News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Over the holidays I had a distant cousin give me his late granddad's and dad's Winchester 94 in .25-.35.  I checked the serial and it was made in 1930.

The only stipulations of the gift were 1) I give it to my son and he gives it to his new son, Oakley, 2) I fire it 3 times at my cousin's funeral, and 3) I give his eulogy.  Not a bad deal.

In my youth I had admired the rifle for years when it was propped in the corner of his parent's mudroom.  It has ¼ of a buffalo nickel for the front sight and his late dad harvested many critters with the firearm. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

Phil

Hey, Muddy's post got me thinking -- I can't remember if I ever mentioned/posted this here before. My grandfather's 1890's Krag Springfield that he used in the Spanish-American War. It's mine now and still in working condition, although I've not fired it.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Al

Well I am not as old as  this will make me sound :laugh:  but I remember a childhood friend whose dad had a lot of old guns. One of them was the 25-35 that Muddy mentioned. We knew it was a little light for deer hunting but there were so many kids in that family that one of them ended up with it when I went on my first deer hunt. I took a 410 / 22 over/under. Shot at and missed my first deer with that thing. Deer were running and I just pointed it in general direction and pulled the trigger which I assummed missed (Back in those days if they didn't drop we were not smart enough to go check for blood :embarassed:)

That fellow's dad also had a 30-40 Krag much like the one Phil showed. I think a lot of them ended up being sold as government surplus and were used as deer rifles back in the day.  Another military surplus that found a lot of favor in the deer woods was the British 303 Enfield.

BTW my father had an octagon barreled 30-30.  Not sure who made them. Sure wish I had it today.

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 06, 2019, 12:38:36 PM
Over the holidays I had a distant cousin give me his late granddad's and dad's Winchester 94 in .25-.35.  I checked the serial and it was made in 1930.

The only stipulations of the gift were 1) I give it to my son and he gives it to his new son, Oakley, 2) I fire it 3 times at my cousin's funeral, and 3) I give his eulogy.  Not a bad deal.

In my youth I had admired the rifle for years when it was propped in the corner of his parent's mudroom.  It has ¼ of a buffalo nickel for the front sight and his late dad harvested many critters with the firearm.

A 1930's 94 is worth a chunk of money.  Holds more nostalgic value I'm sure.  If the gun is in decent shape, I bet that bluing is gorgeous.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on January 08, 2019, 14:07:11 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 06, 2019, 12:38:36 PM

A 1930's 94 is worth a chunk of money.  Holds more nostalgic value I'm sure.  If the gun is in decent shape, I bet that bluing is gorgeous.

The sentimental value outweighs the $ worth for sure.  There's a story from my youth behind the gun and I like to tell stories.   As I said, I admired the gun for years. 

The gun was a stage prop in the saga of the worse whipping I ever received from my late father.    I was 11 or 12 at the time and had heard the outdoor adventures from deep in Jim Dave Run from some of the older boys. They had built a canvas/wood hut and had spent the night there on several occasions.  I was mesmerized by their tales; I wanted to see it.  After church (yes, I went to church) one Sunday, they planned to return to check out their woodsy camp.    I begged my dad and he let me go.  Joe, Danny, and David were 5+ years older but agreed to let me see their homemade camp.   We each retrieved a firearm from David's dad's stock.  David carried the 94 25-35 (the one he gave me recently), I selected a single shot 22, Danny packed a 16 gauge single shot, and Joe has a 22 revolver.  During the ~3 mile walk to their camp I shot a squirrel, Joe nailed a young coon, Danny shot a fat doe with buckshot on an illegal deer drive, and David with his 94 shot the head off a flying grouse.   Danny has passed but 3 of us remain to vouch for the shot.  After that bang of that 94, I was positive the gun was special.  We cleaned the deer, and ate the squirrel and grouse by their fire ring.  I remember the coon (or its prep) being uneatable.  Dark approached and we were several hours getting back to the Back Creek valley.  At the mouth of Jim Dave Run waited my dad and my uncle Calvin, convinced the bunch of boys were in trouble.  My mother happened to be in the hospital at the time, so home provided no protection from my dad's wrath.   My dad and I laughed about that butt whipping much later.

ARontheFly

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on October 10, 2014, 13:31:56 PM
QuoteThese racial fears may seem like they belong to another era, but sometimes the present looks like the past, one historian says.

