News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomato can

I also have a high wall browning single shot in 30 06 and a Pennsylvania trombone chambered in 30 06.  Always coveted a .44 mag lever action but never pulled the trigger.   (pun intended)

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on October 11, 2014, 10:31:16 AM
I wanted a Winchester 9422 or Winchester 94 in .357 originally.  But when I saw the Henry .22 for the price it was at, I couldn't pass. 

That Winchester 1898 is a heck of a collectors piece if it's in good shape.  Don't see many of that model around anymore.

It's in pretty decent shape.  Been in the family. 

I also have an 1873 US Springfield trap door chambered in .45-70.  It is a beast of a gun.  I love it more than the Winchester 1898. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

The guns some of you own --- darned interesting --- thanks for sharing. 

I have a few firearms that I will keep and pass down --the Savage for sure, the Winchester 94 that my dad bought in 1947 for $57 from Richardson Hardware in Marlinton WV (the first gun he owned – borrowed firearms before), and the prized .22 Stevens falling block single shot that my granddad gave me.  The story on the Stevens .22 is a fascinating one.  My granddad ran a general store, starting in 1923.  Bubblegum came in huge wooden boxes, and then placed in glass jars for by-piece sale.  Often in the wooden boxes there would be a prize.  The Stevens was a prize in one of the bubblegum boxes.  My granddad also had a small farm and used the .22 for many years for farm chores.  I remember the rifle being used for killing the pigs at butchering time.  He was kind enough to award me the firearm before he died.  I killed my first squirrel with the Stevens. 

I have no worries about any sort of gun control.  I enjoy those firearms I own, but I'd be more combative if those "jackbooted government thugs" came for my fishing poles.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

tomato can

I have a 12 gauge double barrel my Grandpa got for delivering a baby.  I think its a stevens but I would have to check in the gun safe.  But then again he delivered over 12K babies in his career.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: tomato can on October 12, 2014, 11:45:58 AM
I have a 12 gauge double barrel my Grandpa got for delivering a baby.  I think its a stevens but I would have to check in the gun safe.  But then again he delivered over 12K babies in his career.

Great stuff, TC!  I enjoy this kind of info.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

tomato can

TF, My grandfathers practice was in Greenville, PA.  He was also a surgeon in WWII worked on Marines in an over run Japanese Bunker on Guadalcanal etc but would never talk about his WWII service just shake his head slowly. But he did a lot.  I of course only have stories of tomfoolery....   

tomato can

Them dang frozen chosin jar heads.  Amazing story.  I've read a couple of books on that specific part of the war and the overall Korean war.

creekfreak

My daddy had 43 firearms in the house growing up and I belonged to the NRA... wow how times have changed for me... but I do say that the Mudman should invite us all up to Bath Co. for a hunt. I'll borrow a .22 and we'll all have a Bath Co. 7 course meal. Squirrel and a 6 pack!
Guinness! Good God!

Transylwader

Quote from: steelrain202 on October 14, 2014, 18:36:49 PM
i have more guns than i know what to do with and i am proud life member of the nra. id be happy to go and visit mudd and bring my .223
Nice shirt bru.

benben reincarnated

I like a good fight. 

You boys be safe this weekend and catch lots of trouts.  Keep the guns away from Tranny though. 

benben reincarnated

Quote from: steelrain202 on October 15, 2014, 05:37:54 AM
i trust him with a gun before id even remotely consider handing one over to  some of the gentry around here

True.   But don't give Tranny tha guns.

Dougfish

If he pulls the trigger like he strip sets....................

Transylwader

Quote from: Dougfish on October 15, 2014, 20:10:55 PM
If he pulls the trigger like he strip sets....................
no trout setters. Fuck em like you mean it -+;

benben reincarnated

If I had a dollar for every time I've seen Mike "air fly fish" in a bar I'd be rich.

Transylwader

Shit got real...can we clean up Ashe Co properly? Can we? Can we?