News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmadd

Granny, were those guns popular in that area or is there a specific story behind it?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: steelrain202 on November 06, 2014, 10:44:11 AM
I love evil black rifles

That's cool Steelie.  I don't love any inanimate object – can't think of any that I adore.   I do however like my black virtuous microwave and my white worthy wash machine.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

I do not shoot what I have now enough to justify buying another gun.  I will pick up another .357 smith or ruger in the next year or so, but I'm happy with what I have now.  I need to make it back to the shooting range soon.....

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: steelrain202 on November 06, 2014, 12:54:58 PM
I LOVE  a few of my less evil black pistols as well. Mudd I am sorry your incapable of love. There are support groups for that. Maybe you should 12 step your way to affection. Your obamacare should pay for that

I do love many things, all organic, living.  After some thoughtful head scratching, baby wipes may be the closest I come to loving a lifeless object.   

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: steelrain202 on November 06, 2014, 13:31:10 PM
It appears you have a foot fetish as well. Hey that's cool they have support groups for that as well. Unless you really love it then why stop

Oh yes, the foot and toe fetish, just one of many fixations I have.  I wish I could love my guns, but I can't, so I am relegated to the majority of American gun owners that can never join groups like the N.R.A. 

Grannyknot

Quote from: bmadd on November 06, 2014, 12:04:40 PM
Granny, were those guns popular in that area or is there a specific story behind it?

The 21, I found in a closet at a relatives house in Kentucky.  Got no clue about its popularity.  I do know that it hasn't been shot since the 70s.
The long tom was a cheap bird gun that could easily be acquired from the sears & roebuck catalog.

Here are the boring bits:
Russell Gregory had a custom rifle that he hunted with in the mountains.  It was rumored to have a 40" barrel to improve accuracy, since there wasn't really rifled barrels at that point in time.
He called it Old Long Tom.  He was killed 3 years into the civil war, but before that, was visited by a Mr. William Baker, who he guided on a hunting expedition in the mountains.
Baker would go on to co-found the baker gun company, which was bought and sold about 5 different times, but produced the "Long Tom" shotgun, beginning around 1890.
The common characteristic of the Long Tom guns was their 36-40 inch barrel, which some say was inspired by Russell Gregory's gun.

Some say the picture of Anthony Gregory is him holding Russell's old gun, but in my opinion, it is clearly a shotgun, & not a black powder rifle, which considering the time period, Gregory's likely was.
It does appear to have a lengthy barrel, so I think it might be one of the Long Tom shot guns.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I bought the gun from a guy in Townsend that ran a glorified pawn shop of old junk.  The kind of place a history channel show likes to exploit.
Anyway, there's loads more to the story, but unfortunately it isn't much more than a story, & some wishful thinking here & there. 
There's lots of conflicting information everywhere, from the circumstances around Russell's death to what happened to his gun.

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Big J

Quote from: Grannyknot on November 06, 2014, 13:51:19 PM
Quote from: bmadd on November 06, 2014, 12:04:40 PM

The 21, I found in a closet at a relatives house in Kentucky.  Got no clue about its popularity.  I do know that it hasn't been shot since the 70s.
The long tom was a cheap bird gun that could easily be acquired from the sears & roebuck catalog.

Here are the boring bits:
Russell Gregory had a custom rifle that he hunted with in the mountains.  It was rumored to have a 40" barrel to improve accuracy, since there wasn't really rifled barrels at that point in time.
He called it Old Long Tom.  He was killed 3 years into the civil war, but before that, was visited by a Mr. William Baker, who he guided on a hunting expedition in the mountains.
Baker would go on to co-found the baker gun company, which was bought and sold about 5 different times, but produced the "Long Tom" shotgun, beginning around 1890.
The common characteristic of the Long Tom guns was their 36-40 inch barrel, which some say was inspired by Russell Gregory's gun.

Some say the picture of Anthony Gregory is him holding Russell's old gun, but in my opinion, it is clearly a shotgun, & not a black powder rifle, which considering the time period, Gregory's likely was.
It does appear to have a lengthy barrel, so I think it might be one of the Long Tom shot guns.

I bought the gun from a guy in Townsend that ran a glorified pawn shop of old junk.  The kind of place a history channel show likes to exploit.
Anyway, there's loads more to the story, but unfortunately it isn't much more than a story, & some wishful thinking here & there. 
There's lots of conflicting information everywhere, from the circumstances around Russell's death to what happened to his gun.

I enjoyed this.  Thanks for sharing.

sanjuanwormhatch

Agree.  Story makes the gun much more valuable. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 06, 2014, 13:58:33 PM
Stephen,

have you acquired one of those critters again? Meaning the four-legged kind?

No, I have limited authority in my home, and when it comes to pets I have none.  There I said it.  At least my wife doesn't dress me.

As I stated earlier, my plan is a female pooch from the pound when I retire.  There are a couple of the mountain neighbor's dogs that I have semi-adopted.  Damn, I miss my dog that passed last fall.

Granny, I liked your story!!!

bmadd

Not that boring man. Useless knowledge probably, but not boring. I'll have to read a little more about him if there are some conspiracies regarding him. I knew him to be a settler of that area and just thought he was killed for supporting the union and defending his property.

Grannyknot

Quote from: bmadd on November 06, 2014, 14:08:53 PM
Not that boring man. Useless knowledge probably, but not boring. I'll have to read a little more about him if there are some conspiracies regarding him. I knew him to be a settler of that area and just thought he was killed for supporting the union and defending his property.

Most of cades cove actually supported the union, but kept it on the DL in an effort to keep good relationships with other communities.
They were fairly isolated & self sustaining, but still relied on trade with Tuckaleechee cove & Maryville.
The cove residents were constantly harassed by rouge bands of confederate soldiers.
They would come over the mountains looking for lodging, food, horses, & ammunition.
The citizens dealt with it for a while, but it started turning into more of a pillaging, and so Russell began leading a resistance against it.
The predominant theory was that he was killed by rebels that came over the mtn from North Carolina.
Some think he was shot in cold blood, with his back turned, some say it was a decent sized skirmish.

The kicker is that his son had joined a North Carolina confederate troop & some say he was part of the group that killed him.

And there's my thread hijack for the day.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

bmadd

Sounds like the plot of a movie I'd enjoy. Wooly - you're in the media biz, make it happen.

Big J

John S. Mosby hid in Lynchburg after the war until he was pardoned.  Just a little pointless tidbit.

Al

Well now that the thread has gone to the civil war  /'/ One of my relatives was drafted into the union army and wrote the popular civil war era song

"tenting in the old campground"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenting_on_the_Old_Camp_Ground 

click on this one for several links to listen to the song - https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=tenting+in+the+old+campground&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

I clicked through a few of them and this one will send a chill up your spine.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: steelrain202 on November 06, 2014, 16:20:51 PM
I have some grape shot I found on a family farm outside of chattanooga when I was a kid

Here's some grape shot I collected some time ago as well.  Shit is heavy and dense, would give you a hell of a headache if hit with it.

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 06, 2014, 15:25:14 PM
I also have an officer's saber (CSA) but it is in pathetic condition. I inherited it after my Grandparents died. I have no real idea what the origin is.

I have a saber as well.  It was passed down to me and as the story goes my grandfather and his brother found it at the site of a former Civil War battle.  It is manufactured by Horstmann and Sons, Philadelphia on the reverse side (can be made out on the shoulder of the blade).  From what I found out it was a infantry officers sword, coulda been either carried by either side despite the location it was manufactured.