There was a run on gun stores when President Obama was elected and another when he was re-elected. There was also a run on gun stores just before President Clinton signed the Federal Assault Weapons ban in 1994. One historian, however, says the surges in gun sales that accompanied Obama's elections were reminiscent of another era.

Or, rather than racism, maybe the obama gun rush was instigated by the fear of gun control laws, not that the person just elected was black (or whatever the hail he is).  It is especially ironic that after trying to make the point, the author points out an example of where gun control instigated a gun rush.
[/i]

Not to argue, but while we're shooting the shit regarding that topic;

I wouldn't hesitate to say all of the above. At the time Obama was running for office I was a teenager hanging around a gun/fly shop located in the wealthiest area of Nashville, the shop functioned as a men's hang with sitting chairs set up in the corner like a cigar lounge. Not that i give a shit about the who's who folks in my town but i clearly recall several very wealthy men from prominent Nashville families making comments such as; direct quote here- "if Obama gets in office i need to be sure i have plenty of ammo so when they think they can come after us." This was not a one time thing, this was their narrative most days the closer it got to the election. Not always so direct as the above comment, but race a.k.a. the people filling the ghettos only a few miles as the crow flies from their prominent area was always reffered to in their talks regarding Obama and gun control.

Racisim is ancient, we are simple creatures in those respects. We look for any differences in everything in the world to build ourselves a narrative, its in our nature, its how our brains interpet reality. As a great Knoxville author once wrote-

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning.

The universe is no narrow thing and the order within it is not constrained by any latitude in its conception to repeat what exists in one part in any other part. Even in this world more things exist without our knowledge than with it and the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way. For existence has its own order and that no man's mind can compass, that mind itself being but a fact among others."

History isn't so much a study on the past as it is a study on who we are and what this place is we call the world and how we operate/interact within it as a species, both with eachother and the earth.

I wouldn't consider myself a conservative or a liberal, I'd propbably be conning myself to make the classic "i fall somewhere in between," claim.

All this to say, most everything always plays a factor and fuck news outlets on both sides that cause such a binary outlook on the world. We must keep in mind that ever since soapboxes, printed word and the arrival of modern day click bait articles; news is a business and the more views/clicks they get the more money they make.

I'm gonna go have a few beers so I can't balance on my own soap box now.

"We don't whitewash it either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey."

ARontheFly

HAHAHA sorry guys, I clicked on this thread and accidently thought Mudwall's original post was the most recent post.

On a more related note to the thread, I'm going to my parents house to search for an old 22LR
that lived in the back of their closet for years. Trying to figure out if it was my gradfathers or one they
picked up from another relative along the way. Will report back, hope its not rusted too bad. Just started
my squirrel hunting carreer this year.
"We don't whitewash it either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey."

Al

Personally I don't think the run on guns and ammo had or has anything to do with race. Fact is, some of the most anti-gun legislators are white folks. Check out Hillary, Blumberg, McAuliffe, Feinstein, etc, etc and they are all for restricting guns for the masses but not for themselves or those they hire to protect them. Same folks are also claiming walls don't work except around their own property.  It is also instructive that most of the places with high crime or mass shootings are the ones with the the most restrictive gun laws.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Al on January 13, 2019, 17:35:39 PM
Personally I don't think the run on guns and ammo had or has anything to do with race. Fact is, some of the most anti-gun legislators are white folks. Check out Hillary, Blumberg, McAuliffe, Feinstein, etc, etc and they are all for restricting guns for the masses but not for themselves or those they hire to protect them. Same folks are also claiming walls don't work except around their own property.  It is also instructive that most of the places with high crime or mass shootings are the ones with the the most restrictive gun laws.

It ain't "instructive"; it is bullshit!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-things-to-know-about-mass-shootings-in-america/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

More guns equal more mass shootings and crime.  Good luck with that wall, Al. 

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 13, 2019, 18:29:28 PM
  Good luck with that wall, Al.

Allowing the floodgates to be open to the desperate impoverished hordes along with very cruel, smart, and enterprising criminals is not an option.  If you don't have  a better plan, then don't mock the wall.  Some pretend nothing will happen if there is no border security.  Good luck with that!

Drought, overpopulation, desperation will be followed by some unpleasant choices for those that have, and it does not involve feeding the poor, but more like stand your ground and kill, or be killed.  Said perturbations will not happen is some distant nebulous future, it will happen in our lifetime.  Droughts push desperate people over the edge.  It happened in Syria, and now some are asserting that droughts are triggering migration from Central America.  The earth can only sustain but so many humans, and at some point something will have to give. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on January 13, 2019, 21:13:44 PM
  Good luck with that wall, Al.

