iPhone 6 case? (and yes, I expect to catch shit for this post...)

Started by troutboy_II, September 16, 2014, 16:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Toris

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on September 18, 2014, 07:42:03 AM
I'm willing to venture outside of windows.  Compatibility (especially on the word processor) will be relatively important though.
Have you used OpenOffice before?

Bum purchased a badass hp laptop without an operating system for practically pennies on the dollar. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS along with a few other goodies and so far he is doing well with it.

If you are interested, I will go on. 

Sidenote: I do not use a single Microsoft product either at home or at work. I have found that 99% of the time I do not have any issues and that 1% can easily be solved with some googling.

Onslow

Looked into this Linux ubuntu operating system a few years back but only had one shitty PC to waste it on.  Kinda regret not giving it a whirl.

Woolly Bugger

I read that it is (nearly) impossible to install on windows 8 machines
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Michael Toris

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 18, 2014, 19:44:42 PM
I read that it is (nearly) impossible to install on windows 8 machines
Microsoft does not want you using anything but their stuff, but there is usually a way around it.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on September 18, 2014, 19:36:52 PM
Looked into this Linux ubuntu operating system a few years back but only had one shitty PC to waste it on.  Kinda regret not giving it a whirl.
Shitty pc's is where linux shines. It takes very little overhead resources and can make an old pc fly. I've been running it for over 5 years now and it has completely replaced windows in every way and more. It is truly amazing what you can do for free.

benben reincarnated

RiverbumCO

Linux would be cooler if you are smarter than me.  I have to rely on The Professor to fix my goofs.  Not that I would fair any better with Windows, computers just orange my thing. 
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Michael Toris

When you take the leap into the Linux world, you have to change how you look at computing. It makes learn how the computer actually works.

Plus,  getting a virus on Linux is sort of a joke. Yes they exist, but you will almost have to try to get one and even then you will probably be unsuccessful

Native Fisher

Quote from: wildmttrout on September 18, 2014, 22:16:42 PM
When you take the leap into the Linux world, you have to change how you look at computing. It makes learn how the computer actually works.

Plus,  getting a virus on Linux is sort of a joke. Yes they exist, but you will almost have to try to get one and even then you will probably be unsuccessful

Saying/implying Linux is more secure than windows is just not true.  All Linux variants have security holes that have to be patched regularly just like the windows and Apple OS's.   Linux is based on Unix which was the first hacked OS. Since there are so many more windows pcs operated by people who do not protect them, the deviants of the world tend to target that OS more.  Bigger reward for less effort. 

Michael Toris

Quote from: Native Fisher on September 19, 2014, 07:29:49 AM

Saying/implying Linux is more secure than windows is just not true.  All Linux variants have security holes that have to be patched regularly just like the windows and Apple OS's.   Linux is based on Unix which was the first hacked OS. Since there are so many more windows pcs operated by people who do not protect them, the deviants of the world tend to target that OS more.  Bigger reward for less effort.

Yes, linux is Unix based and yes it is hackable; however the chances are almost nil. A few things contribute to this:

1. The Linux kernel needs a root user to make any major changes to the system. To gain root access, one needs the root password. If the root account has not been setup, then you will not be able to gain access. Many systems use sudo rather than su for commands which is considered to be safer as it only allows root access for that specific command. This does mean if someone was able to break through the firewall in some way, he or she could make these changes if they knew the sudo password. Thus, good passwords and a good firewall really help here. Things such as rootkits do exist, but......

2. Linux is open source and free. Thus, the user base contributes back to the project as a whole. These guys and gals are checking for holes and bugs because they want to. Wanting to do something usually results in a better outcome than being paid to do something. Plus,  change to the kernel or gui must go through many major people prior to be accepted. Prevents one person from engineering a backdoor for themselves.

3. Yes the user base is smaller than Windows in the pc world; however, over 65% of the Internet is ran off of the Apache Server which is a Linux based system. Also, 9 out of 10 of the world's fastest supercomputers run the Linux kernel. Linux owns real computing.

I hope I didn't just insult you as I do not know your background; however,  this reply was geared more towards the topic rather than you specifically.

Grannyknot

Bombproof & Zack Morris approved.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

rbphoto

Point me toward some good photo editing work that can be done on Linux and I'll convert one of my PC's over to test.

Otherwise, I have too much invested in photographic storage and software . . .
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Native Fisher

Quote from: wildmttrout on September 19, 2014, 07:44:35 AM
I hope I didn't just insult you as I do not know your background; however,  this reply was geared more towards the topic rather than you specifically.

Not insulted, but you may need to come down off your Linux high.

Yes these people say Apache has a 60% market share. http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/ws-apache/all/all
But these people say 38%.http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/04/02/april-2014-web-server-survey.html

My main point is this, all OS's can be compromised if left unpatched and unprotected.   

benben reincarnated

Quote from: wildmttrout on September 19, 2014, 07:44:35 AM
Quote from: Native Fisher on September 19, 2014, 07:29:49 AM

Yes, linux is Unix based and yes it is hackable; however the chances are almost nil. A few things contribute to this:

1. The Linux kernel needs a root user to make any major changes to the system. To gain root access, one needs the root password. If the root account has not been setup, then you will not be able to gain access. Many systems use sudo rather than su for commands which is considered to be safer as it only allows root access for that specific command. This does mean if someone was able to break through the firewall in some way, he or she could make these changes if they knew the sudo password. Thus, good passwords and a good firewall really help here. Things such as rootkits do exist, but......

2. Linux is open source and free. Thus, the user base contributes back to the project as a whole. These guys and gals are checking for holes and bugs because they want to. Wanting to do something usually results in a better outcome than being paid to do something. Plus,  change to the kernel or gui must go through many major people prior to be accepted. Prevents one person from engineering a backdoor for themselves.

3. Yes the user base is smaller than Windows in the pc world; however, over 65% of the Internet is ran off of the Apache Server which is a Linux based system. Also, 9 out of 10 of the world's fastest supercomputers run the Linux kernel. Linux owns real computing.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Michael Toris

Quote from: rbphoto on September 19, 2014, 07:57:07 AM
Point me toward some good photo editing work that can be done on Linux and I'll convert one of my PC's over to test.

Otherwise, I have too much invested in photographic storage and software . . .
Darktable, Rawtheapee, Gimp