News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Blue Side of the Mountain

Started by natureboy, June 23, 2014, 16:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natureboy

I used to hit the park every couple weeks, but since moving south it's more like a once a year run.  So that means I gotta make it count...  Rolled out of the burg before 3 which put us in camp just in time for the evening hatch, angry skies had other ideas, so dinner and booze it was.  We were headed for the stream by 7:30 or so the next morning, split up to hit different stretches, I headed for my favorite run.  A pretty nondescript area at first glance, but I've never seen another fisherman there, the fish are big, and it has some awesome water.  Anyway, here are the goods:

A little pick-me-up in the AM.

The water temp was +-55 in the mornings, so the fish were in prime condition which lead to many pictures that look like this.

Some foam for the purists.

A little pick-me-up in the PM.

Skeleton.

Obligatory.

Midge mayhem.

After an early dinner I hit the upper reaches of the creek, unfortunately left the camera behind.  Tons of bugs, lots of fish on the smaller side.  I was fishing two dries at one point, had two fish strike at the same time - caught neither.  'c;  The section I fished was really tight, with lots of new growth since the hemlocks were decimated, the hemlock deadfall made for a great obstacle course run. Also had an encounter with a huge bear on the walk back at dark, pretty cool, slight pucker factor, disappointed I didn't have my camera... -0-

Sunday broke cool and clear, we fished on the way out, low on the creek.  After sticking two or three nice fish, got high-holed...  b'; I caught a few more fish through a big boulder garden before walking on up to talk to the other fisherman, said he had been on the creek very early, perhaps I was the high-holer...   :embarassed: Oh well, we went our separate ways, plenty fish for us all.  I walked back downstream to fish for few more minutes before it was time to hit the road.

Poke

Grass

Last fish, best of the weekend.

Maybe I should go back more than once a year... 0:0

Dougfish

Very nice. And productive.  'c;

And I'm glad you did not get a close up of the remains. I'm squeamish.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

consumnfire1229

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

OldDominionAngler

What?  I've heard your cant find solitude in the park this time of year. :P

Good stuff JFey natureboy.

AwesomeBillFrmDawsonville

Big J

Nice report.  I really need to make it up there more myself.  How were the water levels?

natureboy

Quote from: Big J on June 24, 2014, 07:02:44 AM
Nice report.  I really need to make it up there more myself.  How were the water levels?

Water levels were pretty good, but the area got hit with some storms the couple days previous, so I'm sure that gave it a bump.

Trout Chaser

Well played!!  The storms seem to be keeping the H2O levels a little cooler.  My wife and son encountered a cub the other day up there on a hike got a little nervous not seeing mama so decided to head back out.  Give me a shout the next time you head this way.

TC

sanjuanwormhatch

I drank about 12 of those starbucks things one wknd on the SoHo.  Needles to say, I didn't sleep much.