News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Marmot Artemis

Started by The Dude, May 02, 2014, 11:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

Anybody have any experience with this shell?  It is out of my price range, but do you really think it could be 140% more breathable than other technologies and still be 100% waterproof?  I'm always looking for a good waterproof shell that is light and breathable for those backcountry trips up small tribs in the summer time, so if it really is the tits, I might have to keep an eye out for one on sale in a few years.  I've got an old PreCip shell that I have been very satisfied with, but this could be a game-changer.

http://marmot.com/products/details/artemis-jacket

Artemis Jacket
$250.00  | #30890  | New

Softshell or hardshell? The Artemis Jacket is the best of both. The state-of-the-art, hyper breathable 2.5-layer NanoPro™ MemBrain® fabric is up to 140 percent more breathable that previous technologies, allowing for stop-and-go functionality needed for alpine endeavors. Completely waterproof with a 100 percent seam-taped construction, this versatile hooded shell has strategically placed Pack Pockets™, an athletic design and quick-venting PitZips™ equipping you to take on life in the mountains.

I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Check out the colors!  Even the black is butt ugly!  Dude, we need to talk!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Grannyknot

Quote from: The Dude on May 02, 2014, 11:32:30 AM
.................... but do you really think it could be 140% more breathable than other technologies and still be 100% waterproof? 

No.  It may be 140% more breathable than any of the previous proprietary fabrics Marmot has used, but if you develop a fabric that is 140% more breathable than Gore-Tex or eVent, you don't keep it to yourself to use on a handful of jackets, you sell the licensing for everyone to use it.

I had a precip jacket one time.  In about a year, it turned into what equated to be a leaky garbage bag.
Had some obvious issues that I called them about.  They said it was normal wear and tear and wasn't a warranty issue.
No more Marmot for me.

This is the picture I took when I tried to send it back to them in 2006.
The fabric de-lamination is about 1000% worse now.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Transylwader

Who the fuck picks out the colors? Ghey ass Snowbruddahs? Puke green into steamy guacamole diarrhea...

sanjuanwormhatch

My OR Goretex jacket (per Dude's rec I believe) is still going strong.  I've even run in it.  Not going to say I didn't steam it up but certainly more breathable than 99% of the other jackets out there.

RiverbumCO

Im in the OR camp.  Mine needs Nikwax though.  Shes getting old.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Michael Toris

Ive got the cheapest patagucci one. Torrent shell. Good coat. Wash in is the shit

Aka

I had the precip for a summer before losing it somewhere, I didn't shed many a tear over the loss. It was perhaps the greatest vapor barrier ever created. I'd hike for half an hour and the inside of it would be soaked with sweet, sweat condensate.  I've since bought an orvis something or other jacket off eBay at a greatly reduced price which, if I understand correctly, I can return yearly and exchange for the latest styling they have come up with.