News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Old Haunts

Started by rbphoto, March 23, 2014, 07:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbphoto

I thought very seriously about chasing Leroy SAturday, but decided that I didn't want to drive 2+ hrs, hike in 3+ miles with lots of elevation change, only to get an hour or two worth of fishing in. 

So, I decided to look up an old haunt with an abundance of South Carolina brookies.

Usually, I don't combine photography and fishing.  The day wasn't much different for most of the time, but I did have my phone with me and I figured when I start reporting the sheer numbers of fish I caught, ain't nobody round here gonna believe me unless I post proof.

I was reminded that I am an out of shape middle aged man who needs to get out more.  The trail starts out with a decent gradient, but gets much better about 1/2 mile in.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The beech leaves still cling to their branches.  No one has been down the path in at least a couple of weeks.  Owl pellets and coyote scat lie undisturbed.  The spring azures are out in force as are the woodpeckers - downy and pileated.  The path in seems to be going in the wrong direction.  Always has, but it does lead to the stream a couple of miles along.

Once I arrived at my chosen starting point, I figured it was time for a little streamside snack

And then I proceeded to LDR the first 9 fish, which would hit anything subsurface, but not the stimulator I tied on as a strike indicator.  That would change.

Today was the first 30+ fish day I've had in over a decade. I think I will fish in SC more often . . .

May as well start with a few dinks.

I released this one fish, and was surprised that it found a quiet little nave in which to hide (for about 5 minutes) as I plied more brethren from the safety of the underwater cathedral from whence it came.

I think it's early to be seeing this butterfly.

And I was very surprised to see a Pipevine Swallowtail this early as well.

This was the largest fish I landed, and I lost two that were at least this size or a little larger.

There were tons of plunge pools but fish could, and were, found in riffles, undercuts, and anywhere that even remotely looked fishy.

I caught 3 different fish just as my dry indicator hit the current and I went to back cast at the end of a pool.  I finally starting getting strikes on my indicator fly so switched up to something a little smaller.  I ended up catching fish on a Hendrickson (size 12 strike indicator), Caddis, Stimulators, March Browns, and a couple of others.  Subsurface was PT nymphs, Copper Johns (gold, red, copper, blue), wooly buggers (black, red, green, black with flash, green with flash) - these fish didn't care what they ate, probably because there was an abundance of insect life throughout the stream.

And I finished off the day by going to see David Wilcox play at The Handlebar in Greenville.  It was a good way to relax with my wife and he always puts on a great show.

Gotta look up old haunts more often.

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Dougfish

Damn nice!  'c;
The 30+ fish days are starting, for sure.

RiverbumCO

Cool lookin crick, mayne.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

sanjuanwormhatch

Big J

Transylwader

Quote from: rbphoto on March 23, 2014, 07:18:27 AM
I released this one fish, and was surprised that it found a quiet little nave in which to hide (for about 5 minutes) as I plied more brethren from the safety of the underwater cathedral from whence it came.
Eloquent wording there my good sir. Bluelining dictionary use scores you major points V:;
SC brook trouts next on the radar, now if I can find my way down that escarpment without killing myself...

rbphoto

Quote from: Transylwader on March 24, 2014, 08:52:25 AM
Quote from: rbphoto on March 23, 2014, 07:18:27 AM
Eloquent wording there my good sir. Bluelining dictionary use scores you major points V:;
SC brook trouts next on the radar, now if I can find my way down that escarpment without killing myself...

I really hoped to find some in this drainage.  I am fairly certain they are further up.

If you would make certain to get bitch-slappin' drunk before climbing down that escarpement you would probably land safe and sound at the bottom.

Or we could hike the long way in . . .

but what would that be . . .

I haven't been on a wilderness rescue operation in a very long time.
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM

benben reincarnated

How much does it cost per hour to rent a helo?   How good are you at fast roping?

rbphoto

1.  If you have to ask, you can't afford it.  Maybe we could just send a drone copter with a video cam down after him.

2.  Never had the pleasure of jumping out of anything airborne, rope or otherwise.  Rappelling, though - that I've done.  Now, I think I would probably piss myself just thinking about an Aussie descent.

c.  who rents a helo and fast ropes after Tranny?  All his gear will be broken anyway, and that before he starts the descent . . .

Transylwader

Easy chief, I am worth my 192lbs (rugby made me super light!) In Leroy Brown. Some dude spilled his guts this w/e over SC. I'm returning to said area armed with Steelrains AR-15 and several thousand rounds(coz those SC folk make South Africans look like gentry) brook brown n rainbow tits beware!

rbphoto

bring yer streamers, cause I think the forecasts calls for rain . . . and bring your Kevlar, cause those SC boys are accurate.  Hah! 

Tranny sucks trout tits!  Why am I not surprised. 

And somebody smack Dylar for telling Mikey.  The world will know SC's fish secrets the first time somebody gets Mike liquored up and he starts jabberin'

The Dude

Quote from: rbphoto on March 25, 2014, 04:53:56 AM
And somebody smack Dylar for telling Mikey.  The world will know SC's fish secrets the first time somebody gets Mike liquored up and he starts jabberin'

You joke, but that is exactly how it will happen.  Prepare for random dudes from Raleigh and beyond showing up on your favorite streams going forward.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: The Dude on March 25, 2014, 05:48:06 AM

You joke, but that is exactly how it will happen.  Prepare for random dudes from Raleigh and beyond showing up on your favorite streams going forward.

:laugh:

rbphoto

Quote from: The Dude on March 25, 2014, 05:48:06 AM

I wasn't joking. 

I've trout fished SC and WNC since I was 17 (now 44) and certain streams I never would've thought to fish have been divulged.

DADT is so over and done with.

That being said, Dylar was just returning the favor of Mike sharing (although I'm not certain Cataloochee counts as "sharing") stream info.  His SC info isn't exactly secret.  The number of places to fish in SC are miniscule compared to WNC.

The Dude

Quote from: rbphoto on March 25, 2014, 06:54:44 AM

DADT is so over and done with.

That mentality is why I don't go fishing with a bunch of different people or pass much (if any) info to others.  You seem like a stand-up guy that I'm sure I would enjoy to hang out with, but if the discussion ever move3d to fishing and streams, you'll find me to get awfully quiet all of a sudden. 

It means that I don't get info from others, but that is something I'm willing to miss out on.  I seem to be able to find a fish here and there in the meantime.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.