Pipeline

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, June 19, 2014, 08:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

Quote from: AKAaron on September 08, 2014, 18:19:14 PM

Quote from: Flatlander on September 08, 2014, 17:48:13 PM
Quote from: snagaluffaguss on September 07, 2014, 21:59:00 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 06, 2014, 09:17:19 AM
people want cheap energy and don't want to spend $30 to $70k to solar power their own home

Be nice if the gubment would subsidize that like they do the energy companies. Tie all that shit back into the grid and be done with the wars and pollution.

They build roads and handout corporate welfare checks.  What's so hard about giving me and anyone else a check or full refund for solar panels on the house that tie back to the grid.

Roofs are lots of wasted space

Doesn't the government offer tax incentives on solar installations?

State governments do. I don't think the Feds do, that's why some states like CA & NC are good markets for solar while others aren't. Do both the Feds and state governments give subsidies to oil and gas?

I thought the Federal Government is offering a 30% tax credit toward solar installations through the end of 2016. 

Woolly Bugger

Yeah there is a tax credit but a solar system that cost 40k will only eliminate 66% of your power bill and take 25 years to get a return on your investment

I say go for it
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 09, 2014, 16:42:57 PM
Yeah there is a tax credit but a solar system that cost 40k will only eliminate 66% of your power bill and take 25 years to get a return on your investment

I say go for it

Perfectly fine with Duke Power and Piedmont Natural Gas...thanks.

Big J

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/article_9732d951-681c-5309-9434-7d57ede3d901.html

Pipeline survey was approved.  Looks like forward progress to me.

The U.S. Forest Service will allow Dominion Transmission Inc. to survey a path for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline through the George Washington National Forest in Highland and Augusta counties.

The Forest Service said Tuesday that it will issue a temporary special-use permit to allow surveying along 12.6 miles of the forest, but made clear the decision does not represent approval of the $5 billion, 550-mile pipeline proposed from West Virginia to southeastern Virginia and North Carolina.

"It is important to remember that allowing these survey activities does not mean we are allowing the construction of a pipeline," Forest Supervisor Tom Speaks said in a written statement.

The Dude

I know someone who surfed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on July 21, 2017, 12:08:51 PM
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/regulators-release-environmental-assessment-of-atlantic-coast-pipeline/article_aa2af2be-6e22-11e7-91bc-d7da543fb651.html

For everyone keeping up with the pipeline.

"..........most of environmental impacts could be reduced to 'less-than-significant' levels."

Total bullshit!  It is impossible to know this without completing the project.  And why would they say "most"?  All it would take is one impact to screw the pooch. 

And who in their right mind would trust these four?  < Richmond-based Dominion Energy, Duke Energy, Piedmont Natural Gas, and Southern Company Gas>
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 21, 2017, 13:59:18 PM
Quote from: Big J on July 21, 2017, 12:08:51 PM
http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/regulators-release-environmental-assessment-of-atlantic-coast-pipeline/article_aa2af2be-6e22-11e7-91bc-d7da543fb651.html

For everyone keeping up with the pipeline.

"..........most of environmental impacts could be reduced to 'less-than-significant' levels."

Total bullshit!  It is impossible to know this without completing the project.  And why would they say "most"?  All it would take is one impact to screw the pooch. 

And who in their right mind would trust these four?  < Richmond-based Dominion Energy, Duke Energy, Piedmont Natural Gas, and Southern Company Gas>

Goes right over Back Creek and Jackson River. . . . . . probably at one of the worst possible spots for Back Creek, upstream a little ways from the reservoirs

Aka

Quote from: The Dude on July 21, 2017, 13:06:53 PM

Hahahaha

The rest of you pack up your shit and go home, that right there wins the interwebs for today.

Al

Damned if we do and damned if we don't. We are an energy driven economy and without it we will not grow or even exist. Think of the last time the electricity was off for a significant time - now think of it if you own a business or manufacturing facility.

I'm all for wind and solar but we are not there yet to the point where it can make a significant dent in fossil fuels. Here in eastern NC where I live we've had a recent surge of solar farms. These are 500 to 1000 acre farmers fields that have been subleased to solar projects. When I see them I have several questions or observations:

1) The land is now off limits to agricultural production so unless someone else is picking the slack the price of food goes up.

2) I assume those bright shiny panels accumulate grime and dust overtime (think of your automobile during pollen time) - is there a maintenance process where someone goes in at least yearly to clean and polish them?

3) I also assume the panels and support system have a "shelf life" - does the utility provider post  a bond that assures they will clean up the field once it has gone beyond it's expiration date or do they declare bankruptcy and stick the landowner with the clean up?

OK, back to the gas pipeline. One of the places I hunt has a gas pipeline running through it -  the gas company comes in every couple years to trim the sides . Last year they brought  a huge crew in with specialized equipment to check for leaks. They found a trouble spot right in the middle of a swamp - they brought in equipment to fix it - they also coordinated with the owner about what they were doing and even cut some roads and access points for the owner while they had their heavy equipment in there.  - That gas line right-of-way is a great spot for several deer stands :D.

ryguy

Al, no experience with the gas pipelines but do have a guy I work with involved in solar.  In his neighbors case, the power company leases the land for 10 years, and at the end of that term they remove all equipment.  For the landowner, they get money off the lease, and in this case the landowner leased forested land to the company so they cleared everything on their dime.  Not sure if this is how they all are, but it's an interesting arrangement.  Works out well for the landowner in this case.

driver

There is a group that has done the research. And they believe that if the government would back it, we could be 90% relying on renewable energy in 50 years. But since the oil and gas companies are paying for the politicians campaigns, it's unlikely it will happen.

Imagine the jobs it would create to build that infrastructure.

tomato can

Quote from: Aka on July 21, 2017, 16:20:10 PM
Quote from: The Dude on July 21, 2017, 13:06:53 PM

Hahahaha

The rest of you pack up your shit and go home, that right there wins the interwebs for today.

I was stationed right down the road from Pipeline, Sunset, Waimai Bay.  That stuff in the winter was no joke.  My roommate would tear it up but it was a bit much for me.  I always liked ones, twos, threes, tennis courts and Ala Moana as well as the breaks on base.  That was about 30 years ago about to the day!

Michael Toris

Quote from: driver on July 21, 2017, 21:25:35 PM
There is a group that has done the research. And they believe that if the government would back it, we could be 90% relying on renewable energy in 50 years. But since the oil and gas companies are paying for the politicians campaigns, it's unlikely it will happen.

Dey Terk My Jerb!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: driver on July 21, 2017, 21:25:35 PM

Yes, follow the money.

I see nothing wrong with anyone or any enterprise turning a profit, but not at the expense of others.  In the case of this pipeline, as opponents have asked, is this line even needed? 

And if it is needed, why this particular route?  This line will dissect terrain that's only disturbance was timbering many, many moons ago.  The land may very well be the most pristine, undisturbed in the state. 

And this is not a case of NIMBY with me; the line is well to the north.  In fact, if the damned thing is sure to be constructed, then I would prefer they move the route south, closer to my area, where Dominion already has left a footprint with their huge pump storage project. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon