News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Success on the River!

Started by Dee-Vo, May 20, 2014, 20:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

I spent 9 hours wading today. Took the fly rod of course with high hopes and somewhat low expectations. I'm getting the hang of it nicely and quickly I think. I tied on an elk hair caddis that received lots of attention but the fish would never commit fully. I tied on a Dave's Hopper with a nymph dropper with no luck (lost both of those). Then came the black wooly bugger. This thing is the ticket.

First 8 fish were rock bass and redbreasts. This made my day alone seeing how I haven't caught any of those little bass in ages. None of them were large but I had a nice sized one come out from under a rock 3 times after the fly only to spit it out immediately. I wish I would've caught it.

The last two fish were interesting. This was my first river long rod trip. I didn't expect to catch a trout even though that's what I was targeting ultimately. I seen a few trout as I approached a pool and spooked them. Minutes later I landed the beautiful rainbow pictured. This is where I think luck played a huge part. I moved on up river and maybe an hour after I caught the rainbow it happened. I hook into and pull from the depths the biggest trout I've ever brought to hand. I had no way of measuring it but it was mid twenties or there about!!! It was a pig in my book and a formidable opponent on the fly rod. I wanted to stay longer but I had reached my stopping destination and headed back to civilization.

I may as well sale every piece of spinning gear I own. It'll do nothing but collect dust from here on out.

I seen two snakes that looked exactly like small copperheads. Watersnakes? I don't know and frankly don't care. Also, I found a neat looking snail/slug and took a quick picture.

As always, I hauled out beer cans, sardine cans, wads of fishing line and a metal bracket of some sort.

I took a pic of this bluehead chub that was barely alive with something funky going on with his head and eyes.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Michael Toris

Were the snakes sticking out of pants zippers? Did they make you feel "flushed" when you gazed upon them?

troutrus

Nice report Wademaster. Great pictures.

Dee-Vo

Thanks for the replies fellas. Especially you wildmttrout, you're something special. Good luck on the water.

DRIFTS

Poor ole sucker, recon he got snake bit? Post up a intro and it may help to include a little puneage too.  /'/
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: DRIFTS on May 22, 2014, 09:19:37 AM
Poor ole sucker, recon he got snake bit? Post up a intro and it may help to include a little puneage too.  /'/

Don't you mean poonage?   Not that I really care, but I like for our resident younger swinging units and Doug to remain happy and sassy.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Transylwader

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on May 22, 2014, 09:38:40 AM
Quote from: DRIFTS on May 22, 2014, 09:19:37 AM

Don't you mean poonage?   Not that I really care, but I like for our resident younger swinging units and Doug to remain happy and sassy.   
Puneage? Haha. I have never laughed so hard... :laugh: :embarassed:
Swinging units? C'mon Mudders, mate...here's some learnings