News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Interesting Subculture

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, June 02, 2014, 22:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Sat. evening I went to my first truck pull.  It was fun, actually.  Interesting how the loyalty to a particular make shapes the participants and the crowd (Ford vs Chevy for example), and how a certain make of truck with a specific size of engine block pulls better than others.  I know nothing about mechanical stuff, even though my dad was a mechanic most his life, but this event appealed to my hayseed side. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Late to the party???? :o

Honest, true story. With my redneck hand on the bible.

I did this shit when it first got rollin' in the late 70's. Yeah, the 70's.
We had an old F-250 4x4 that come out of the coalfields. 360 engine, 4.11 gears. It was deemed Uncle Henry. It was a stump puller.
It was eat up with rust. We had to put cardboard in the floorboards and shovel dirt in to cover that so we could pass inspection. A piece of plywood went into the bed because the tractor weights broke through the first time we tossed them in. Those fuckers were cast iron, 105lbs. When they fall out on Rt. 360, it ain't pretty. The sides of the bed would flap in the breeze if you left the gate down. It was a stump puller.
For a bonus, we welded a half barrel in the front of the bed for a keg, ran lines and a CO2 bottle and installed a Budweiser tap in the dash. We were idiots, but popular idiots.
For the coup de grace, we beat Chevys. With regularity. In a stock class, with a beat up Ford that had over 100k miles (maybe 200K, we did not know), we beat big block Chevys that we knew were cheating. They officials were all over that truck ever time we won. Some times the compression test yielded an almost dead cylinder. Uncle Henry had a strong following. It was a stump puller.

rbphoto

I have photographed a few truck & tractor pulls and I never cease to be amazed at the amount of time, effort and money poured into some of these endeavors.

Tractors with nearly 100K extra into them (and those are not the dedicated pulling tractors, just the farm tractors souped up) and daily driven street trucks that can run 12-second 1/4 miles and pull the sleds to 300' +

Oh, and they start them early . . .

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Doug, very cool!  I thought I saw some of your descendants at this pulling event in Highland County.  Also, while there and viewing, I was shocked by the number of attractive babes, most wearing cowboy boots.  A younger man could do well in this environ.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: rbphoto on June 03, 2014, 06:09:19 AM
I have photographed a few truck & tractor pulls and I never cease to be amazed at the amount of time, effort and money poured into some of these endeavors.

Very true, it seemed to be a pricey, $ and time, endeavor (plus a lot of sh*t breaking that would need fixin'), BUT it is not a delicate, slow, sissy sport like our fly flinging. 

benben reincarnated

Sounds like the shit you see at a NASCAR race or better yet a small town clay oval.  Yes, I know first hand about both.

rbphoto

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on June 03, 2014, 06:15:55 AM

Very true, it seemed to be a pricey, $ and time, endeavor (plus a lot of sh*t breaking that would need fixin'), BUT it is not a delicate, slow, sissy sport like our fly flinging.

Apparently, Tranny has all of the above locked down solid when it comes to time and $$ spent and sh*t broken.

And I'm not so certain that some of the blueliners would take kindly to your characterization of this as "delicate, slow, sissy sport" . . .

That being said, drag racing is my preferred non-sissy sport. 

Such as  . . . https://flic.kr/s/aHsiZ7Y9oF
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Big J

Ben, tractor pulls seem to draw the "good ole boys".  Nascar tends to draw the white trash type.  Stereotyping of course.  Nascar is fun to attend though just for observing purposes.

RB, I take no offense to the delicate, slow, sissy sport statement.  Can't get any more sissy than hiking into a piss trickle of a stream to catch 6 inch colorful brook trout.  Whenever I show my wife a picture of the fish I catch, I usually hear "aw, that's a cute little fish".   b';

P.S.  I feel like someone is going to edit my last sentence........

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: rbphoto on June 03, 2014, 07:09:21 AM
And I'm not so certain that some of the blueliners would take kindly to your characterization of this as "delicate, slow, sissy sport" . . .

The "delicate, slow, sissy sport" is not mine, although I happen to agree.  It is the property of a fly angling guide that I communicate with from time to time. 

