News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker

Quote from: Phil on December 23, 2018, 07:35:32 AM
Yeah man, the Ruger LCP II is a sweet little gun. Have you guys read up on the Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo? Not a hollow point due to .380 penetration concerns. Worth a look -- https://www.underwoodammo.com/products/380-acp-65-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=7865927761977

The LCP II is one I've been looking at as well. 
Have carried a Walther PPS SS for years that feels good in hand, accurate and reliable.
Want something a little lighter to carry.  Going to try and find some of the Xtreme defender ammo.
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Phil

Hey, Don. I'm using the Underwood Xtreme Defender rounds for SD carrying. It's expensive, so I just shot a box of 20 out of the LCP II to make sure it would work in the gun and use other cheaper stuff for range use. No problems at all with the Underwood. I had to order it online through https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/ammunition.do -- couldn't find it around here.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Xtreme Defender, Xtreme penetrator, Critical Defense ---- defend against what/whom, penetrate into what/whom?  I know, a rhetorical question.   Probably just me, but the labeling of certain firearms and the ammo have always made me a tad uncomfortable.   Stop the bad guy, yes, but personally, slaying someone would be a life changer I don't believe I could handle.  I realize I would have made a piss-poor soldier. 

Have we allowed the firearm/ammo industry to exploit our passion and/or fear with the catchy labeling?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 24, 2018, 10:19:41 AM
Xtreme Defender, Xtreme penetrator, Critical Defense ---- defend against what/whom, penetrate into what/whom?  I know, a rhetorical question.   Probably just me, but the labeling of certain firearms and the ammo have always made me a tad uncomfortable.   Stop the bad guy, yes, but personally, slaying someone would be a life changer I don't believe I could handle.  I realize I would have made a piss-poor soldier. 

Have we allowed the firearm/ammo industry to exploit our passion and/or fear with the catchy labeling?

The answer to your second question is yes. The firearm/ammo industry uses "catchy" labeling just like every other industry.
Would you have made a piss-poor soldier? I dunno, Muddy. I don't think anybody knows until they are in the situation. Slaying someone is indeed a life changer.  So is getting slayed.

Big J

Unfortunately a lot of the ammo and gun industry likes tacticool names and labels. Kind of started in the 80's and 90's. Anyone remember the street sweeper?  The gun was basically a pump shotgun but they way they marketed it got it banned.

Related note, extreme penetrator round would make an awesome grizzly bear round if carrying out west.

Al

Quote from: Phil on December 24, 2018, 11:29:24 AM

The answer to your second question is yes. The firearm/ammo industry uses "catchy" labeling just like every other industry.
Would you have made a piss-poor soldier? I dunno, Muddy. I don't think anybody knows until they are in the situation. Slaying someone is indeed a life changer.  So is getting slayed.

The big differencce between slaying someone and getting slayed is you can only get slayed once.

22midge

Muddy my Friend ...slaying someone is not something anyone finds easy to handle but after you zip a few body bags you learn quickly that there is someone making the same decision that you are. Then the question becomes who is going to survive....Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Big J

Big J

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Never have owned a CZ, and found this CZ 75b that went home with me. Trigger was a little far for me so I installed a Cajun Gun Works Reach Reduction Kit and Short Reset Kit. Trigger in single action is border line 1911 with a really nice reset now. I've worked on a lot of guns but this CZ takes the cake on pain in the rear. Bunch of staked pins and the sear assembly was a pain to get springs put back into.

Phil

Sweet.! I've always heard CZ's were hard to work on. Wouldn't dream of trying to install anything in one.

Big J

Hard is an understatement. To remove the pin for the hammer and disconnect you have to set it on a wood block, take a 5 lb hammer and a special starter punch and beat the snot out of it for 30 minutes. Why CZ stakes those pins like that still baffles me. A pin and blue loctite is sufficient. Those springs in the sear cage I gave up on 3 different occasions. Lost the sear spring first time. Had to order a new one. Second time I gave up in frustration. Third time I ran out of time. FOURTH time I got lucky and got it. I literally sat there in disbelief that it was finished. May of cried a little.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Went to the range today for a short trip.  Dumped some rounds thru the CZ.  Ate up 150 rounds.  Like the trigger, like the gun.  Was shooting a tad to the left but tightened it up as I warmed up with the gun.  Have some new sights I ordered.  Stock sights are garbage and very hard to pick up.  Since it's a range toy I bought some Dawson Fiber Optic sights to slap on her.  Should be good to go after that.

Phil

Big J

Going along with my earlier comments about extreme penetrator being a good bear round.