News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Debordieu 2014

Started by flatlander, August 11, 2014, 16:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

I went to the beach and caught an assload of redfish.  I don't have any good pictures...so fuck off!

flatlander

Note to self:  Cameras kept in 70 degree rooms overnight don't do well when introduced to 100% humidity environments b';

Family beach vacation to SC.  Hired this guy for a morning.  I had low expectations...but he seemed to know his shit.  Damn entertaining too...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The date I picked lent itself to low tide options only.  After 3 days of rain, Winyah Bay was a muddy mess.  With no visibility, our best option was up in the creeks where the fish had their backs out of the water waiting for the tide to come in.

The ride in was a white-knuckled adventure.  I wish I had filmed it, but I was too busy holding on with both hands to pick up a camera.  I'm pretty sure had there been a kayaker up that creek, we would have had a Tony Stewart situation on our hands.

We pushed up as far as the skiff would go and wound up here:

Which turned out to be a good bet, because the creek was loaded with these:

...which were a hell of a lot of fun on a 6 wt.

So, armed with a little knowledge (and the guide's flies), I left the family in bed and snuck off on my own for a few hours on a falling tide.  I found a nice school, but couldn't get the bastards to eat: 

Maybe next year:

benben reincarnated

Nice chit Malcolm. 

That looks like a handful on the 6 wt.   /'/

RiverbumCO

This Winyah Bay has me intrigued.  45 min from the 'rents place in Myrtle, harbors reds and looks very doable in me micro when she done.

Nice all around, didnt realize Flip Pallot guided that far north, though.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

flatlander

Quote from: RiverbumCO on August 12, 2014, 09:30:39 AM
This Winyah Bay has me intrigued.  45 min from the 'rents place in Myrtle, harbors reds and looks very doable in me micro when she done.

Nice all around, didnt realize Flip Pallot guided that far north, though.

Bum,
Your boat would be perfect for the area.  However, if you pick the same creek that this guy plans to fish...you are a dead man.  You'll never get out of his way in time...

Big J

RiverbumCO

Might be me you gotta watch out for.

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

flatlander

That's awesome! 

My money says the skiff cuts your gheenoe in half...bring your water wings.

Beetle

Transylwader

Winyah Bay is a dangerous as fuck place on a small craft. I have been out there on a Hells Bay 16' and had a fucking tanker almost take us out! Creeks in there are tits up ballistic, much prefer Rodanthe, but hey, I'm partial to SC drums
Malcolm, you arsy bastard! A 6wt. I see you trout setting them drums. Shoulda broken you off! I'm gonna be super cocky and take a 4wt Helios 2 armed with 6wt line and 12lb leader to one of those chumps and see how that works out.

I am headed down tomorrow (Pawleys), so git some /'/

flatlander

Quote from: Transylwader on August 12, 2014, 10:13:04 AM

Malcolm, you arsy bastard! A 6wt. I see you trout setting them drums. Shoulda broken you off!

A salty 6 wt makes for big fun on fish up to 8 lbs.  I've caught early fall albies on it at the Cape...big fun.  Plan on taking it bone fishing this November.  If the wind lays down, gonna see how it does on a 5 lb. bone.

Michael Toris

Dougfish

Big fun at Debbie Do!
Nice, Malcolm.  'c;

tasbury

Captain Tommy is a really good guide. I have only been out with him once and loved it. Put 20 redfish into the boat and lost some as well. He will fish as long as possible. We were dragging the propeller all the way out ;D

flatlander

He is a good guide.  I say I had low expectations when I signed on because, not being familiar with the program, I thought he might be  just a good ol' boy with a skiff who really didn't know jack about fly fishing.  He exceeded my expectations.  He guides in the Keys, and we talked about getting together down there sometime.  He was knowledgeable and a whole lot of fun.  Hard to ask for anything more.

Captain Tommy Scarborough - Carolina Coastal Adventures for anyone interested.