As for "bluelines", we both agree that the easiest trout to catch are those "blueline" fish.  Tailwater and spring creek fish, or even most stockers are much more difficult to take with a fly.

Speaking of subcultures, the ninnies that coined "blueline" are obviously sissy-like, if they have to define their mountain stream haunts with a replacement word that makes no sense. 

And Big J's small trout/length dilemma is not unique to marital untruths.  J's wife like all of our wives think the measurement noted in the below photo is 6 inches, because that is what we told them during consummation.  They just never bothered to confirm.  Silly wives!  Naturally, the newly hitched Dude is excluded from the generalization; I am sure we've heard the stories. 

I did not see one person that I would consider a "blueliner" at the truck pull.   

Jfey

QuoteA younger man could do well in this environ

Until they meet Papa...

Growing up in Ohio horse pulls were all the rage at the local fairs and such.  The trucks were the opening act, but the crowds came for the horses.  Not as cool as Doug's story(and not as long ago) , but my good friend raised Clydesdale horses for pulling and his Dad was a small town celebrity of sorts for his dominance.  As a teen, I thought I was pretty cool that I had infield access to these events.  It was all about the food they ate and how much they "worked" them prior to the events.  Looking back, I am sure there were some extra ingredients added to their meals.  Good times
Yup, going fishing

DRIFTS

Man, I remember one time seeing a horse pull... sumbitches were all musceled up on steroids, or something? Never will forget that :o
Oh yeah, I like when my wife sees a picture my musky..." Oh my!"  /'/
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Woolly Bugger

In Maine we saw oxen, horse and tractor pulls at the same venue
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

bmadd

You fellas are high-class! Here in the west side of the Great State of Tinasee (phonetic spelling), we only pull with lawn mowers  d:b

Transylwader

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on June 03, 2014, 08:33:36 AM
Quote from: rbphoto on June 03, 2014, 07:09:21 AM

As for "bluelines", we both agree that the easiest trout to catch are those "blueline" fish.  Tailwater and spring creek fish, or even most stockers are much more difficult to take with a fly.

Speaking of subcultures, the ninnies that coined "blueline" are obviously sissy-like, if they have to define their mountain stream haunts with a replacement word that makes no sense. 

I did not see one person that I would consider a "blueliner" at the truck pull.
As someone who is a Professor of curmudgeonry and insects, I thought you might appreciate that is was dudes like YOU who coined the phrase "blueline". This from Wikipedia (and other asshole affiliates who claim to know everything:
Intermittent and ephemeral streams[edit]
A perennial stream is one which flows continuously all year.[5]:57 Some perennial streams may only have continuous flow in segments of its stream bed year round during years of normal rainfall.[6][7]
Blue-line streams are perennial streams and are marked on topographic maps with a solid blue line.

Duh, it's that easy, mayne. Think of me as a perrenial stream (constant flow and trout) Think of yourself as intermittent (seldom and flaccid) That would make a blue line a rather good place to be, since there's "trout" in those streams :laugh:
As for bluelining being a sissy sport? It's not a sport, mayne, it's a way of life for me during certain times of the year, although several of you dudes monicking as blueliners are sissies and wouldn't dare fish in Ashe Co and share a toke of meth with a local. Sure, I consider it sissy-like to catch pune fish in a pristine environment, but it beats the hell out of standing in a tail water and having to rub shoulders with a group of curmudgeon's talking about the "glory days" and what type of bug is coming off and whether the evening rise will be as good as last night or what the stock exchange is going to do in September.
A truck pull? I went to the lawnmower races in Sparta, NC in 2009. then the hog hollering contest in Spivey's Corner, NC. Reminds me of a good friend who parttakes in Civil War re-enactments, where the Southerners "win". one word: SHAME :embarassed: That's my opinion on all of this, and much like everyone elses opinion, it can be taken, rolled and put in your pipe or shoved up your ass, mayne.

Jfey

Wait, you have meth?  call me <-;:

As for the fishing, there is no right or wrong way as long as you are enjoying it in the moment and bring back memories.
Yup, going fishing