo the good guy with gun limited the deaths to three humans. I say we aim higher, like no guns and no deaths.

You are conflating two different ideas.  No guns will not create no deaths.  I argue that no guns will create a more violent society.  Guns empower women. They empower the weak.  They protect the ones that need protecting.  A 100 lb single mother has no chance against a full grown man wishing to do her harm.  Just the other month a pregnant wife down in Florida saved her husband's, unborn child, and her own life by stopping two armed men beating her husband by running to her room and grabbing her AR. You will never be able to change a species that has violence engrained into them.  All you will do by removing guns is allow the evil doers an easy way to go about doing their deeds.  One of my favorite analogies is removing guns from law abiding citizens is like the sheep removing their teeth because the wolves' teeth keep killing them.  As much as I'd love to have faith in society, it is foolish to believe violence will go away with the removal of guns.  I'd rather have the ability to protect myself over the faith that other people will do what is right.  Call me cynical, but there are way too many unstable people in this world and I'd rather focus the efforts towards coming up with solutions for them.