News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

I have had a concealed carry permit for a long time. I jumped through the hoops because I had to. If permitless carry becomes law, I will continue to renew it, because of the reciprocity with other states that I regularly travel to and through.

As I said, freedom can be scary for some. But, I bet you would be shocked to know how many of the folks you pass in the grocery store, restaurant, or other places you travel, have a gun concealed on them. Those are not the folks you need to worry about. In fact, they may save your life some day. People who commit crimes with guns should be dealt with harshly. As for infringement, keep in mind that when the 2nd was written, the average citizen was as well or better armed than the average soldier. As written, civilians could legally own anything that the military had. The main intent of the 2nd is to have a populace that is capable of resisting governmental tyranny should it arise.

As for the gun violence statistics, two things are never pointed out by those who quote them. One is that a very big percentage of these gun crimes are committed by convicted felons who already cannot legally own a gun. Another is that the majority of this gun violence happens in the same places-mostly inner cities with strict gun control laws. And much of it is gang and drug related, committed, again, by those who can't legally own guns. More gun laws do not help in reality. And so far, about 100% of mass shootings occur in "gun-free" zones where it is illegal for anyone to have a firearm. I wonder why?
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 04, 2017, 07:32:52 AM
I have had a concealed carry permit for a long time. I jumped through the hoops because I had to. If permitless carry becomes law, I will continue to renew it, because of the reciprocity with other states that I regularly travel to and through.

As I said, freedom can be scary for some. But, I bet you would be shocked to know how many of the folks you pass in the grocery store, restaurant, or other places you travel, have a gun concealed on them. Those are not the folks you need to worry about. In fact, they may save your life some day. People who commit crimes with guns should be dealt with harshly. As for infringement, keep in mind that when the 2nd was written, the average citizen was as well or better armed than the average soldier. As written, civilians could legally own anything that the military had. The main intent of the 2nd is to have a populace that is capable of resisting governmental tyranny should it arise.

As for the gun violence statistics, two things are never pointed out by those who quote them. One is that a very big percentage of these gun crimes are committed by convicted felons who already cannot legally own a gun. Another is that the majority of this gun violence happens in the same places-mostly inner cities with strict gun control laws. And much of it is gang and drug related, committed, again, by those who can't legally own guns. More gun laws do not help in reality. And so far, about 100% of mass shootings occur in "gun-free" zones where it is illegal for anyone to have a firearm. I wonder why?

I personally don't like concealed weapons and have never ever even felt close to needing one.  I have a wife, two young children and another one on the way.
I have decent things.  I travel to "inner city" areas frequently.  I deal with people who have criminal records frequently.  And I promise you I live in a place with more crime than just about anyone in this discussion.  Never.  Not once have I considered taking a gun with me when I leave my home.

That being said there is a 2nd Amendment and I think there's room for people to carry guns.  Period.  But this argument that it cannot even be regulated is inconsistent with centuries of constitutional law.  Constitutional rights can be regulated for various reasons.  Can the regulation become so stifling such that it's considered an infringement?  Abso-fucking-lutely.  Does requiring a background check for people to carry fall in that category?  No.

But a few point by points:

1.  I'm glad you'll continue to renew your license even though you won't have to.  Not everyone will though.

2.  "The people we need to worry about" will be able to lawfully carry under this law correct?  The reason I don't have to worry about you is because you've been through background checks.

3.  In 1791, it was legal for humans to enslave other humans.  It bothers me when people cite certain constitutional theories for one particular right without looking at whether or not they should apply to other rights given to us in the constitution.  Long short, what was happening at the time of the drafting is one of many numerous considerations.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I have a permit and now own a few pistols.  Honestly, I am ashamed that I have the permit.  BUT, I developed a yellow, chicken shit streak because of coyotes and bears.  I've never carried around the public, only when hunting, fishing, hiking, or camping.  I've seen some hairy two-legged critters in Wal-Mart, but never any 4 legged.  There in lays my fear, now resulting in carrying a pistol in the woods.

Peace, you gun loving peckerwoods!!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 05, 2017, 16:51:16 PM
I have a permit and now own a few pistols.  Honestly, I am ashamed that I have the permit.  BUT, I developed a yellow, chicken shit streak because of coyotes and bears.  I've never carried around the public, only when hunting, fishing, hiking, or camping.  I've seen some hairy two-legged critters in Wal-Mart, but never any 4 legged.  There in lays my fear, now resulting in carrying a pistol in the woods.

