News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SoHo Generation and Wading?

Started by jwgnc, May 18, 2009, 15:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwgnc

I'm learning to understand the generation schedule for the So Ho and how it affects wade fishing.  I just called the shop (always helpful) and they said that it is currently unfishable except by boat.  Average Hourly Discharge is 2713 at 3pm 

I see that one generator is predicted to be running tomorrow from 9am to 10pm, but the Daily Average Outflow is expected to be only 1400 - which is lower than today which also has one generator running.

Is Average Hourly Discharge the same as Daily Average Outflow (except that the former is actual, the latter is predicted)?

What numbers should a wade fiusher be looking at ?

Thanks
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

flatlander

The S Holston only has one generator.  If it's running, you don't want to be in the river--with one exception.  If they pulse for one hour, you can generally wade the pulse in many spots.  That said, always have your egress planned when the water comes  up because TVA often changes its mind. 

Average hourly discharge is exactly that...what the turbines are releasing over the hour.  Average daily outlflow measures outflow over the entire 24 hour period.

The lake is currently above flood pool, so TVA is going to run water to get the lake back into its acceptable range.

As far as an acceptable cfs range for wading...you want something in the 100 cfs range--which means the generator is off.

One last thing.  You can also plan your day around the water if you know how long it takes to travel downstream.  If they turn on tomorrow at 9:00 am, you could gain another 4 to 4 1/2 hours  on lower parts of the river before the water would run you off.  Just be careful and keep an eye on your water levels...it comes up fast. 0--0

jwgnc

Thanks - Maybe I'll head another direction.  I want to flaot dry flies - not my hat.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

9ft4wt

Heading to the Soho next week and I need a refresher on flowtimes

Lets say they start generating at 9 a.m., can someone fill in the times it takes the current
to reach:

The powerline/cul desac: (Seems it was an hour, but not sure)

Hickory Tree bridge (90 minutes?)

The island house (3 hours?)

Rock hold (4 hours?)

We will be keeping an eye on the flow but it would be helpful to know if those times are fairly accurate.

thanks

9ft4wt

Stuart R.

That is a good "guess" there 9ft4wt but it can vary depending on other things. Say if they ran at 4am then are going to start at noon. You will get it alot faster than if the last gen was at midnight or say 10pn last night. Get it? Takes more of the initial water to fill the wier pool then to start poring over to get to you downstream. Please be careful, playing the water there can mean death. I have been caught not paying attention it isn't fun. I remember one summer a great sulpher hatch happening. They were supposed to start late in the day I saw it coming but stupidity took over and I thought well finish this drift. I just about didn't get out thank God I was in a fairly easy to wade spot that lead me to the right bank and didn't make me walk around to long way. And as for the 1hr pulse thing, 90percent of the time that is true. But not too long ago I was put to the bank for a bit by one and was in an easy to wade spot. I think it was a good example of being close to a previous gen and a good strong pulse. So if you are going to stay in during a pulse please have an escape route in your head and be get you a water maker and watch it. Not a bad idea to watch all the time too TVA will trick you sometimes. I got caught like that once too, I saw it but the 2 older gents below me didn't till I came running to them. They just about didn't get out. TVA cut on @ 12 instead of their advertised 1pm. Pulled a fast one. I don't mean to scare people but respect that river and have fun.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

cmiller51h

Yep, TVA can and does change it's mind. I was on the Watugua right after the water dropped last year up in Bee Cliff canyon, and I just got stettled in fishing when one of the guys I was fishing with said " It looks like the water is comong back up!" It had'nt been 30 minutes! That's a VERY hard place to get out of when the waters up! We just about did'nt make it. Yes, please be careful and watch the water at ALL times. As said before, the water level in all of the lakes are above normal levels and they will be gernerating more naw until it comes down. With all of this rain, who knows when that will be. It seems like we are either feast or famine with the water levels.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

natureboy

Old thread, but good info.  Was planning to hit the river after a meeting in Bristol tomorrow...hoping to fish from 4-dark, planned generation from noon-8.  I gather that I'm pretty much screwed.  Correct?

http://www.tva.gov/lakes/shh_r.htm

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rod Champion

The rain has not come above the lake where needed. So TVA will not be running a lot til the lake gets more water.
Looks like 3-4 hours generation on Monday. That basically means all day wading if you fish down low , then jump back up high.
Lake is still 1 1/2 feet below full pond. Just want TVA to run enough to keep water cool, which the 2-3 hour generation does.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

Big J

Quote from: Rod Champion on July 12, 2014, 09:26:57 AM
The rain has not come above the lake where needed. So TVA will not be running a lot til the lake gets more water.
Looks like 3-4 hours generation on Monday. That basically means all day wading if you fish down low , then jump back up high.
Lake is still 1 1/2 feet below full pond. Just want TVA to run enough to keep water cool, which the 2-3 hour generation does.

How do you think the bug life has been affected by the generation work?  Heard something about the pike (maybe pickerel) being bad in the soho this year due to warmer temps. Any of this true?

Rod Champion

Big J- changing the generation around seems to affect the hatch. They will be back tomorrow on high water.
Have not heard one word about pickerel here. That couple of hours of generation keeps the river plenty cool.
TWRA Biologist Jim Habera put in several temperature monitoring stations in June when there was no generation. Water temps did spike in the 70's when there was no generation down low. But as soon as the 2-3 hour generation began, the water went 50's and
low 60's at their highest. TVA listened to Jim's suggestions as to what to do.
I will ask about Pike or pickerel.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822