News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bucketmouth rapage.

Started by Onslow, August 17, 2014, 10:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

This day was a day that would make any father smile. 

Took my boy fishing at a Carolina Slate Belt river where it was though we could score big.  It involved paddling and fishing upstream and pulling our boats up rapids, some dropping as much as 6' over ragged ledges.  I had been wanting to hit this section of river for some time but not with small fry tagging along.   I tried to take my son trouting last year but he was freaked out by the fast water.  This year, things are different.  He pulled his kayak up most of the rapids without complaint or incident. 

Action was ok for the first half of the day but as we approached our destination, the afternoon bite coincided nicely making for a very special afternoon.  Caleb(son) caught 4 nice bass and to crappie in the matter of 45 minutes.  Jim managed to land about 18 bass as well as just about every species of sunfish known to man.  I caught about a dozen bass, two of which were over 16. 

My son wanted to run the big rapid.  I set for a rescue but none was needed.  Finished of the day by stopping by the golden arches and snarffling down some burgers and Mcflurry.  Caleb slept till 10 this morning.  Poor kid was wore out after yesterday's slog.

Those fathers amongst us who are currently being deprived of wankins due to more pressing responsibilities, there is hope ahead.  I could probably take my 12 year old to 75 percent of the places I go.  What a difference a year makes!

Yes, Jim is a spin dude.  Just converted him to river LMB.  He used to be a ghey assed smallie angler.  Will convert him to flyfishing shortly.

Easy with the backcasts.

Although victories were achieved, they came at a price.  Jim broke a rod and I soaked another pricey smartphone b';  What makes me hurt the worst are the lost pics.  I had about 10 pics of many bent rods, smiles, and achievements.  Will be purchasing a WP cam shortly.  Suggestions are welcome.

NCsporksman

that's primo parenting Phal. I feel your pain on the phone, I dropped my girl's into LK Norman last year chock full of baby pics, still getting shitted on for that p;-

DRIFTS

Not bad...kid are cool, if'n you can get them off the computer
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Dougfish

'c;
Very good action. Love to see the kids out there!

Olympus TG series is hard to beat. More than a few of us have the TG-1. Newest is TG-3.

bmadd

That's good stuff. Way to stick with the kid and letting him try the rapids.  'c;

sanjuanwormhatch

I've always told myself the whitewater/fishing hybrid is probably a good way to keep a child interested.  Great work.

Transylwader

Dad n kid hardcore duo. I hope that when I have kids someday that they flyfish. Anything less and I will send their sorry asses to live with Omie in England and work in the coal mines.

Woolly Bugger

Well played!

Go with the olympus TG-3

Very rugged and takes decent pictures too

After loosing two spendy cameras to the water I went waterproof and never looked back!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!