Sell me some waders.

Started by Dougfish, February 24, 2014, 14:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Help a brutha out. Like Tranny breaks rods, I kill waders. Just as fast or faster than boots. I don't buy the priciest gear in the world. Maybe that's my issue? I read reviews on the pricier stuff and it's a mixed bag. My last two pairs of Cabela's Dry Plus chest waders, sprang leaks, had seams/stitching open up, started losing tape on the bootie seams. I can't even remember what I killed before them. 18 mos. is as good as it gets for me. I need the chesties for the winter and the tail waters.
I really don't want to spend over $250. I'm a little skeptical right now. But if I have to, OK. Convertable would be a nice touch.

Sell me. What works for you.

Transylwader

DJ, alls you need are knee pads and a zip at the back. Tbe better for the bluelines to fukk you with!
I have had the Orvis Silver Sonic convertibles for almost 18 months and they are the shit. I have gone through about 5 pairs of waders in the past 6 years, primarily because the blueline vegetation of SNP had it's way with at least 3 pairs (damn nettle and brier) and then the other two sprung leaks from abuse (leaving them in a car over the summer to where they cracked and split at seams etc. I have paid $280 for the use of waders over these 8 years. That's Orvis for ya. I started out with a pair of Tailwaters XT and got a free pair of boots on a sale in Feb of 2008. They lasted until April of 2009. I got ProGuide 3's (2 pairs) they died after 8-1- months, then I got sonic seam ones that were rather good, now I have the convertibles which to date have been the best waders I have owned.  You can sometimes get em on the cheap. Ask Steelrain and Lipstick Dipstick. One bonus is the way you can unclip the suspenders and whip your wang out without having to undo all that shit and still end up pissing yourself. I pee alot (maybe Im diabetic) and it's a convenience bar none, and they have all these fancy schmancy waterproof pouches for you to carry your  <-;:  and  0:0 so they are really good in my books.
If only I could take one of my old wetsuits and cut out knee pads and stick em to the fronts, that would be the ultimate bluelining winter waders ever. I'd rather bang up my knee than be told I cant switch out the waders because they have been modified or tampered with.
Some people swear by Simms, I say fuck em.

benben reincarnated

Ditch the waders, save the money, headache, and sweaty balls on the hike out. 

snagaluffaguss

Been wearing a pair of G4s for four seasons and am gonna try to get one more out of them.  That's 250 plus days a year in them.  They look like hell the gravel guards are destroyed and the zippers all busted but nothing more than a few pin hole leaks. Easy fix as they turn black when you spray them with rubbing alcohol on the inside so they are easy to find. With 5 layers of Gortex all the way to the hip the pinholes are few and far between. And contrary to popular or rather convienient belief I'm busting brush quite a bit.

Waders are like everything else you will get what ya pay for.

sanjuanwormhatch

What about the redington waders?  Seem to be somewhat tough for a somewhat affordable price.

benben reincarnated

These look pretty bulletproof, and the locals swear by them:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-Hip-Waders-Size-10/16617747

And if you are worried about your stick and balls getting wet, get these, good ole' PVC:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11124190&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.4414925

Transylwader

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on February 24, 2014, 19:09:09 PM
And contrary to popular or rather convienient belief I'm busting brush quite a bit.
I want to see a picture of you fishing around Devils Elbow 8)

_Fish_Pimp

Redingtons are fine. But Simms are freakin sweet. The headwaters waders are goretex 3 layer, seams on the front of the leg, seem to be a reasonable price. I've got g3s. They're great. If you get a good wader you won't have leaks and have to get new ones all the time which will save ya some cash in the long run. Orvis waders are decent but I'd get the Redington sonics over them, they're much more substantial. My brother has the orvis convertables

Shane

wore a pair of Simms guide waders for about five years and they finally gave out. Been in a pair of Patagonias for a few years now. The first pair I had leaked on the boot seam after about six trips. I called patagonia and they didn't have any more of those in my size so they upgraded me to their next best model and I can't ever see wearing anything else. I think they are Rio Azuls? Dang sweet.  I'd get those.

consumnfire1229

http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx

Simms Blackfoot...on sale for $99.00

2 weeks ago, you said mine looked brand new.  This is the 3rd season my friend. 

If I switch from Simms, it will be Patagonia...strictly because of Shane's positive experience.
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Transylwader on February 25, 2014, 12:02:38 PM
Quote from: snagaluffaguss on February 24, 2014, 19:09:09 PM
And contrary to popular or rather convienient belief I'm busting brush quite a bit.
I want to see a picture of you fishing around Devils Elbow 8)

Granted I'm not wearing waders

Transylwader

Bastage! Well played Snag,hope you had a good inning up there. Miss that place and its residents.

Trout Maharishi

2 words, hip boots. Forget those expensive waders. Hip boots even let your junk air out.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on February 26, 2014, 00:51:43 AM
2 words, hip boots. Forget those expensive waders. Hip boots even let your junk air out.

Word
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

TM...it's time to retire that picture.