As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomato can

Quote from: Big J on January 27, 2016, 21:41:44 PM
Quote from: tomato can on January 27, 2016, 21:09:58 PM
I would love to get my hands on a lightly used .44 mag lever action.

Big Boy Guns in Blue Ridge had a Marlin JM stamped barrel in .44 mag last week. Might still have it.

I have winnie tastes and marlin budged.  but before I do that I am still saving up for an al raft trailer.

RiverbumCO

Picked up my .44 marlin today.  Gonna shoot it tomorrow, i bought the 50rd magtech ammo for $38.  Not terrible.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

JMiller

Ive got one of those in .35 rem.
A 1980, pre safety model. Love that gun.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Dee-Vo

.35 Rem is sweet. I love the levers.

Yallerhammer

.35 Rem is an underrated caliber, IMO. Great woods gun for deer, hogs,  and bear.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

Quote from: RiverbumCO on January 28, 2016, 21:29:56 PM
Picked up my .44 marlin today.  Gonna shoot it tomorrow, i bought the 50rd magtech ammo for $38.  Not terrible.

Whenever you go to Wally World, look at the ammo.  There is a brand call Perfecta.  Fiocchi is supposedly the manufacturer.  I bought 50 rds of .357 mag for $18 which is way below the average price.  Great target ammo and all 100 rds feed perfectly thru my lever gun.  Sure the .44 mag is below average price as well.

rbphoto

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 29, 2016, 07:58:50 AM
.35 Rem is an underrated caliber, IMO. Great woods gun for deer, hogs,  and bear.

Phenomenal round.

Last deer I shot was with this round.

Directly head on, up the nasal cavity.  14" penetration with no exit.

Deer fell DRT - dead right there. 

Have shot for zero, but haven't shot anything with some of the Leverevolution ammo.  Know some folks reaching out beyond 200yds with excellent success.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

tomato can

Quote from: Big J on January 29, 2016, 09:10:09 AM
Quote from: RiverbumCO on January 28, 2016, 21:29:56 PM

Whenever you go to Wally World, look at the ammo.  There is a brand call Perfecta.  Fiocchi is supposedly the manufacturer.  I bought 50 rds of .357 mag for $18 which is way below the average price.  Great target ammo and all 100 rds feed perfectly thru my lever gun.  Sure the .44 mag is below average price as well.

You can get boxes of .38 special from www.slickguns.com for 14 bucks a box.

RiverbumCO

I bought 50 rds of magtech for $38 w/o reading this.  Oh well, just wanted to blast some off.  I shot 20 today beside my .25-06.  Trigger work and stock mods on the .25 paid off, thumbnail sized group with 4 shots from 50 yds, which is an improvement for the cheap-o Axis rifle.   

The lever gun is awesome.  It didnt group great, but thats with shitty ammo and a scope that im 99% sure isnt adjusting the crosshairs when i adjust them.  Looking to upgrade with either a 1.5-5x20 leupold vx-3 or 1.25x4-20 vx-r firedot reticle.  With some premium hunting ammo i think i can group 3 shots in an inch at 50.

The .44 had much less recoil than the .25, which surprised me.

Yallerhammer

The .44 mag is a pistol round. It doesn't have nearly as much powder in it as the .25-06, which is just a necked-down .30-06. The .44 is stout for a pistol round, but is weak compared to most rifle rounds. Still plenty enough for deer at reasonable ranges, though.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 30, 2016, 09:16:31 AM
The .44 mag is a pistol round. It doesn't have nearly as much powder in it as the .25-06, which is just a necked-down .30-06. The .44 is stout for a pistol round, but is weak compared to most rifle rounds. Still plenty enough for deer at reasonable ranges, though.
I am sure he is aware of this information, as is everyone else otb

Yallerhammer

Probably so. I was not trying to be a smartass, just commenting on his statement that he was surprised that the .44 had a lot less recoil than the .25/06.

Big J

Quote from: wildmttrout on January 30, 2016, 15:32:01 PM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on January 30, 2016, 09:16:31 AM
I am sure he is aware of this information, as is everyone else otb

I personally never overestimate Erik's intelligence.

RiverbumCO

RiverbumCO

But really, looking like with Hornady xtps i can be 2 high at 50, dead at 100 and 3-4 low at 150.  Not that im shooting 150 with it.