News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

You try shooting something that can shoot back and you want something that can anchor the sucker no matter where you hit him. "Spray and pray" or as SR put it, "shooting twice" is often not an option.

Another problem I saw with the .223 was when the other fellow had a 30 caliber he could pin you down at long range and you could not reach him with your pea shooter. I've heard SOF have experienced the same thing in our current war and some special units have been equipped with larger calibers.

Yallerhammer

TF, you ever see any of the .50 Beowulf ARs over there? Buddy of mine has one, said it was developed for check points and such to kill engine blocks. Good shooting, hard-hitting  rifle, probably similar to a hot-loaded .45/70 ballistics-wise.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

ptfranze

Yallerhammer

I'd worry a lot more more about the dude with one gun who shoots people than the dude with 5,000 guns who doesn't.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This gun ownership thing is darned interesting.  Wrapping one's brain around what is going on in our country is difficult for me.  Honestly, I have no idea if more gun control is the remedy; perhaps control of certain types and capacities would decrease the carnage somewhat.  I believe most Americans are in favor of more control, and if this is indeed true, then it should be given its due.  What does concern me is organizations and industry controlling the situation and the agenda and the politicians.  Would getting rid of all firearms cure the problem?  No, not any more than shipping every Islamic citizen back across the water would solve terrorism on our soil.  Another entity would emerge.   

Worrying about who has a gun and how many they own has never crossed my mind.  Fearing one's own demise is a chicken-shit trait in my book.  Now, the security and wellbeing of family and loved ones is another story. 

Maybe we can learn from the bonobos.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bonobos-what-we-can-learn-from-our-primate-cousin/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sex-dawn/201202/7-things-bonobos-can-teach-us-about-love-and-sex

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

driver

My cousin has a gun shop, and 2013 was his best year. Most sales coming in the months after Sandy Hook. He makes his best money when there are mass shootings.

Onslow

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

That looks like it would hurt. 

Picked up a Winchester 94 in .357 magnum.  I may have get a deer this next season for some summer sausage.

tomato can

dag gum, where did ya pick up that rifle?

Big J

Quote from: tomato can on January 27, 2016, 15:31:04 PM
dag gum, where did ya pick up that rifle?

Finding a .357 mag Lever gun is like finding hen's teeth these days.  Especially a Winchester 94 in .357 mag.  You can find some Rossi's in .357, but they are garbage, and some Henry's, but I hate Henry's not having a loading gate in receiver.  Cowboy action shooters scoop up .357 mag lever guns quickly.  Found it in a shop in Roanoke.  Hardly shot if at even all. 

Al

I know I will catch hell for this observation - Be sure to pick your shots Big J because a .357 is a little light for deer  (yes, I know, lots of deer shot with 22 rimfire but neither the 357 or the 22 would be my choice for a deer rifle)

Big J

Quote from: Al on January 27, 2016, 20:32:49 PM
I know I will catch hell for this observation - Be sure to pick your shots Big J because a .357 is a little light for deer  (yes, I know, lots of deer shot with 22 rimfire but neither the 357 or the 22 would be my choice for a deer rifle)

Yes, I agree with you. you can get some pretty stout .357 hunting loads though. It would be a under 50 yards gun

tomato can

I would love to get my hands on a lightly used .44 mag lever action. 

Big J

Quote from: tomato can on January 27, 2016, 21:09:58 PM
I would love to get my hands on a lightly used .44 mag lever action.

Big Boy Guns in Blue Ridge had a Marlin JM stamped barrel in .44 mag last week. Might still have it.