Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmadd

Quote from: driver on February 08, 2018, 12:32:59 PM
I've always laughed at duck hunters that tell me the shoot 3.5s

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My cousin in law that hunts with me is a die hard 3.5 BB shooter. He cannot be talked out of it either. I tried a couple years back and now I just SMH.

I don't do any woods walking, but I still love my 870 20 gauge. I got the youth version for my first gun. About 5 years ago I bought a 26" barrel and a full size synthetic stock for it. It's a very natural pointer for me and I still use it a lot for Dove and early wood duck\teal season. If duck shells weren't more expensive than 12, I would probably use it for everything.

Pansyman

Quote from: JMiller on February 09, 2018, 11:14:05 AM
Just my opinion, but if you're taking/teaching kids, I would advise a break action gun.

Doesn't have to be some $2,000 bejeweled masterpiece, even a NEF Pardner single, or some of the new Turkish O/Us are excellent quality. ATI, CZ, etc. Nice and light.
No barrel plugs come dove season, no fumbling to get all the shells out the mag tube. 

Very easy to tell if it's loaded and ready to shoot. If not actively hunting, everyone stands around with actions OPEN, everyone can see everyone is safe.

Nothing against pumps at all I own one, but you can't be too safe.

You're correct Sir IMHO.  I learned to dove hunt, rabbit hunt with one, broke open while walking,,,,,,,,,,,safety is first.
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

Phil

I gave this 1920's Iver Johnson 20 to my son. It was my father's, then my first gun and I took care of it. Dave learned to gunsmith, restored it completely, and uses it.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

greg

That's a sweet 20 there. Reminds me of my grandfathers 410 I have.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Phil on February 11, 2018, 16:41:56 PM
I gave this 1920's Iver Johnson 20 to my son. It was my father's, then my first gun and I took care of it. Dave learned to gunsmith, restored it completely, and uses it.

I've got an old Iver Johnson 16 gauge that belonged to my great-grandpa. It's the semi-hammerless model with the ring in the trigger guard to break it down, made sometime between 1900 and 1908..
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Phil

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 28, 2018, 18:10:55 PM
Gun, guns, guns, everyone loves guns!

I just ordered one of these in a 20 gauge last week.

I just patterned this turkey gun with 3 different loads.  All 3 loads patterned the same- -high and to the left.  The back beaded rail sight was adjustable left and right, so the windage was corrected.  Trouble is the rear sight is as low as it will go, so adjusting elevation is not.  I could raise the front beaded sight with some work, but the question I have is: --- could I simply not take such a fine front bead and align with more of the front bead (and post) visible, essentially raising the front sight?

Does this make sense to any of you gun gurus or am I off base?  Thanks. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on April 02, 2018, 08:29:43 AM

I just patterned this turkey gun with 3 different loads.  All 3 loads patterned the same- -high and to the left.  The back beaded rail sight was adjustable left and right, so the windage was corrected.  Trouble is the rear sight is as low as it will go, so adjusting elevation is not.  I could raise the front beaded sight with some work, but the question I have is: --- could I simply not take such a fine front bead and align with more of the front bead (and post) visible, essentially raising the front sight?

How high is the gun shooting?  If it wasn't by much, I'd just use Kentucky Windage.  You sure your putting the front sight high enough in the rear notch sight picture?

Al

Definitely a head scratcher b'; but it makes about as much sense as some of your other thought provoking posts ;D

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on April 02, 2018, 08:49:01 AM

How high is the gun shooting?  If it wasn't by much, I'd just use Kentucky Windage.  You sure your putting the front sight high enough in the rear notch sight picture?

About 10" high.  KY windage is for left and right, correct?

I am putting front bead deep in rear sight, so I can see nothing but bead.  That is my point/question.  If I align front sight higher (bead higher and some of its post exposed) will that work? Now the 2 beads of the rear and the front bead are even horizontally -- if I stack the front bead on top of the 2 rear -- like a 3 log pyramid will that lower the impact pattern? 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Kentucky Windage can be for direction, it's just knowing POI of a gun and holding off target slightly so POI is on target.  But 10" high on a new gun, I'd send it back to manufacturer.  No reason a gun should leave factory that off.  Other option would be just to buy new sights and install them yourself, especially if your not crazy in love with the current set up.

Beetle

I agree with Jacob.   Unless you have dominant eye issues, it's the gun and I would send it back.

Sincerely,
Over and Under Only

Phil

From a brief mention of it someone made a few months ago -- has anybody here bought the Sig 365? Thoughts/opinions? Is it really superior to the G26 in concealability or more comparable to the G26 Gen5?

Big J

Quote from: Phil on April 16, 2018, 14:34:27 PM
From a brief mention of it someone made a few months ago -- has anybody here bought the Sig 365? Thoughts/opinions? Is it really superior to the G26 in concealability or more comparable to the G26 Gen5?

I've fondled one at the gun shop that was waiting on its owner to pick up.  Think S&W Shield or Glock 43 size.  Big difference is the fact they kept it at 1" width but fitting 10 and 12 rounds.  S&W Shield is .95" and holds 7 and 8 rounds.  You get semi double stack mag but staying in single stack size category.  Glock 26 is 1.18" width.  While .18 of an inch doesn't seem like a whole lot, it makes a big difference if you are going to IWB carry.  I've tried IWB carrying a double stack gun, and just isn't comfortable to me.  When I had a Shield, I didn't even feel it. I'll be picking up a P365 soon.  They seem to have already fixed the bugs in the first batch of them.

Phil

" I've tried IWB carrying a double stack gun, and just isn't comfortable to me."
I hear you there.