News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Trip report from a friend

Started by Onslow, September 29, 2014, 19:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

I've been researching the entirety of the Yadkin/Pee Dee basin for quite some time being that it is one of the most prominent watersheds in NC.  I've read claims by some biologists that largemouth bass were not common in the large rivers of central NC which begged the question, what in the heck was in these rivers prior to over-exploitation during the 1800s, pollution, and all of those massive hydro dams.  Based on what I've read in US government docs regarding harvests, Shad and Stripers were the deal, all the way up to Shoals and beyond prior to being depleted.  Due to the massive rapids that would probably impede most fish in the vicinity of Falls and Badin Lake, and to a lesser extent Blewitt Falls, I thought the Shad and Stripers would be resident and not migratory.

I had planned on hitting this river with my bud Jeff Joyce aka Fish Whisperer, but work has kept me away from the water.  I was supposed to go on the exploratory trip but could not make it happen.  The link is the TR that took place at the Pee Dee from Rt. 74 to the recently constructed boat ramp http://www.ncwildlife.org/News/NewsArticle/tabid/416/indexID/9471/Default.aspx  This is the first TR on this section that is not related exclusively to catfishing....I actually plan to target blues and channels there next year with the flyrod.

Hope you all enjoy the TR  http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/66451-Pee-Dee-Big-Adventure

BTW, Duke has been making an effort to keep flows at 1800 cfs on Summer weekends.  High flows on the Rocky in the last two Summers have complicated things, thus many weekend releases from Blewitt were kinda high.  1800-2800 is what is needed for a quiet float, not the 9000 cfs release

Other stats.  Streambed gradient is 2-3 fpm and the drainage size is about 8000 sq. miles.  This is very similar to the Roanoke from Rt. 48 downstream to Weldon.

Anyone have a hard-on for Big Mouth Buffalo?

Transylwader

Pick me, pick me. I get a hard-on for big girlsfish