Allowing the floodgates to be open to the desperate impoverished hordes along with very cruel, smart, and enterprising criminals is not an option.  If you don't have  a better plan, then don't mock the wall.  Some pretend nothing will happen if there is no border security.  Good luck with that!

Drought, overpopulation, desperation will be followed by some unpleasant choices for those that have, and it does not involve feeding the poor, but more like stand your ground and kill, or be killed.  Said perturbations will not happen is some distant nebulous future, it will happen in our lifetime.  Droughts push desperate people over the edge.  It happened in Syria, and now some are asserting that droughts are triggering migration from Central America.  The earth can only sustain but so many humans, and at some point something will have to give.

The "very cruel, smart, and enterprising criminals" are already here; they were born here.  I will mock the wall, because a 2000 mile wall is not achievable.

Big J

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/6-things-to-know-about-mass-shootings-in-america/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

BS Hiner.  Weak premise.  There are stats that talk about guns prevent exponentially more deaths and defensive uses than they are used for homicide and crime.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2018/03/20/any-study-of-gun-violence-should-include-how-guns-save-lives/#20cb56755edc

There are studies putting the amount to defensive uses of firearm up to 2.5 million a year.  You can find studies that put it at 100,000, but look at their criteria for "defensive uses". CDC put the amounts in a range from 60,000 to 120,000, but added that it could be up to 2.5 million since data on defensive use of a firearm is not a data point that is accumulated by police departments and a lot of times goes unreported to police. 

The amount of guns in the US has gone up and the amount of violent crime has continued to go down. 

Homicide if a gun is in a home goes up by 1.41 times?  You do realize that the rate of a homicide with a firearm in the US is .00448%.  So that brings it up to .00632%?  I call BS on that and the difference can probably be chalked up to nothing more than margin of error. 

hcrum87hc

To be fair, he didn't say more guns equals less crime, which is what your articles argue against.  Mass shootings do tend to happen in gun free zones: schools, churches (I know they're not all gun free), concerts/theaters, etc.  You can also look at places like Chicago and their shootings.  Chicago has some of the most restrictive gun laws, but as of July last year, over 1400 people had been shot. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/g00/news/local/breaking/ct-met-weekend-shooting-violence-20180709-story.html?i10c.ua=1&i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8%3d&i10c.dv=2

Also, speaking as someone who bought more guns and related items during the Obama era, it had nothing to do with race and everything to do with the concern of future legislation.  I don't care what color someone's skin is when it comes to defending myself and my family. 
Jeremiah 17:7

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on January 14, 2019, 09:14:59 AM

BS Hiner.  Weak premise.  There are stats that talk about guns prevent exponentially more deaths and defensive uses than they are used for homicide and crime.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2018/03/20/any-study-of-gun-violence-should-include-how-guns-save-lives/#20cb56755edc

There are studies putting the amount to defensive uses of firearm up to 2.5 million a year.  You can find studies that put it at 100,000, but look at their criteria for "defensive uses". CDC put the amounts in a range from 60,000 to 120,000, but added that it could be up to 2.5 million since data on defensive use of a firearm is not a data point that is accumulated by police departments and a lot of times goes unreported to police. 

The amount of guns in the US has gone up and the amount of violent crime has continued to go down. 

Homicide if a gun is in a home goes up by 1.41 times?  You do realize that the rate of a homicide with a firearm in the US is .00448%.  So that brings it up to .00632%?  I call BS on that and the difference can probably be chalked up to nothing more than margin of error.

J, your verbiage reminded me of the nonsensical saying, "If I had ham, I'd have ham and eggs, if I had eggs". 

With my blinders securely on, I know that the U.S. is the top civilian gun-owning country, and in the U.S. over 60% of homicides are gun related, and we, good old America, are either #1 or around #11 in mass shootings (depending on the inclusion of rate per population).  Plus, you must admit we do have absolute ease in obtaining firearms.   Tightening and adjusting those little side blinkers, scrutinizing those numbers, the facts, I have come to the conclusion we have a gun problem, because, with conviction, I am sure we don't have a greater number of crazies in this country over other civilized nations. 

Peace, you bunch of Moloch-gun-loving peckerwoods (Leviticus 18.21, 20.1-5 for the biblically challenged).  I am open for inducement on our number of crazies, if anyone is interested.