Big Hole River and Landscape at Notch Bottom

Started by twinbridges, June 20, 2014, 18:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinbridges

Fished the Big Hole yesterday from Divide down to Melrose at about 4,000 cfs with good clarity.  There were some big salmon flies hanging in the willows and we caught some damn nice trout on top.  Interestingly they were not eating the salmon fly fly but rather the Chubby.  Go figure.  But they damn sure would slam it if you got it tight to the bank.  Nicest fish was a 19 inch brown with shoulders of a weightlifter.  Fun fun day rolling down the river at a fast pace.  You had to cast fast and accurate or int he bushes you go.  Two feet from the bank was a no show.  Six inches would likely get an eat.  The float is near 15 miles but at these flows you could do 20 easy.

Today went up to the buttes near Notch Bottom to take some pics.  Lots of geology students from all over the USA come here because the geology is very complex and interesting with lots of different things going on.  I asked a TA from U. of Minnosoto (sp?) about how the river formed the notch it flows through.  She says if you look and she is right the balsalt is off set just there indicating a fault and the river just slid into the fault.  Good to know..

Rhody

I miss fishing with you in your backyard, what is runoff situation this year?
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

twinbridges

We are looking good.  Lots of rain and snow lately.  Big Hole at 3,000 cfs and it would appear that the season is going to be good for the duration.  But I don't want to jinx it so officially I am going with "maybe".

when are you coming this way??

Trout Maharishi

I always enjoy your reports and great photographs. I talked to my son today. He works for the Montana Conservation Corps and he said they had been working over near the Big Hole Battlefield the last couple weeks. He said they had been killing them in some of the smaller streams close to the state park they had been staying at. He said to rush up an order of Psycho Princes, Black Girdle bugs, and Purple Haze parachutes.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flatlander

Quote from: twinbridges on June 23, 2014, 11:27:05 AM

when are you coming this way??

If I leave now, I'll be there by Monday afternoon.  What's for dinner?

Keep the reports coming.

twinbridges

That area up by the Big Hole Valley is as good as it gets.  Big old purple Chubbys have been the ticket lately. 

Rhody

still trying to figure out how to get out, looking at a few dates, but family obligations are keeping clouds on horizon, glad you aren't ever leaving out there, might be next summer
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Richard WT

"It is always the novice who exaggerates"
-C.S. Lewis

www.moriston.com