Peace, you gun loving peckerwoods!!!
Coyotes and bears don't worry me at all. It's the other bipeds without feathers that I don't trust. :D

troutfanatic

I have faith in humans, until narcotics or methamphetamine comes into play. I'd like a nice coyote pelt, but haven't the time to do one up. Bears are harmless, throw them a sandwich.

I think open carry is an obnoxious statement that drives fear and would rather see it go away. It is one thing for someone to carry a 9mm handgun into a business, it is another thing altogether for these clowns that want to patrol Walmart with an M4 or AK.

Not much will convince me otherwise. I support concealed carry, but it needs to be controlled. I like NC's current policy of graduating from a certification course and having a background check. I realize criminals will carry regardless, but some will think twice. Consider parole violations and back to the can for example. I have seen people do some downright stupid shit while carrying a firearm. I used to hang out with a guy who claimed to be a handgun expert, yet I found internet postings where he admitted he had no clue how to disassemble his own pistol.

A law like this will have costs higher than benefit.

Yallerhammer

I totally agree on the "look at me!" open carry crowd. I have a pretty epic arsenal of scary-looking weapons, but I have no desire to tote it around through Walmart so that I can look like a badass in my own mind and impress and frighten people. Open carry out in rural Yancey County is one thing, but in Trader Joe's in the middle of Asheville, it's a quite different thing. Those folks do nothing but hurt and restrict our 2nd Amendment rights by acting like idiots. And their actions often result in the "no weapons" signs going up on business doors. Personally, I would rather no one know that I have a gun on me unless I am involved in a life-or-death situation. Open carry makes you a target.

Big J

Quote from: Yallerhammer on June 05, 2017, 18:16:01 PM

Coyotes and bears don't worry me at all. It's the other bipeds without feathers that I don't trust. :D

Out where Mudwall is, is about 1 of 3 locations in VA I'd be concerned with bear.  State use (might still) to relocate a lot of trouble bears out that way to get them away from towns and populations.  Other location bear concern me in VA is SNP.  Too many human interactions with those bears and they just are not afraid of humans like they use to be and view them as a source of carrying food. 

hcrum87hc

Yaller, when it comes to guns and gun rights, I think you and I are kindred spirits.  I don't really have an issue with constitutional carry one way or the other.  Like you, I much prefer to carry concealed, and will continue to do so by renewing my SC CWP permit.  I carry everywhere I legally can, and pray that I never have to use it, but bad things can happen at any time, and in any place.  It's my responsibility to protect my family, and I will do so if the need arises. 

It's baffling to me why these mouth breathers carry their AR-15s and other rifles around town and into businesses.  They're just going for shock factor and I guess trying to make a point, but all they're doing is hurting our cause.  I do believe everyone has the right to own firearms, including ARs and AKs, but I don't think everyone should.   Some people are just too dumb for their own (and our) good.
Jeremiah 17:7

sanjuanwormhatch

But are you okay with permitless carry?

hcrum87hc

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on June 06, 2017, 09:05:29 AM
But are you okay with permitless carry?

I'm pretty indifferent to it, to be honest.  I wouldn't likely take advantage of it, personally.  I'm not fully aware of the laws in other states, but the proposed constitutional carry law in SC would require one to open carry if they did not have a CWP.  We don't currently have open carry in SC unless fishing or hunting. 

Would it bother me?  No.  People who are already illegally carrying concealed will continue to do so.  Why would they open carry and give away their surprise factor and draw attention to themselves?  Felons aren't allowed to own guns, by law.  They're already breaking the law by having one, so why would they advertise it by open carrying per the constitutional carry law (which would be illegal anyways, as the law wouldn't apply to someone who cannot legally own a gun)?  I don't see it changing things except allowing those that wish to open carry legally do so.

Jeremiah 17:7

Big J

Since there isn't much fishing on her lately........

New to me rifle. Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Been wanting to try out some long range shooting with this caliber.

ryguy

Nice rifle!  How long is long range? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big J

Quote from: ryguy on December 19, 2017, 19:57:44 PM
Nice rifle!  How long is long range? 

Hitting at 1,000 yards is my goal. Need to get a nicer optic for the rifle though.

Big J

Same model rifle at a range I hope to visit in Virginia soon.

ryguy

That would be fun!  I competed with an M16 out to 400m open sights, takes some getting used to.  That range was a 1000yd range but we didn't have anything to shoot that far (and expect to hit a target).