News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This is an interesting notion I had not considered.  Also included are some thought-provoking tidbits on our American history – true or not, but darned curious. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/10/us/guns-race/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Saw a black guy open carrying a Glock the other day and didn't think twice about it.  Funniest thing, a couple years ago I saw a biker with a 1911 inside his waistband with no holster, cocked and locked.  I felt pretty unsafe for him.

I bought a .22 lever action this week, when we going squirrel hunting?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on October 10, 2014, 13:10:02 PM

A Henry? A Marlin? 

I really like lever actions.  My favorite rifle is my old Savage 99 in .250-3000.

We will go squirrel hunting when you tell me you will eat your kill.  It should be an interesting year for squirrels --- lots of acorns where I hunt.

sanjuanwormhatch

QuoteThese racial fears may seem like they belong to another era, but sometimes the present looks like the past, one historian says.

There was a run on gun stores when President Obama was elected and another when he was re-elected. There was also a run on gun stores just before President Clinton signed the Federal Assault Weapons ban in 1994. One historian, however, says the surges in gun sales that accompanied Obama's elections were reminiscent of another era.

Or, rather than racism, maybe the obama gun rush was instigated by the fear of gun control laws, not that the person just elected was black (or whatever the hail he is).  It is especially ironic that after trying to make the point, the author points out an example of where gun control instigated a gun rush.

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on October 10, 2014, 13:21:37 PM

A Henry? A Marlin? 

I really like lever actions.  My favorite rifle is my old Savage 99 in .250-3000.

We will go squirrel hunting when you tell me you will eat your kill.  It should be an interesting year for squirrels --- lots of acorns where I hunt.

A Henry.  I would eat the squirrel.

bullship

I miss my Henry. Hope to have another someday
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Big J

Mudwall, looked up the Savage 99.  Neat design it being a hammerless lever action gun.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_99.htm

Grannyknot

Saw a black guy open carrying a Glock the other day and didn't think twice about it. 

That was just the new sheriff.

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on October 10, 2014, 14:04:06 PM
Mudwall, looked up the Savage 99.  Neat design it being a hammerless lever action gun.

.....and a rotary magazine, which I like.  It is a classic firearm as far as I am concerned.  I always wanted one, since I was a teen.  A young kid that lived upstream of me on Back Creek had one, and I always admired it.  I finally found one in a gun shop.  It was made in 1956, the year that I was born, and is excellent shape.  I was lucky on the caliber, because I knew nothing about the .250-3000 before I purchased the rifle.  The .250 is a wonderful cartridge.  The rifle has a Lyman Tang sight and I can shoot it OK even with my failing vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.250-3000_Savage

I'd like to have a Henry.  I have enough .22, but I would like to have one of their lever actions in 44 mag.

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on October 10, 2014, 14:20:18 PM
Quote from: Big J on October 10, 2014, 14:04:06 PM

.....and a rotary magazine, which I like.  It is a classic firearm as far as I am concerned.  I always wanted one, since I was a teen.  A young kid that lived upstream of me on Back Creek had one, and I always admired it.  I finally found one in a gun shop.  It was made in 1956, the year that I was born, and is excellent shape.  I was lucky on the caliber, because I knew nothing about the .250-3000 before I purchased the rifle.  The .250 is a wonderful cartridge.  The rifle has a Lyman Tang sight and I can shoot it OK even with my failing vision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.250-3000_Savage

I'd like to have a Henry.  I have enough .22, but I would like to have one of their lever actions in 44 mag.

Guy I bought the .22 Henry from also had a .44 Henry.  I think he said he was going to give it to his brother in law though.  I won't shoot the .44 lever action enough to justify buying one. 

How hard is it to find the .250-3000 savage?  I figure it is a difficult round to find.

flatlander

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on October 10, 2014, 13:31:56 PM
There was a run on gun stores when President Obama was elected and another when he was re-elected. There was also a run on gun stores just before President Clinton signed the Federal Assault Weapons ban in 1994. One historian, however, says the surges in gun sales that accompanied Obama's elections were reminiscent of another era.

This.

After the shooting in Connecticut, I marched down to the Sheriff's office and got 3 pistol permits.  I thought there was a good chance Obama was going to ram gun legislation through Congress, and if I wanted a pistol then I better go ahead and get it.   I was surprised that I could obtain the permits the same day I applied for them.  I thought there was waiting period...apparently not, because within 30 minutes I walked out of the Sheriff's office with the permits.  I went straight to Gander Mountain and bought a .40 S&W.  I can't hit the side of a barn with it.  It's locked in a gun cabinet  behind a dead-bolted closet door. 

I will probably buy an AR-15, too...before the race riots happen :P

Michael Toris

Dad bought an old (pre-64) winchester 30/30 last year. Beautiful little feller

tomato can

Big Mud I have a .300 savage lever with the brass round counter. 

benben reincarnated

I gots an 1898 Winchester lever action .32-20.  Octagon barrel.  Fun as hell to shoot.

Big J

I wanted a Winchester 9422 or Winchester 94 in .357 originally.  But when I saw the Henry .22 for the price it was at, I couldn't pass. 

That Winchester 1898 is a heck of a collectors piece if it's in good shape.  Don't see many of that model around anymore.