News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 14, 2019, 11:42:39 AMI had no idea where I got the 20 years.  It was something I remembered or thought I recalled.  I was off after checking your premise that I was incorrect.

http://virginiahistoryseries.org/linked/unit%206.%20life.growth.development%20of%20va%20colony.slides.pdf

“Disease and hardships took their toll of emigrants & native-born Virginians alike. If children lived past 20, their life expectancy was about 40; but, many children didn’t survive into adulthood.”

I happen to believe we do not need (or no longer need) firearms to “enforce any of them as citizens”.  I also do not fear ‘the man’ confiscating my guns.  I have no fear of registering my firearms.  I don’t believe we will ever be barred from purchasing or limited access to ‘hunting’ arms.  In short, government(s)/societal rule or changes do not occupy my feelings or worries. 

Sure, I’d enjoy playing with, shooting, certain firearms that fire multiple rounds in seconds, but I long ago came to terms that my dick was small and no purchase of or playing with inanimate objects would change or improve my manhood.

My biggest fear is I’ll one day succumb to that human trait, the lack of critical thinking, because of the evolutionary gift bestowed on all of us, that talent for being deceived and the subsequent paranoia.

Stephen

I don't buy in to the Freudian psychology that you seem to, so my penis size really doesn't come into play regarding my affinity for firearms. 

You still only answered part of the question and conveniently avoided any coherent conversation regarding the evaluation of the Constitution and/or Bill of Rights.

You also, conveniently, dismissed only a single methodology for ensuring that the rights of the citizens of the US are protected.

I never stated I believed any of our 2nd amendment rights would be infringed.

Raymond
who is going shooting this afternoon and all weekend long, so I'll see y'all Monday.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on March 14, 2019, 11:57:44 AMWe might want to delete some of the comments here.  Out of state firearm purchases have to go through an in state FFL.  Doesn't matter if it is a private transaction, a gun shop, hunting rifles, or an old flintlock.  Being your neck of the woods, and the part of WV you are close to, I'm not sure what happened.  I doubt a WV gun shop could obtain a VA FFL.

See this bullshit is what I am talking about â€" paranoia where there should be no worries.  Damn J, reading is fundamental!

“You can buy a rifle in another state as long as the sale is legal in both states. Assuming both states are okay with it, you can buy a rifle or a shotgun from an FFL in another state. Out of state handguns have to go through an FFL in your state.”

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/buying-an-out-of-state-gun-in-person.296599/

“Buying Out of State. Federal firearms license (FFL) holders are the only persons who can legally handle gun sales across state lines. This means that the merchant you’re buying from must have an FFL, and that seller must, we repeat, must, ship the weapon directly to an FFL holder in your state.”

“Federal firearms license (FFL) holders are the only persons who can legally handle gun sales across state lines.”

https://www.durysguns.com/news/gun-transfer-laws-buying-out-of-state

This is exactly what the gun shop owner told me (same as above).  He has a  FFL, a Federal license and can sell long guns across state line, but handguns must go through the resident’s state FFL.

Plus, is there an animal like VA FFL, and individual state FFL?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: rbphoto on March 14, 2019, 14:05:19 PMRaymond
who is going shooting this afternoon and all weekend long, so I'll see y'all Monday.

Be sure to bring a pencil or the correct sized dowel to make those posted holes.  Be safe.

Stephen

I’m going to shoot this weekend as well â€" bought 3 boxes of tungsten loads for my 20 turkey gun, at $6 per shell.  See I can be deceived as well.  The new loads may pattern out to 60 yards, but I still got screwed by the firearms/ammo industry at $6 each.   

Big J

Well I'll be.  I learned something new today about guns from frickin Hiner.  That sure is a poorly clarified and under highlighted law on the ATF's website.  Handguns have to go FFL to FFL, but long guns can go FFL to out of state resident. 

Dougfish

Go fishing. It's cheaper, assholes.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

It's cheaper if ya use crappy old fiberglass rods....  d:b

Dougfish

Genius. Phil knows, how Doug flows.
I have 3 rods for every box of Mudwall's shells. And they don't break.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

rbphoto

Quote from: Dougfish on March 14, 2019, 17:54:15 PMGo fishing. It's cheaper, assholes.

And, unlike sporting clays (where I really care if I don't hit everything I shoot at), I just enjoy fishing for fishing.

On the other hand, everybody in the South Carolina State Sporting Clays Championship this past weekend are simply in awe over a 15 yr old winning the tournament.

And, to top that off, he shot two turkeys Saturday afternoon on youth day!

Raymond
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Raymond’s photo of the fish-printed scatter gun in lurker thread jogged my memory --- what do you turkey hunters and shooters think about this combination?  301 TURKEY .410 w/ HEAVYWEIGHT® TSS turkey loads?  301 made in PRC, which I think means China -- I could be wrong.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/shotgun/stevens-series/301-turkey

You cannot view this attachment.

rbphoto

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 20, 2019, 08:53:18 AMRaymond’s photo of the fish-printed scatter gun in lurker thread jogged my memory --- what do you turkey hunters and shooters think about this combination?  301 TURKEY .410 w/ HEAVYWEIGHT® TSS turkey loads?  301 made in PRC, which I think means China -- I could be wrong.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/shotgun/stevens-series/301-turkey

I used to think the .410 was a tool for only very close, light game.

About a year ago I saw a friend of mine break a clay target that was 70+ yards away and easily 50' high with a .410 with an improved cylinder choke . . .

I probably wouldn't use the gun pictured above for turkey hunting, but I would take a shot at a turkey within 30 yds with the right ammo and the right choke . . .

bmadd

These TSS loads do seem to make the .410 a formidable scatter gun out to 40 yards for turkeys. Like you, I bought some for my 20 as well. Hoping to pattern a few this weekend before season opens.

driver

Can use a rifle for turkey in Va or WV? I got one of those savage ,222 over 20ga i need to get rid of.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Big J

I'm tired and probably shouldn't be constructing sentences right now, but I'll take a stab at it.

My takeaways.

1) I'm not really surprised and it'll go through like the Australia gun buyback with little resistance. 

2) It is sad from a historic firearms collection standpoint.  New Zealand was one of the few countries you could own full auto weapons that were unmodified with original markings.  A lot of old world war firearms as a result ended up in New Zealand in private collections.  There were obviously strict laws for owning them even to the point of you couldn't own ammunition in the same caliber of those full auto weapons.  We'll see what the final wording of legislation is, but from the looks of it, they will be destroyed.  Would at least like to see them end up in a museum.

3) New Zealand is playing right into this fascist's goals.  He even stated in his manifesto that he could of chosen any number of methods to kill and methods that would of caused way more death, but selected the AR-15 to cause as much global chaos as possible.  Said it would cause issues in the US and erode the 2A, cause political strife, and create bans of freedoms currently granted. 

4) If you want to compare New Zealand's action to an evil person's acts of violence to what the US should do, you are comparing apples and oranges.  NZ doesn't have a right to firearms under their constitution.  They are an island nation with no neighboring countries and low population.  On top of that, the US would not willingly give up semi auto rifles.  It is to engrained into society and if foundational to the Constitution.  The whole point of the 2A is to prevent a tyrannical government.  A Republic is not a forever solution in my opinion and the founder's opinions and the 2A was a safeguard to allow the Republic to go on as long as possible.  And before you say "but but but you are saying AR-15's are going to defeat the government and military?" and believe you should look at moral, cases like arming citizens in civil war in proxy wars (Afghanistan vs Russia is a good example), or even in the US the Battle of Athens (really good read).