Smith River Annual Cleanup

Started by Dougfish, July 09, 2014, 06:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Smith River TU is calling on all members, fishermen and civic minded volunteers to help with our annual Smith River Cleanup on Saturday, July 19, 2014. We will meet at 8:30 am at the US Army Corps of Engineers (COE) picnic area just inside the gate at the base of the dam on the Franklin County side of the river. Turn off Hwy 624 onto Hwy 727 which follows the river back to the bottom of the dam. We will have "SRTU River Clean Up" directional signs at major road junctions. Participants should to bring gloves, hats, sunscreen and a canoe or kayak (if you have one).  We will provide water and plastic bags. Wear waders if you are willing to get in the water. We plan to concentrate our efforts from Town Creek upstream to the dam to include a road side cleanup of Hwy 727. If we have sufficient turn out we will also clean downstream to the end of the field behind the Mirror Factory. All trash will be consolidated for eventual pick up at the road junction of Hwy 624 & Hwy 727 near the Philpott Bridge.

The cleanup with be over at 1:00 pm. Lunch will be provided by SRTU at the COE picnic area at the base of dam once everyone is accounted for. Bring your rod if you want to go fishing afterwards.

Al

Weather is going to be in low to mid 80's so you won't break a sweat as you help make the Smith a pleasant place to fish. Great opportunity to meet and network with a Smith River Regular who may share a tip or two.  Don't forget your rod so you can go fishing afterwards.

Al

We did it! Here is how it went down ........................................

A dozen or so Smith River Trout Unlimited (SRTU) members, augmented by volunteers and lovers of the river from as far away as Fredericksburg VA assembled at the base of Philpott Dam for our annual river clean up. This year we cleaned the river downstream of the dam to the bottom of the large field behind the Mirror Factory. We included the road which runs along the river and all obvious fisherman trails going down to the water. It still amazes us how someone can carry it in full but can't carry it out empty. Thankfully clean up's by SRTU and other like minded organizations have kept "No Trespassing" signs to a minimum.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Several of the "Smith River Regulars" arrived early to set up our base area and greet those from out of town.

A light rain was falling when we kicked things off at 8:30 am but that did not deter the enthusiasm and camaraderie as many don waders.

Others fan out along the road and well know fishermen paths. We also had a designated truck which picked up full bags and served as resupply point for fresh bags and cold water.

At one o'clock everyone reassembled  at the base of the dam for hamburgers and hot dogs. Quick - someone call the fire department!

Good food, tall tales and even some discussion about how we could once again make the Smith a "destination trout fishery"  -  No easy solutions but when a group of like minded folks such as this get together and put "sweat equity" into a river and region we are doing more than talk about it.

The leadership of SRTU wants to thank everyone who came out for our clean up -  a few left before the obligatory photo and one mystery member came a few days early for pre-cleaning. Thank you all. We helped the river and  also received a big "thumbs up" from the folks who live along the road going to the dam and the owners of the fields behind the Mirror Factory.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Many thanks, guys and gals!!! 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Sleepytrout

Awesome! Really makes me miss that river to see those pics!
If fishing is religion, then flyfishing is high church.-- Tom Brokaw