News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Summer floats

Started by Onslow, April 30, 2014, 09:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

I will try to do about 6 or floats during the course of this upcoming late Spring, Summer, early Fall.  These floats will occur primarily on the Yadkin but may include tributaries of the Yadkin and New water levels permitting.  Small toons, shorter kayaks, and canoes are best suited for the tribs while jon boats and the rest will be fine on the Yad.  Sometimes it is necessary to float the smaller stuff if the water is too high on the larger flows There is a narrow window for  jon boat floating on the Yadkin. Thus far, Gillman, Mecnc, and I believe Jfey have expressed interest in such floats.  If anyone has vessels suitable for floating and want to be notified when I hit the water, let me know.  The vast majority of these floats will be on Sundays.

Sample pics from last year

G's back yard

Somewhere in SW Va.

Jfey

Your belief is correct.  Have kayak, will travel.
Yup, going fishing

Transylwader

Eh, I have an inner tube of a tractor tire that I nagger rigged with a piece of 8"x2" and it's about 5ft long. It works here in Raleigh on the Neuse to surprise those snooty schlong nosed gars. I may buy a floatie device this year but really need a trailer so I can just knick someones bote...

FlyFisher22

I love to float and would like to check out the area.  Have pontoon and large trailer that can shuttle several boats..... 

Cam

natureboy

I'd consider a Sunday skinny water float in SWVA.  Picked up a canoe this winter that needs a test-drive.

Onslow

Quote from: natureboy on April 30, 2014, 10:47:25 AM
I'd consider a Sunday skinny water float in SWVA.  Picked up a canoe this winter that needs a test-drive.

Ohio basin or Tennessee?

T5Video

I would be glad to tag along to give the Power Drifter a worthy float. I prefer Saturdays but I can certainly make a Sunday or 6.

Thanks

Woolly Bugger

Da bugger has an old toon and rec kayaks, but not the sit on top kind
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

natureboy

Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on April 30, 2014, 12:07:12 PM
Ohio basin or Tennessee?

Either, but have had my eye on the NF for while.

Michael Toris

I'll bring a boat and shit yo

Onslow

Quote from: T5Video on April 30, 2014, 13:48:32 PM
I would be glad to tag along to give the Power Drifter a worthy float. I prefer Saturdays but I can certainly make a Sunday or 6.

Thanks
Looks like the a ride that would be well suited for chasing Smallmouth Buffalo in the Pee Dee just upstream of Blewitt.
It works here in Raleigh on the Neuse to surprise those snooty schlong nosed gars.

There used to be some beasts in the Neuse right where Richland Creek enters.  Spotted 2 in 1988 that were pushing 6' long.  My brother was in a float tube floating among about 50 of them while they were beaking.  He became a little pale when he saw the biggun about 3' away from his float tube.

QuoteYour belief is correct.  Have kayak, will trave

JFey, If you have a hankering for small jaws and spots, I will hook you up with some water near my house.  If you would like to try a relatively local, underexploited, rocky Fall Line river, that is probably chock full of largemouth, I have my eyes on a river not far from you.  A Cat. float may happen in May if the dam is turned off on a weekend day or if the water is shut off early.  I'll float the Cat at 700 or less, but not 1600 cfs.

Will try to post float dates on shout box within three days of the floats.  Muddy water is always a concern, and to a lesser extent, volume.  The Yadkin has right much push even at 800 cfs and have no interest in floating it at all over 1200 cfs on the Elkin gage.  Bear this in mind, I know the river a just a little and it will take me the rest of my life to learn this river and it's many miles of water.  I do know the Spring season is generally slow and things heat up in June.

G, gonna do some recon near the feed plant.  I hear there are some monsta carps there near Burch.

croaker

I'd be interested in some Sunday floats (my only fer sure day off).
Depending on travel time to them flows from down here...

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Beetle

I am definitely interested but need to find a ride!   

Michael Toris

K, find me some damn river carp in NC. We need to float that sumbitch

NCsporksman

have a 2 man sit atop yak or the 17' mohawk, can accomodate whoever needs a float, I can swing a Sunday for weird fish