News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Finally got some salt

Started by ptfranze, July 09, 2014, 21:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptfranze

Been gearing up and reading a lot on the salt in the hopes of getting my first salt water fish on the fly.  Had some chances last year at Pawleys Island with my dad we had reds chasing bait and hitting us in the legs but no go on the fly.  Had to go back to the drawing board.

My wife and I planned a trip this summer to visit my Grandmother in Venice Fl for 4 days and then drive up to Pawleys Island to spend 6 days with my family.  A good vacation made better only with fishing. 

First day went to a beach and found some nice mangroves to explore.  It was high tide so I had to fish from the bridge and down on some rocks beside the bridge.  Showed up at high tide and heard fish slamming the bridge underneath as they chased bait.  Cast up the mangroves twice, then across the incoming tide 3 strips and BOOM!  Fish on!  and first one in the salt!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Quickly realized I had no where to land the fish on this side, had to walk across the bridge giving the fish a little slack so I could move over.  Haven't been that nervous about losing a fish ever.  Made it over and down onto the rocks and was able to land my first snook.

Fished for another hour keep seeing fish busting on bait but no more takers, but couldn't care less I was on cloud 9 after that fish.  Decided then I would go back every morning around high tide., which was fluctuating between 8-9 am

Went the next 2 days and caught 3 more.

Only fished from the rocks at this point to be able to cast under the bride.

2nd day 2nd fish- this fish ran up into the mangroves and got tangled- had to wade in to untangle him

Same day hooked into a much bigger fish fought him for a second and it popped my 12lb tippet like it was nothing.  The tippet was smooth on the end so I figured it just popped but it easily could have been cut on an oyster.

Caught one more and my wife took the picture from above.

3rd morning and last day- another snook

Goodbye snook and goodbye Florida

On the way out of Florida and when I finished fishing everyday my wife and I went to an authentic French bakery, it was amazing and a good bribe to keep my photographer coming out with me. 

Got to Pawleys Island after a long 11 hour drive in the rain.  Fished with my dad, john and wife a few different times.  Tried the same tidal creek we had found the reds in last year and found nothing but small flounder.  But again I was happy another new salt water species on the fly.

Explored a few other places and didn't have a whole lot of luck.  Last morning my dad wife and I went out to Huntington Beach State Park to fish from the Jetty, tossed around some then the blues starting blitzing.  Only problem was the wind was right in our face and it was hard to get the fly out far enough.  Was able to pick one up from the jetty.

Had a couple cool shots where multiple blues were chasing the fly but I was too excited to realized I needed to strip slower and they never caught up to it, but awesome to see none the less.  Missed a couple more and had two flies completely bitten off.

After a while didn't see the blues and we started our mile or so walk back to the car.  While walking we could see them down the beach crushing bait in the surf, I told my dad if they start breaking in front of us I was dropping everything and heading out.  Lucky enough a few more steps and there they were, so I ran out into the surf and had another bite off.  Put a new fly on and landed a second blue for the day.  I was happy and the blitzing blues moved out of the surf and too deep so we headed back.  Don't have any pictures of this my dad has a few on his camera and phone though. 

All in all great trip getting to spend time with family and landing my first salt water fish on the fly and ending up with 3 new species on the fly. 

** Sorry for the bad Iphone pics.

RiverbumCO

I was all in before the glove showed up.  Sigh for saltlifebro.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Jfey

Good stuff.  Jealous of the snook.   I was fishing on the other side of that inlet when I was there a few weeks ago.  'c;

Yup, going fishing

ptfranze

The glove was there for two reasons 1) I have them because I am a ginger and burn in like 2 seconds...2) had that one on because the first day I sliced open my finger while I keep stripping line over it because the salt water- so it was just there to protect the cut

Michael Toris

bmadd

Dougfish

Good times.
And I'll be doing gloves, too.  'c;

Big J

I agree with RiverbumCO.  Wimps.  A little bit of electrical tape on the stripping finger at most.  Electrical tape is manly and gives the impression that you do manly things, like electrical work.  Gloves suggest you are a women, and do womanly things.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: Big J on July 10, 2014, 06:37:15 AM
I agree with RiverbumCO.  Wimps.  A little bit of electrical tape on the stripping finger at most.  Electrical tape is manly and gives the impression that you do manly things, like electrical work.  Gloves suggest you are a women, and do womanly things.

What if the gloves are made from kangaroo though?

http://www.orvis.com/p/kangaroo-upland-glove/9g5x

The Dude

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

flatlander

OldDominionAngler

Dougfish

Don't even try to be bad ass, Mr. My Wife Picks Out My Clothes.

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on July 10, 2014, 08:38:28 AM

;D Quit derailing his thread.

RiverbumCO

Quote from: Dougfish on July 10, 2014, 08:38:28 AM

I know you'uns recently bashed me because apparently im weird, but this is pretty funny.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.